Resident Evil 7 (PS4, Xbox, PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil 7 (PS4, Xbox, PC)

[...I shan't go through the rigmarole of first-play explanation of what this is, but shall imagine I'm continuing a long-lost conversation...]

...finished main campaign and Daughters DLC last night. Absolutely loved (almost) every second of it. Apart from a slight lack of enemy variety I think this has the best scares and best story of any Resi so far, with some great twists and turns. I was a bit worried in first 2/3rds that it was completely unrelated to the 'canon', but they incorporated it really well in the later more overtly combat-heavy sections. Looking forward to pitching in to the rest of the DLC over the coming days. My only slight gripe is with the characterization of Ethan and Mia. Considering

she is a lying, murderous, ethically bankrupt person involved in the most wretched bioweapon experimentation on human subjects, Ethan seems all too eager to welcome her back and 'start anew' at the end. The conclusion that "it was all Evie's fault" was stupid, seeing as she'd been surgically manipulated/brainwashed to be a killer by Mia and co. Maybe he's brainwashed too, who knows? Anyway, it's plainly telegraphed that we'll see more of these characters in Resi 8, so hopefully Mia gets her comeuppance there.

Another plot issue:

the old lady's room in the mansion. Who is this old lady that is receiving the medical treatment from the local doctor that we read about in the notes? Obviously it can't be the ageing, wheelchaired Evie (which obviously one is expected to surmise in the early stages), not least because Evie doesn't need conventional 'curing' and the family have already cut themselves off by that point. Odd one, unless there was an earlier grandma that died and whose room they kept as is...

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a Resi plot, though, and one should just enjoy the enthusiastic schlock. Terrific game, in any case.

Is the Not a Hero DLC out yet??

Comment

Yeah, it came out as free DLC alongside the GOTY edition that launched a couple of weeks before Christmas. I've only just started it. It's very good (albeit short, I'm told). Much more combat-focused, unsurprisingly.

Comment

Nice. Been waiting to get stuck into that. I loved this in VR, best experience of 2017 for me.

Your second spoiler Golgo

I thought that was for Evie as she prematurely aged?

Comment

The problem with that explanation, ItsThere, is that

Evie and the whole family were already murderously bat**** insane, so it makes no sense to be reading well reasoned notes from a nice old granny and a local doctor - who seems to have known her for some time - worrying about her health.

I think Capcom just dropped a bollock by attempting too much narrative misdirection at that point...or

maybe the notes are by/for Mrs. Baker the younger (Marguerite)?

Anyway, no matter, Resi plots don't bear too much serious scrutiny.
          Last edited by Golgo; 09-01-2018, 15:00.

Comment

Yeah that second point might be right actually! I did three playthroughs in a row (the last one for the speedrun trophy) so my memory won't be the best! Time to strap on my Redfield boots though

Comment

End of Zoe dlc came out same day as Not a Hero as well. Meant to round off the story properly, albeit with a brilliantly absurd gameplay twist...

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                End of Zoe dlc came out same day as Not a Hero as well. Meant to round off the story properly, albeit with a brilliantly absurd gameplay twist...
                Both of the last two pieces of DLC are excellent, probably the best in the season. Tense, brilliant, all available in VR. I'm really struggling to see why other developers can't replicate what Capcom managed here, this is just the most immersive thing when you put that headset on.

Oh and

Joe Baker

is an absolute legend.

Comment

I've been enjoying the new tech and enemies in not a hero Haven't got psvr, though, think I'd probably die of fright anyway.
                  Last edited by Golgo; 11-01-2018, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                    I've been enjoying the new tech and enemies in not a hero Haven't got psvr, though, think I'd probably die of fright anyway.
                    It totally elevates it to another level. I struggle to play it in "normal" mode now

Comment

It's awesome in VR

Comment

You're braver than I ... it's intense enough on the screen

Comment

Been polishing off some of the last bits of DLC. 'Not a Hero' and 'End of Zoe' were the bigger chunks of DLC and designed to be played to finish off the story: more action-focused than the main campaign and not really scary at all, but absolutely brilliant fun. EoZ is bonkers and, given shift in playstyle/perspective, must be superb in VR. Terrific boss battle, too. 'Bedroom', clearly inspired by Stephen King's 'Misery', was really tense and the highpoint of the smaller bits of DLC for me. 'Daughters' (story-driven observational puzzle), '21' (sadistic game of cards) and 'Nightmare' (horde mode), all worth a dip: All in all the GOTY is a terrific package and the DLC fleshes out and rounds off the campaign story well, opening up some cool new scenarios, characters and relationships for Resi 8.

If Zoe and especially Joe Baker - a legend indeed - aren't officially recruited by Chris into the anti-bioterrorism fight for the next game it'll be a crime .

Haven't attempted the more arcade style DLCs yet ('Jacks 55th Birthday' and 'Ethan Must Die') for fear of overdose, but will definitely come back to them.
                          Last edited by Golgo; 25-01-2018, 16:01.

Comment

Completed it on PSVR and now bought it again on Xbox.Waiting for the X enhancement before starting it again

Comment

I got through the 21 'Survival' mode last night, seeing off the last three opponents with only one pinky finger remaining on my hand. Damn, it was tense - most uptight I've been playing a game for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X