Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May hasn't been strong enough by a long shot. It sounds like she was trying to straddle the fence and please people rather than stand for anything.
    I'm supprised Stalking Horse Boris didn't put the knife in during his speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      May hasn't been strong enough by a long shot. It sounds like she was trying to straddle the fence and please people rather than stand for anything.
      Yep and this is exactly the problem no matter what way Brexit goes. It is completely being used as a short term local politics football when its implications will be felt for generations globally. As SF and I have said, though coming at Brexit from different viewpoints, this should have been a cross party thing from the start. It should not have been allowed to become some kind of ridiculous in-party drama. This all reminds me of that mirror universe episode of Star Trek where it's just people jumping for the next opportunity. In 10 years, none of that rubbish will matter. But the outcome of Brexit will.

Comment

It also doesn't seem like they are preparing for an exit. They seem so concerned about 29th March 2019, they are not setting up anything for the 30th. By this stage I'd expect to see deals with other countries ready to be signed and a real effort to drum up business.

Comment

As Dr Phil would say, they are putting all their energies into planning a wedding and none into planning a marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            As Dr Phil would say, they are putting all their energies into planning a wedding and none into planning a marriage.
            Honestly, this sums up modern Britain full stop

There’s no one left with the faintist clue on how to govern long term.

Comment

There's so much Brexit drama I can keep updating the thread subtitle for relevance

Comment

Theresa May has said she will never accept the EU's position on the Irish Border and they have to change their stance regarding the border. I'm assuming that at this point a Hard Border is inevitable but she wants to put them in a position where they are the ones who have to implement it and thereby become the bad guys.

Comment

I highly doubt the EU is going to compromise on the Irish border and given Ireland has to ratify any agreement along with the very poor hand May has to play, it's not going to be the EU bending over.

I don't know why this needs pointing out again, but seemingly it does: We chose to leave, the EU didn't kick us out of the club. We don't get to keep streaming Netflix once we close our account, even in standard definition.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 20-07-2018, 07:25.

Comment

Yep. The Sun has a cover saying our Irish PM could block your planes out of our sky as revenge. Ummm... nope. You're choosing to leave the Open Skies Agreement. The effort some people are making to blame others for the consequences of the very thing you're doing to yourself is baffling. If leaving the Open Skies Agreement is a bad thing, don't leave it. Leaving it and then blaming others is ridiculous.

Comment

The government is trying to frame it as been victimised by the EU to try and shift blame when this is all self inflicted.

The Open Skies Agreement was negotiated by the EU the signatories are those of the EU. When we leave the EU we will no longer be a signatory on the Open Skies Agreement - this isn't rocket science.

Comment

Can we all agree that a massive David Cameron effigy needs to be burned every day to the run up of us leaving?

Comment

This is now well beyond a joke and into the territory of full on government collapse at this rate.

Comment

That's the thing, it's less about Brexit and more to do with the incompetence of the government. Once we moved to a Leave outcome we were either onboard with free movement etc or we weren't. We clearly aren't so No Deal is the obvious outcome for that. You'd then have two years + any potential agreed transition period to negotiate trade deals, set up any required border procedures and communicate plans to businesses and figureheads etc. Instead they haven't moved an inch bashing on about the same dismissed wishlist they had two years ago.

The negotiations should have been closed off a long time ago and now there'll be a mad panic to scramble back to where they should have been had they not pratted around in the first place.

Comment

Chill out everyone, it'll all be fine *goes back to lying on a lilo in a pool looking over the lakes of northern Italy*

Comment

As expected Barnier has reviewed and rejected May's White Paper thereby refusing further negotiations with the UK. May now has very limited time after the summer recess to make one final push.

Comment

Working...
                                X