Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we remain in the customs union then VAT will align with EU rules.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      If we remain in the customs union then VAT will align with EU rules.
      So you mean it will stay as it is? Frim example if I buy something from Germany I will pay VAT in Germany but not UK VAT?

Comment

Yes, it'd stay as it is. VAT outside of the customs union would be paid at UK rates, no import duty for goods within the customs union.

It means that you wouldn't be able to negotiate trade deals with other countries as external tariffs apply to countires outside of the customs union (so no FTAs with the US) and you'd still need a border in Ireland because it would be in the single market and the UK would not (as there wouldn't be common market regulatory alignment).
        Last edited by MartyG; 02-04-2019, 05:55.

Comment

Thanks - that's much clearer than I have seen it explained anywhere else.

Comment

Okay, I'm a remainer, but **** having a "Norway deal"! What has been the point in this whole affair if we end up with that?!

Comment

I guess because you had a referendum and some seem fixated on the "will of the people" and this would at least be a way to leave the EU without completely crashing out and making things worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Okay, I'm a remainer, but **** having a "Norway deal"! What has been the point in this whole affair if we end up with that?!
                There's never been any point in this, it's always been utterly stupid.

Comment

It's because the politicians are giving the people what they want.

Comment

I nearly typed all of that without laughing ruefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X