Advice for buying a Gameboy SP AGS 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for buying a Gameboy SP AGS 101

I have been looking on eBay for a Gameboy SP as I recently found a bunch of boxed games at home during a clear out and feel a bit nostalgic. My first impulse was to buy a DS but have settled on a SP as I can also then play the previous gen of Gameboy games as well if I am so inclined.

Having looked for a few weeks I can see a lot of fully refubed units which I guess is a good thing, but looking a bit closer on some of them I notice mention of 3rd party replica bodys. Has anyone any experience with something like this? As to how they feel compared to a original SP or how the buttons and the DPad feel?
    Last edited by wargame; 23-01-2018, 16:00.

I bought a refurbed one recently and I'm pretty pleased with it. The D Pad isn't quite as good as the original but It's so close the difference is negligible and I reckon a lot of people wouldn't notice. It's certainly not bad, just a little bit stiffer than the original.

The other option is to buy an original and get a backlight fitted to it. I decided to go with a refurbished unit as I wanted the NES version and the originals cost a fortune.
    Last edited by BigDeadFreak; 26-01-2018, 21:08.

Comment

Check the last post of this thread [MENTION=4129]wargame[/MENTION]

Comment

Fit a backlit screen to an original model Advance so you don’t end up with nasty hand cramp. I have no first-hand experience of the Chinese knock off shells, but plenty of people seem quite happy with them.

Comment

Or just buy a GB Micro as its the ultimate definition of a portable and everything looks pin sharp on that postage stamped sized screen.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
            Or just buy a GB Micro as its the ultimate definition of a portable and everything looks pin sharp on that postage stamped sized screen.
            Let's have this one out again

In seriousness though the Micro is fantastic. I'd say it's the ultimate GBA except for if you play a lot of RPGs/SRPGs and such; then the small screen can be a bit fiddly.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Let's have this one out again

In seriousness though the Micro is fantastic. I'd say it's the ultimate GBA except for if you play a lot of RPGs/SRPGs and such; then the small screen can be a bit fiddly.
              Back for the first time! I can see how it all depends on taste and how sharp your eyes are along with your hand size but out of all of the range the Micro was and is the true definition of a portable as its so tiny. Throw in a flash cart and you're set.

To me everything looks the best it ever has on that screen due to the dot pitch as its all so vibrant even though the v2 SP looks really ace too but if I'm going to keep it chunky I'd have stuck with the DSL instead.

Comment

Thanks folks some great comments here. I think the micro is out as the screen just seems too small.

I did consider the original GBA with a modified backlight but not so sure about that, it uses actual batteries right rather then something you recharge?

Think I would like an original GBA SP with the AGS 101, what is the going rate for one of these or rather what's the price range that is reasonable that I should be looking at?

Comment

I have all three - I’ll recommend the DS Lite. Better battery life if that matters to you, more ergonomic, no ghosting (which the 101 can suffer from, more noticable in B/W Game Boy games which ironically is what I use my 101 for). D-pad is decent but not as good as the Micro’s. Cheapest of the bunch.

The Micro is a cool novelty - it looks amazing up close but is too small to be a main gaming device for me.

Not sure about 101 prices apart from the fact that modded 001’s are cheaper. £100 maybe? £150?

Comment

I too would go for the DS Lite for Gameboy Advance games.

I bought one of those Ebay SPs, and to be honest it is very good overall, the screen is superb, but the DS Lite just gives you more options. The size of the SP is really nice though, I love clamshell designs.

The Micro is great, but for some games the screen really is too small unfortunately.
                    Last edited by SUMIRE; 25-01-2018, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                      Not sure about 101 prices apart from the fact that modded 001’s are cheaper. £100 maybe? £150?
                      If this is how much they go for then for sure I’d go with DS Lite for GBA/DS games and either a modded DMG or GB Lite for playing originals. You’ll save yourself a fair wedge, have great picture quality and have better ergonomics over a 101.

Comment

How well does a DS playback GBA games? Do they fit the display or are they blurry?

Is the second screen disabled when playing a GBA have? This was my first choice and probably still the best option as there are plenty available on eBay and seem decently priced.

Comment

Gba on ds ain't too bad iirc you can stretch to fill the screen or have it display in its original ratio. Also you could be uber cool and just do this:

And whip up a Gameboy Macro.

Comment

Seems the best place to say this - I think Nintendo are really missing a trick here. Don't do an "N64 Mini", do a new Game Boy Micro.

I think a lot of people out there have never even seen the Micro as it came out at a weird time in the GBA's life, but they are just wonderful objects.

Comment

I'd been saying that as a gb mini followed by gbc then gba would tie up three holidays and by that time tech would've advanced enough and dropped in price to make the mini n64 more powerful and hopefully offer a higher rendering resolution so things didn't look quite so bad so kind of idealised emulation vs authentic or more like how you remember as opposed to the janky, jagged flick book it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X