This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Unless there's a last minute fudge agreement from the EU it seems pretty much locked for a No Deal outcome now so they're probably all thinking might as well get the fun times done on expenses now before the exit happens and they all get booted out of office
    The whole "no deal" thing is going to be a real wake-up call for some people. I can't help but feel many people still think the EU is this far-off thing in a foreign land which doesn't affect them and was just an unnecessary expense. My biggest concern is if the media whip people up into a frenzy and start blaming the EU when the problems start.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      If there is enough groundswell of support shifting to remain, the country will remain.

There isn't a way of making Brexit work because it's stupid. It will always be stupid. That's the main reason there is no progress - if there was something that worked it would have been discovered and shouted from the mountains already. More and more people are starting to realise that's the case.

The best option always has been and will continue to be, to remain in the EU.
      This. 100%.

Too many people on here and elsewhere are being deliberately disingenuous.

Brexit shouldn't be happening and everybody knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Brexit shouldn't be happening and everybody knows it.
        Not everybody.

I don't even want it to happen, but people made that choice, and there are still plenty who stand by that decision for whatever reasons they might have. Hell we have people on this very forum who are pro-Brexit, even now.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          Parliament is currently on holiday. Back on the 4th September, then they're off for another month on the 14th September for the party conference booze up season.
          This just sums up my point perfectly.

Comment

Jeremy Corbyn sets out plan to reshape British media … Australian PM fights for political life … and Asia Argento’s accuser speaks out

Corbyn plans to tax the likes of Facebook and Google more in order to fund the BBC. Oh Jeremy, tis' nice to dream were the UK actually any good at getting the tax they should already be getting... or you likely to get in power next time round.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...to-pay-for-bbc

Corbyn plans to tax the likes of Facebook and Google more in order to fund the BBC. Oh Jeremy, tis' nice to dream were the UK actually any good at getting the tax they should already be getting... or you likely to get in power next time round.
              It's a daft idea in isolation, though to be fair, I think the pervasive opinion of "we can't tax them or they'll take their jobs elsewhere" is dangerous. It sets a precedent where we apparently shouldn't bother forcing companies to work within ethical means because they'll just refuse.

Comment

What I think I find frustrating with Corbyn is that he doesn't seem to have any substance to him and the party is tied into that at the moment. The gains they make feel they come from a place of idealisation - they'll promise nice things but never seem to actually have a reality grounded plan on how to do any of it. We're nearly out of time on Brexit and Labour still don't really have a position on it.

They stay quiet because beyond a couple of vocal voices they're clearly in a Pro-Brexit stance, but considering the high risk of the next General Election post-Brexit I couldn't tell you what Labours plan let alone opinion is on what they'd do if they got into power in that reality... and I still feel it's because they don't know. They should playing hard by now on their vision for post-EU life, building public opinion on what they would practically do in power and yet... silence.

Honestly, for all the mess the last 18 months has been with the Tories, I just don't see a scenario where Labour take control next election if they can't even make decent gains now.

Comment

Looking more likely that the UK and EU will be forced to kick the deal can further down the road meaning No Deal once again rises in possibility

Comment

Barnier gets called out for being work shy and dodging Brexit talks

Whilst No Deal could lead to a London housing price crash. I'd almost assumed that was coming regardless at some point.

Comment

1.6% does not a crash make. 50% does a crash make. Rediculous headline.

Comment

Also, I feel like a housing crash could be a good thing. I'm willing for one where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          1.6% does not a crash make. 50% does a crash make. Rediculous headline.
                          When the houses cost as much as they do in central London and the profit margins are potentially very low, I think small percentages can make a bigger difference than the number would suggest.

Comment

I hope the London housing market falls in on its self spectacularly. It’s affecting the housing prices in every county around it to the point when virtually everything is unaffordable.

I could buy a 3 bed house outright up north for what I have in the bank right now. On Canvey Island that wouldn’t even get me a quarter of a caravan at the moment.

It’s fooking lunacy.

Comment

It's possible I'm missing something really obvious but it feels to me like high house prices don't benefit the right people. If I own a house and it goes up in value, I have made money on paper but if I sell that house to get another house, that other house will also have gone up in value so have I gained anything in reality? And just getting a house in the first place becomes harder and harder in that scenario. Whereas the people who benefit are those gathering multiple properties or large landlords or people with fancy investment portfolios and, well, I feel those people are part of the problem. It just makes rich people richer while making it harder for poorer people to get somewhere to live.

So yeah, let's have lots of property crashes please.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                I hope the London housing market falls in on its self spectacularly. It’s affecting the housing prices in every county around it to the point when virtually everything is unaffordable.

I could buy a 3 bed house outright up north for what I have in the bank right now. On Canvey Island that wouldn’t even get me a quarter of a caravan at the moment.

It’s fooking lunacy.
                                When we bought the house we're in 2 years ago, we looked up north just out of curiosity (I'm from the north and every now and then my wife and I muse on moving back up there). For what we paid for our, admittedly lovely, house in Hertfordshire, we could have bought a massive 8-bedroom bungalow, with a huge garden with a bar (!) in it, backing on to the Royal Liverpool golf course in Hoylake. The difference in what you can buy up north is mental.

Comment

Working...
                                X