Oh no, of course not.
    "So we're not leaving the customs union?"
    Yes we are.
    "So there'll be a hard border for NI then."
    Oh no no you see...
    https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...eah-but-no.jpg

Shut Ep!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Honest to god, I can see how this could lead to a road where Labour loses the momentum it gained. In the short term they can now more vocally sabotage the Tories efforts but in the longer term this grab to continue appeasing young voters will likely lose them a chunk of arguably more important older voters who require less galvanising each time. It was being discussed by a Labour member on the radio a moment ago and Labours stance seems to hang mostly on an already dismissed hypothetical situation where the UK has a customised single market agreement with the EU, the very scenario the EU absolutely ruled out quite some time ago.

In essence they've promised the impossible knowing they will never be asked to deliver it and will instead spend the next twelve months sabotaging Brexit efforts due to being too focused on undermining the Tories rather than the state of the country on exit. It shows Corbyn will bend the knee just as well as any other politician too. To be honest, I voted Labour last time and this does make me feel like we're being asked to choose between eating to s**** again. Point winning shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    In essence they've promised the impossible knowing they will never be asked to deliver it
    So pretty much how Brexit happened then. Maybe this is how things are done now.

I still think it's time politicians were removed from the Brexit process and replaced by experts. Maybe they have been, but it doesn't seem that way.

My favourite bit on Guardian is where they say Corbyn was effectively asked what he would do if he asked for the Customs Union he wanted and the EU said no. His answer boiled mostly down to 'I'd keep asking'

Utterly clueless.

The basic trajectory of all this is that at some point in the next 12 months the Tories are going to turn up to the final vote with the deal they have and Labour will be in a driving seat. Yet, what they keep on misleading the public about is the nature of that vote. Either Labour votes in favour of whatever the Tories agree or they vote it down and the UK comes crashing out of the EU with absolutely no deal of any sort in place next March. There's no steering this away from the waterfall's edge and they need to stop falsely acting like they have a saviours touch to it all for remainers and the portion of young voters they engaged on that basis. They need to start positioning themselves as the party that has a clear and proactive (and financially sensible) plan for after Brexit otherwise they'll keep on handing the Tories the keys to number 10.

I think anyone positioning themselves as having a clear and proactive (and financially sensible) plan for after Brexit is probably a liar and shouldn't be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesr View Post
    I still think it's time politicians were removed from the Brexit process and replaced by experts. Maybe they have been, but it doesn't seem that way.
    if they had been removed from informing the public on the vote then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

I still don't understand how with so much blatant lies and misinformation that we still don't see the Brexit vote for the circus that it was. After seeing how the vote has affected our jobs, our community's, and our day to day living costs, we are in a far stronger more informed position to vote on whether we want to leave or stay in Europe.

Going far beyond Brexit and beyond UK politics (thinking of my own home country here), I have no idea why we don't have any sort of accountability for lies told in politics. Opinion is one thing but blatant misrepresentation of facts and outright lies are common and we seem to just shrug them off. Really feels like there should be some measures in place to cause politicians to choose their words more carefully and reign in their claims.

My favourite bit was David Davis, the epitome of Snake Oil Salesman, accusing Corbyn of selling snake oil.