No announcement yet.

Mario Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 100%ed the main game now. The hard Bowser boss fight isn't really hard at all, especially with the level of cappy control I now have.

Balloon World requires quite a bit more grinding to get up the levels than I anticipated. I will try to take that slow to get the true 100% where

Luigi's balloons turn gold.

This game!

Comment

I recently started this again because I foolishly sold my first Switch. It's just a real joy to play.

I noticed the first world (Cap Kingdom?) has 17 moons. I thought I was being thorough at the start, but I didn't see too many, if any at all. Do these moons appear later or was I just being n00b? I haven't bothered to return as I'm trying to whiz back to where I was on my first Switch (New Donk).

Is this one of the best Mario games ever? I'd say it's up there with Super Mario World, Mario 64 and possibly Galaxy.

Comment

They are all there. More appear later but they are not included in the initial 17. Some are very cleverly hidden.

Use polygons guide to look at the name of a moon you are missing as a hint, then use amiibo/hint toad for the location if that doesn't help.

Also there are various methods that are repeated across kingdoms. Move on then come back later with fresh eyes and ideas and you will find some.

Comment

Recently picked this up again after taking a LONG break from it when I got to 600 Power Moons.

I'm currently at 755 Power Moons and just in the process of 100 percent-ing the levels post-game. Managed to finish off the Snow Kingdom last night but not before being left considerably annoyed by the last S-level Bound Grand Prix!
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 10-08-2018, 21:00.

Comment

For some reason I'm 100%ing Balloon World but the later levels are really unreasonable!

Comment

Currently at 870 Power Moons. Just the Dark Side and Darker Side of The Moon to polish off now - hoping I can get it all done by the end of the weekend.

Good to know that The Broodals are just as irritating post-game as they were in the main game!
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 10-08-2018, 21:08.

Comment

Darker Side of The Moon proving to be troublesome now. Can get two-thirds of the way through the run before making a complete hash of the section that requires using the bird with the funny beak to climb those swinging wooden boards. Not helping that I'm now on 996 Power Moons so completing this would finish the post-game for me (barring the remaining costumes which I'd obviously have to coin-grind for).

Not letting it annoy me though, as Odyssey is still a lot of fun to play. SF definitely wrong about claiming that most of the Moons were a case of walk up and collect - they definitely are not unless he was using a walkthrough guide.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-08-2018, 21:19.

Comment

Keep trying. I never had a problem with that part personally. Probably had 30 runs before nailing it. Patience is key.

For coin grinding play Balloon World. Oddly fun, that. I have something like 3 stars remaining.

Comment

I never finished that. Got to the section where you're on the platform and the little spiked guys mob you and I never beat it.

Comment

My son wants to still play this, but now I've done all the levels, the thrill's gone for me.
                      I mean, not all the moons are walk up to somebody, but I'm not putting on my "Top Mario Moments" list things like running in a perfect circle or running across the moon map with a frog.

He wants to talk to every NCP, whilst I want to find moons/special coins.
                      So it's not holding my interest as much as Galaxy 2, post-completion, as the motivation was trying new things on the maps, rather than activate cubes and find the moons. I also thought the pointer to hold monsters was more useful than player 2 controlling Cappy.
                      He wouldn't even let me cane around Peach's castle on the scooter!
                      I was trying to do a hella tough mission where the lava is constantly rising and you can't make a mistake and he was getting bored waiting, so we had to knock it on the head.
                      I'd have tried after he'd gone to bed, but my wife nabs the Switch for Stardew Valley!

Ultimately, I love playing the game with him, though.

Comment

This game negatively affected my enjoyment of video games. It was so much better than almost everything else that I haven't properly enjoyed playing anything new since. The same thing happened with Breath of the Wild before it too, and Polybius. Milk won't do after you've had cream.

Comment

Did you get all the moons?

I feel like there's three player states:
                          1. Played the game and enjoyed it.
                          2. Couldn't get all the moons and slightly resent it.
                          3. Collected all the moons and have a sense of achievement (but slightly resent it for those tough ones).

Comment

Yeah, I got 'em all.

Comment

I think for your number 2, QC, there is a point at which some of us need to make our peace with knowing when to bow out of a game. I don't mind that I didn't get all the moons here. What I played was amazing. With Zelda BotW, I felt the ending wasn't great and the DLC was a stinker and so I didn't complete it but the main bulk of what I played was incredible. And I'm okay with not having got 100% of everything.

For devs, there is a tricky line with post-game content though because the other side of this is that what could have been a really satisfying ending can sometimes be undermined by the post-game stuff. So while I'm okay with the stuff above, there is a difference in impact between finishing a game at the end credits and just leaving a game because you have grown bored or frustrated. Would Odyssey have been a better game if it hadn't had the post-game stuff? I don't know. Maybe?

Comment

I'd love some Odyssey DLC...

Comment

Working...
                                X