Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey let’s let Stewart Lee describe Brexit voters.

Comment

On one hand I did chuckle, on the other it also displays the depth of understanding on the leave outcome many remainers have

Comment

Yeah, he missed out genuine issues like the straight bananas.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          on the other it also displays the depth of understanding on the leave outcome many remainers have
          Yes, because everything that has ever been uttered by Brexiteers and Leave voters has been spot-on and totally correct in comparison!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            It's really hard to care about Leave groups breaking spending limits too when Remain groups did the same but were already fined for breaking spending rules last year so it's not as topical to mention now the clock is running out.
            Not sure where you got that from but it's not the case, the Remain campaign were fined a paltry amount for "failing to deliver an accurate spending return" - they certainly did not break the spending limits: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45043066

Comment

That's interesting, the last thing I'd read seemed to lean to them going down the same road so interesting the claims got bounced. Fair play, but even then it still seems a small complaint when the case against Leave is for going something like $700,000 over the $7m limit yet Remain had the support of the same limit... and a $9m Remain government leaflet campaign. I don't really see either as big swayers in the result hence why I struggle a little to see that the net impact from it on the result for Leave would severely impact the outcome versus the more than double money Remain effectively got when it comes to spending.

Catching up on last weeks Brexit events though, either way it seems like blind mayhem is till leading the charge rather than any semblance of last minute common sense.

Comment

I'll have you know, I can still see perfectly well

Brexit on the other hand... yeah... "no deal" invalidates the Good Friday agreement re hard border. So either way, something's got to give...
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Seems inevitable at this point, every update seems to be based on them going into the final talks with the Chequers Deal despite the EU having already repeatedly said they reject it. Clearly we're at the end now

Comment

And support continues to wither away: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...itch-to-remain

Last edited by MartyG; 13-08-2018, 07:07.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      And support continues to wither away: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...itch-to-remain
                      It frustrates me even as a Remainer that the Guardian is still being part of the problem, as is a fair bit of the media.

We're leaving. That's it. End of. We might get a chance in another 30 years to go back in, but we can worry about that in 2045. I'm pissed off about it, many people are pissed off about it, but none of that matters.

Now we need to GET WITH THE ****ING PROGRAMME and make the best of it. Our politicians need to stop bickering about it and do what they can to salvage the situation. Businesses need to get stuck in and try to exploit anything they can to preserve jobs and the economy. It's going to be hard, perhaps afterwards things will be worse than before, but worry about that in 2025. Stop polling to ask whether people regret their decision; it's of zero use to anyone because we're not having another referendum.

This is like the Scots Ref but 100x worse in terms of the amount of crap that has gone on afterwards.

Comment

If there is enough groundswell of support shifting to remain, the country will remain.

There isn't a way of making Brexit work because it's stupid. It will always be stupid. That's the main reason there is no progress - if there was something that worked it would have been discovered and shouted from the mountains already. More and more people are starting to realise that's the case.

The best option always has been and will continue to be, to remain in the EU.

Comment

The thing is, a pro remain poll from a study carried out by pro-remain groups that comes out with a pro remain outcome is never going to get much traction. I'm not saying it's wrong that views may have changed but it's the dodgiest of polls from the dodgiest of sources reported by a very biased site so it'll hold no sway in a remain outcome at all. Also, for any still unlikely chance of the referendum being overturned you'd be looking at probably needed a public outcry situation being needed as a narrow swing is no different than what many poll said before the last vote even took place. Brexit at this point is like death and taxes, inevitable.

Honestly, the biggest indicator I feel in all this is Labour. They're still technically pro-Leave in position and they've never been particularly pushed that hard on the fact either. Even many Pro-Remainer voters happily back them without pushing Corbyn hard on the fact. Looking back, Labour has possibly been just as bad as the Tories since 2016. Given the mess May has been hobbling through Labour really should be at full steam and primed by now with public support but they've been limp ****** about every aspect of it all. I fully expect them to lose the next general election to the Conservatives again because they've failed to capitalise on all this opportunity.

Comment

I would be in favour of military intervention at this point to put parliament on full lock until they have fully sorted this situation out and, have a full plan, plus activated and seen it though to completion.

An entire country is been put at risk here and these clowns think they have 50 years to debate and mess about, when it should of all been sorted the min the vote went exit.

Comment

Parliament is currently on holiday. Back on the 4th September, then they're off for another month on the 14th September for the party conference booze up season.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 13-08-2018, 09:34.

Comment

Unless there's a last minute fudge agreement from the EU it seems pretty much locked for a No Deal outcome now so they're probably all thinking might as well get the fun times done on expenses now before the exit happens and they all get booted out of office

Comment

Working...
                                X