Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthem

Anthem, BioWare's ambitious multiplayer role-playing game, will now launch the other side of this Christmas. That's acc…

A new report suggests that Anthems project release has been knocked back to Spring 2019.

I assume this is to spend longer on surreptitious microtransactions and loot boxes.

Comment

This has failure written all over it for me. Can't really say why, it doesn't pass the sniff test.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
        This has failure written all over it for me. Can't really say why, it doesn't pass the sniff test.
        It wouldn’t be the “in game engine” “gameplay” trailer, that a monster PC couldn’t in reality handle, would it?

Or the fact that Boiware have pulled every team and available employee into the project as it was running years behind schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          It wouldn’t be the “in game engine” “gameplay” trailer, that a monster PC couldn’t in reality handle, would it?

Or the fact that Boiware have pulled every team and available employee into the project as it was running years behind schedule?
          Might be just that! Almost certain that this will lead to a studio closure.

Comment

EA have committed to a March 2019 release for Anthem.

Their CEO has also said they aren't focusing on how many units the game sells as the companies business model will now prioritise their games success by the lifetime revenue they earn via season passes, microtransactions and loot box sales.

Really, is there any need to discuss further nails in Anthems coffin?

Comment

R.I.P. Anthem
              March 2019 - March 2019

I'm mildly curious about this. Jetpacking around an alien planet in an Iron Man suit looks fun, but I keep getting ding-a-lings of warning every time there's some news about it.

Last time it was about the lead story writer quitting.

I think EA want to wring as much money out of the consumers but after SWBF2, Destiny 2 and BioWare's own Mass Effect Andromeda, I think those consumers are getting more savvy.

Comment

That's exactly it, I adored BF4 but I couldn't care less about BF5 at this point and I've never bought a loot box. It's just crippling the experience that much and that's setting aside the already declining quality of DICE and Bioware's games.

Comment

The thing is, Monster Hunter: World has shown you can have a massively popular game without needing loads of in-game purchases.

The whole industry needs to rethink how it does stuff.

The whole "Minimal Viable Product" route isn't going to work in the long-run.

Comment

It's the worst kind of sloppy decision making companies can make. There's always been games with long life cycles to them like Counter-Strike or Modern Warfare but they've always been outliers in the market, the userbase doesn't exist to support tons of games for multiple years at once. I don't begrudge a company making a game that tries to crack that nut, like Ubisoft did with Rainbow Six: Seige, but it's so blatantly stupid to gear your entire model and slate of products to it, again like Ubisoft.

They're pretty much doing anything they can to avoid bringing back AA tier games.

Comment

Dear God, The game isn't even out yet and people are already writing it off. I think the game will do brilliant and sell in huge numbers, it looks amazing and a great co-op game. I can't wait

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        the userbase doesn't exist to support tons of games for multiple years at once.
                        The point is it's a zero-sum game. They don't want to support loads of games at once; in fact they would rather step on everything else. They want to ideally support 1, for it to be #1, and it will make enough money to cover everything else.

Comment

I'm surprised it's such a hard push for them on such a scale, any success stories have typically been very tied to genre or particular circumstances. It's not a formula you can recreate by planning it seems and the blowback if you get it wrong doesn't make it seem worth it.

Anthem is a particularly red light project on that basis because it's not only a new ip to begin with, it's one where it comes from a developer who's output has been in decline for approaching a decade and a publisher who literally just saw a key title collapse in their hands because of the approach. The game did look good on reveal, gameplay still looks decent despite the visual wow having been lost to competition in the wait time, but there's without a doubt a solid 'Destiny 2' risk element here and it's understandable how people could and perhaps should be wary of the final product. Hopefully they nail it, if they don't well... not sure Bioware have too many lives left now.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Dear God, The game isn't even out yet and people are already writing it off. I think the game will do brilliant and sell in huge numbers, it looks amazing and a great co-op game. I can't wait
                            I always enjoy your enthusiasm, TA, but I think being cautious about how this is handled is a sensible approach.

They obviously want their own Destiny series, but that seems to have stalled at the second game after providing a game with less content than its predecessor.

EA are absolute sods for folding studios or "absorbing" them into other studios.
                            They take popular franchises and run them through the EA-a-lyser©, which basically means they strip it down and turn it into an MMO with as much DLC and season pass content as possible.
                            Look at BioWare's Mass Effect Andromeda. It was a critical and commercial failure. The multiplayer was full of lootboxes and the planned single-player DLC was canned because there was nobody left to make it. The staff had either moved on to working on Anthem and the studio was absorbed into EA Motive.

What have EA Motive made? Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and we all know how well that was received.

Think of the other studios they've killed? Visceral (Dead Space), Maxis (The Sims), Mythic (The Dark Age of Camelot), Bullfrog (Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate), Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander), Westwood Studios (Command and Conquer), Dreamworks Interactive (Medal of Honour), Phenomic (BattleForge), Black Box (Need for Speed, Skate), Pandemic (Star Was: Battlefront, The Saboteur), Playfish (The Sims Social) and NuFX (NBA Street).

They plan on having a ten year partnership with at least four games. That doesn't scream "buy me" it signals that you're planning on stretching this thing as thin as possible.

Paste Magazine is your source for the best music, movies, TV, comedy, videogames, books, comics, craft beer, politics and more. Discover your favorite albums and films.

The era of Mass Effect may not have completely come to an end, but that’s certainly how it feels with BioWare confirming a long-running rumor this weekend. Mass Effect: Andromeda is not getting single-player story DLC.

Discover topics like Gaming, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like ThePizzaGuyOfJustice.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I always enjoy your enthusiasm, TA, but I think being cautious about how this is handled is a sensible approach.
                              I think the game looks great, looks set to be an amazing co-op experience. You can of coruse point out Star Wars BF II, but I think (or hope) EA learnt a lession on that and got burned, but overlooking that it wasn't a bad game at all, either.

I also quite liked Mass Effect Andromeda, but it was clear there were issues and it now clear that most of the main Bioware team were working on Anthem. Staff leave, studios get moved around, I don't think its anything new, or exclusive to EA . One could make a huge list of the Studios the likes of SONY or MS have killed or where staff have been merged into other teams inside the corp.. Other than Ubisoft or Nintendo most big corps have bad rep from studio closers.

Anthem looks boodly brilliant and if the gameplay can match the visuals, it should be a treat and to be Season pass and DLC is now what all corps do, not just EA

Comment

Working...
                              X