User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Yeah Destiny two may of sold well but a lot of good will has been lost, i know loads of people that did buy the season pass but then i know loads that didnt who where massive destiny fans. i kind of wish i hadn't. id be surprised if a lot of players don't just bin it off once this dlc run is done.
    Definitely has been a noticeable backlash against Bungie and Activision but how that translates to impact on sales will be interesting and only time will tell. I assume any expansion (this year) will take a harder hit than the third game (2019, assuming they return to schedule).

As an aside that doesn't paint the videogame industry in a good light. Taken from this GI.biz article about a company; PlayMob, talking about some new social projects:

For all of the games industry's amazing and generous charitable endeavours, from Special Effect to Humble Bundle, it still contributes less money than any of the major entertainment industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgear View Post
    some muppet who responded that the only PC 'great' gaming age was the late 1990's to early millennium
    I think I'd probably agree with that, tbh!
    Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3: Arena, Kingpin, No One Lives Forever, Max Payne, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Jedi Knight III, Command & Conquer, Full Throttle, Red Alert, Diablo, Duke Nukem 3D, Grand Prix, Civ II, Riven, Age of Empires, Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, Commandos, Hidden & Dangerous, SimCity 3000, The Sims, Black & White and Return to Castle Wolfenstein!

I do think you need to be selective in what you buy now though. I.e. less is more. Just avoid the stuff that does this. Even avoiding it there's still loads to play. That said the impact of all this can be felt. SW:BF2 might have been a corker without the f2p progression system.
    You're going to end up with a two-tier gaming experience where you can either play fairly basic Indie games or you can play polished big studio games, but accept there's an up-front cost, season pass, DLC, loot boxes and in-game purchases to add if you want anything other than a hobbled game that last for more than 3 months.

Still hopefully regulation and greater consumer protection catches up with the industry.
    It's not going to happen.
    The genie is out of the bottle.
    Yeah, Star Wars BFII and Destiny 2 have less players, but they're not going to stop pushing their luck.

Remember Forza 5? You had to grind for years or pay real cash, then everybody complained and they did a u-turn?
    Well here we are and EA and Bungie etc. are still trying to see how far we'll bend (over).

I also feel that there's some psychology involved where some people see these changes as a compassionate move by the publisher (Stockholm Syndrome?) or doing stuff not as bad as before seems OK, but they're still stripping a game down to maximise profits.

I think the phrase to use here is
    Minimum Viable Product

"A minimum viable product (MVP) is the the most pared down version of a product that can still be released. An MVP has three key characteristics:
    • It has enough value that people are willing to use it or buy it initially.
    • It demonstrates enough future benefit to retain early adopters.
    • It provides a feedback loop to guide future development.

The catch to this development technique is that it assumes that early adopters can see the vision or promise of the final product and provide the valuable feedback needed to guide developers forward.

This suggests that technically orientated products used by technical users may be most appropriate for this type of development technique."

https://www.interaction-design.org/l...to-gain-reward
    https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...le-product-mvp

It's continuing a derail to the thread but the current PC era v past PC Golden Era, I'm 100% in the camp that the current state of PC gaming absolutely decimates the late 90's era. As strong as many of the 90's era games were they were niche and spoke to a particular audience, like they were big yet still existed within a bubble. I think the tech excitement carried a lot of the appeal as well in the same way that modern games are much better than 32/64 bit era games yet the advancements aren't as dramatic so nostalgia factors a lot into favouritism for that eras consoles and criticisms of what is released these days. Modern PC gaming... it's never seen the likes of the quality, broad diversity and selection available... I don't think any system has.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    As strong as many of the 90's era games were they were niche and spoke to a particular audience, like they were big yet still existed within a bubble
    Personally I feel part of the mindset that venerates this era comes from people for whom they were that audience, and they're a bit jaded that the industry no longer caters to them as much as it once did.

Definitely has been a noticeable backlash against Bungie and Activision but how that translates to impact on sales will be interesting and only time will tell. I assume any expansion (this year) will take a harder hit than the third game (2019, assuming they return to schedule).
    Certainly I see Bungie in a very different light now, since their staff departures and this whole thing over Destiny.

There seemed to be something of an astroturf PR thing with Destiny 1 to try and thank Bungie for the good bits and blame ActiBlizz for the bad bits, but personally I think that was a ploy. Bungie made the decision to go to Activision of their own volition; it's not like they were naive enough to think that wouldn't affect their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    Personally I feel part of the mindset that venerates this era comes from people for whom they were that audience, and they're a bit jaded that the industry no longer caters to them as much as it once did.

Certainly I see Bungie in a very different light now, since their staff departures and this whole thing over Destiny.

There seemed to be something of an astroturf PR thing with Destiny 1 to try and thank Bungie for the good bits and blame ActiBlizz for the bad bits, but personally I think that was a ploy. Bungie made the decision to go to Activision of their own volition; it's not like they were naive enough to think that wouldn't affect their games.
    Personally I think Activision had a lot less to do with the monumental balls up that was D1 than people think. After all itís not Activision that decides to reboot 2 years worth of work in the last 6 months before deadline, EVERY SINGLE GAME. Bungie only have bungie to blame for that 100% and they repeat the same pattern on every game theyíve ever made. 2 years worth of work only for the whole lot to be thrown out the window mear months before ship date with basically a whole game to sort out.

