Mario Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mario Odyssey

Having now seen all there is to see I have to say it's a brilliant game. Not quite up there with the Galaxies perhaps, but it tops 64 and Sunshine and is definitely the most giving Mario game. Do something well - the game rewards you, reach a difficult-to-get-to spot - it rewards you, pull off a neat combo - it rewards you. And I like that. That's what good games should do. A very special game, and one of my favourite games of all time.

Hats on everything.

Comment

I've been keeping this to just an hour or so before work each morning so I don't lose momentum on other stuff. Without the rush to see every world I'm taking my time to milk each open one, currently only at 40 Moons but still combing the initial cloud area the game starts at. Going back to it, hot damn, it's so much better than BOTW to play, easily NS's best game of its first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        It's so much better than BOTW to play, easily NS's best game of its first year.
        This. And it's the Switch's best-selling game by a distance.

BOTW isn't even the second best-selling. It's third.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          I've been keeping this to just an hour or so before work each morning so I don't lose momentum on other stuff. Without the rush to see every world I'm taking my time to milk each open one, currently only at 40 Moons but still combing the initial cloud area the game starts at. Going back to it, hot damn, it's so much better than BOTW to play, easily NS's best game of its first year.
          I won't spoil it for you, but just a piece of advice - move on to the next world each time you feel like you want to. Don't try and be a completionist for each one. Suffice to say that can lead to frustrations.

Comment

I've recently gotten back into this, I'm now at 850 odd Moons, and I'm aiming for the 999. It's one of the best games I've ever played to be honest. Each level is a work of art.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I won't spoil it for you, but just a piece of advice - move on to the next world each time you feel like you want to. Don't try and be a completionist for each one. Suffice to say that can lead to frustrations.
              Will do, there's definitely brick walls to progress I can see but I'm getting more moons than I did on the first playthrough so should have a much higher count after the credits than I did first time out. I'm assuming that will open up access to more

Comment

I spent the whole of day one getting around 65 moons on the desert level, then cashing them all in at the same time. That was my favourite day of gaming from last year.

Last edited by dataDave; 17-04-2018, 08:50.

Comment

Collecting moons in Odyssey is totally satisfying in a way that collecting stars and/or shines in 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2 quite frankly never were...or at least it feels that way - I haven't played the other 3D Marios in years and I need to revisit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Collecting moons in Odyssey is totally satisfying in a way that collecting stars and/or shines in 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2 quite frankly never were...or at least it feels that way - I haven't played the other 3D Marios in years and I need to revisit.
                    That's because those stars are basically re-skinned goal posts. In Odyssey they truly are collectibles in the sense that the stage doesn't end once you've grabbed one, nor are the stages purpose-fit for each one. It's a not-so-subtle difference once you look at it that way.

Comment

Very true. It is a refinement of Rare platformers in that sense.

Comment

Yeah, it's essentially a collectathon. But it's actually fun to collect everything because it's so tremendously well designed.

I just love the graphics too. Everything looks so GOOD. I just want to eat those coins.

Comment

I enjoyed my time with Odyssey, but it's not topping Mario World, Mario 64, Galaxy...mostly too easy and most of the moons were forgettable and repetitive. Zelda BOTW was a triumph, this not so much

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife View Post
                            I enjoyed my time with Odyssey, but it's not topping Mario World, Mario 64, Galaxy...mostly too easy and most of the moons were forgettable and repetitive. Zelda BOTW was a triumph, this not so much
                            Can you really compare Odyssey to SMW though?

Comparison with the other 3D Marios? Sure and there is definitely a debate to be had as to where it ranks alongside 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2 (probably moreso the Galaxy games than 64 & Sunshine if we're honest).

In all fairness, BOTW, for all of its undoubted quality, is far, far more repetitive than Odyssey.

Comment

I just felt that Odyssey lacked the polish of older Mario titles. a lot of the stuff felt tacked on, the cubes (extra levels) at the end just felt like an afterthought than something that was meant to be part of the game. very repetitive moons. Defo my worst 3d Mario after Sunshine. I'd play Zelda again easy but not this

Comment

Working...
                              X