It worked on Halo: ce, that was an industry defining exception, all they have done since is waste huge amounts of their own time and reasouces repeating the same idiotic pattern.

Itís certinly back fireing now with D1 & D2 as they have set deadlines to meet, they certainly donít seem organised enough to keep to them in a timely fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I think I'd probably agree with that, tbh!
    Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3: Arena, Kingpin, No One Lives Forever, Max Payne, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Jedi Knight III, Command & Conquer, Full Throttle, Red Alert, Diablo, Duke Nukem 3D, Grand Prix, Civ II, Riven, Age of Empires, Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, Commandos, Hidden & Dangerous, SimCity 3000, The Sims, Black & White and Return to Castle Wolfenstein!
    I don't disagree that the 1990's-(early)2000's weren't a great time for PC gamers. It was this more this wally was saying that was the only one 'golden' era and that I must be young or unaware of those games to make this statement. For me after the decline of PC gaming in the mid noughties when piracy, low sales and games not being released on the platform, the PC has returned to a period of strength. I think that there can be multiple great periods and the last 3 to 5 years has been a phenomenal time to be a PC gamer. @Superman Falls hits the nail on the head, in that the depth and breadth of PC gaming now is far greater than it was back then.

However some of the things that have made modern PC gaming great are true of the consoles too, and this is why I used the example in response to @wakka. I wouldn't want to miss out on some of the current great games. 2017 was full of classic game released on lots of formats.

You're going to end up with a two-tier gaming experience where you can either play fairly basic Indie games or you can play polished big studio games, but accept there's an up-front cost, season pass, DLC, loot boxes and in-game purchases to add if you want anything other than a hobbled game that last for more than 3 months.
    In previous generations I would have bought far more games, including lots of the big releases. Where as now I'm spending more time and money but on fewer games. Where as in the past I would have lapped up games like Forza 7 (pardon the pun), SW:BF2 etc. I think even if a game has a business model that stinks you can still play it, I just try and choose carefully now.

I also think it's not that black and white. There's stuff out there like Warframe or Elite Dangerous that are very polished and unique experiences that wouldn't have come out from an AAA publisher. There are multiple tiers of gaming available rather than simple indie or AAA.

It's not going to happen.
    The genie is out of the bottle.
    Yeah, Star Wars BFII and Destiny 2 have less players, but they're not going to stop pushing their luck.
    I think politicians, and public bodies are increasingly becoming aware of these new business models and legislation and policy will catch-up, just perhaps not as fast as we want. PUBG with it's 'cash out' fits the very definition of gambling as recently defined by the UK Gambling Commission. Either way publishers and developers won't have this free reign to themselves forever but I agree lootboxes aren't going to just disappear when such huge sums of money are being made from them.

Btw Destiny has sold more units and been more profitable than the first game, so even if more people have dropped it now, the recent outcry has little or no effect so far on Activision's sales.

Remember Forza 5? You had to grind for years or pay real cash, then everybody complained and they did a u-turn?
    Well here we are and EA and Bungie etc. are still trying to see how far we'll bend (over).
    Not sure if you missed my quote. I believe SW:BF2 will probably be EA's 'Forza 5 moment'. In future they'll simply withhold microtransactions until after the release such as Microsoft do with their games now.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post

I said this on the old forum, but Bungie are massively constrained by that 10-year contract. I am convinced we will get cut and paste style efforts now in the series, mirroring Call of Duty with incremental gameplay built on the same techniques. I believe Bungie's hands were all over the decision to build the game around Eververse. If fact Activision probably weren't as close to the detail of how these systems would work. We still don't know the penalty that Bungie incurred when D2 was delivered a year late, but it was clearly in Bungie's own interests for the game to sell as well as possible. They aren't the only developer who seemingly isn't getting the fair share of the blame *cough* Turn 10 (amongst others).

I regret buying D2 and almost certainly won't buy their games again unless something drastic changes.
    Last edited by Mgear; 11-01-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Who's looking forward to Anthem?

Quote Originally Posted by dataDave View Post
    Who's looking forward to Anthem?
    I'm sure EA were. Now I'm not so sure.

Interesting short opinion piece on how consumer rights on digital products needs to be updated:
    http://www.nerdbite.com/need-digital...r-rights-2018/

Nothing new or surprising, but a recent survey found many developers aren't abandoning Lootboxes and don't see a problem with them:

http://www.pcgamer.com/gdc-survey-in...nt-going-away/ (taken from ResetEra)

The backlash against loot boxes was strong in 2017, but the results of a Game Developers Conference survey of more than 4500 developers who have attended a GDC event in the past three years strongly suggests that they're not going away anytime soon. 11 percent of developers who responded to the survey said they are currently working on a game that will monetize via the sale of "paid item crates," and some developers say they're necessary to ensure the continued stability of the industry.