No announcement yet.

BPX024: Time to Say Goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would make you buy the XBox Two (made up name)?

Like the 360's promise of handling more enemies (Dead Rising) swayed me, but the One's anti-consumer, anti-gamer stance turned me away.

What are people looking for in a console that would make buying Microsoft's console over competition, next time a hardware refresh comes around?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      What are people looking for in a console that would make buying Microsoft's console over competition, next time a hardware refresh comes around?
      Games, 12 of them, exclusive (the real meaning of the term, not bought-in or timed or on PC) and none of them can be Halo or Forza, unless they're a dramatically different interpretation of those franchises. As a PC owner I'm particularly hard-to-please, I think.

Either that or the console would have to do something not possible with my existing machines. The Switch is an example of this, hence why I bought one.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Games, 12 of them, exclusive
        Cut to: E3 2019, a Microsoft spokesperson struts the stage.
        MS Guy: "We're proud to announce the Xbox Two will launch with eleven unique titles!"
        Asura: "Pffft"
        Buys PS5.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Cut to: E3 2019, a Microsoft spokesperson struts the stage.
          MS Guy: "We're proud to announce the Xbox Two will launch with eleven unique titles!"
          Asura: "Pffft"
          Buys PS5.
          DAMN STRAIGHT

Comment

So why does Nintendo always get such a free pass, when they can barley make any more In House exclusives than MS and it's nothing more than more Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda. Really what's coming from Nintendo In House teams over the next year?.

Not that MS In House line up is any different from the 360 days, what MS needs to do is get some more Japanese support, that the only major change from the 360 days even in the 360 days it's was little more than Forza, Halo and Gears and MS have always lacked for In House IPs imo. Sony has been the best for In House teams since Sega Japan gave up with the DC
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 13-02-2018, 14:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              So why does Nintendo always get such a free pass,
              Because I like them more.

Comment

I don’t think I can bring myself to buy anything from MS or Nintendo again. From the Xbox viewpoint due to the fact they have way less exclusives that are of any interest to me, and I can’t stand the menu system. Nintendo, just no games. I bought a switch, but have given it to my niece, after Mario Kart I was done really. Not that I’m exactly convinced I’ll buy in to PS5 though to be fair.

Comment

12 exclusives lol. Bloody hell. Quite specific.

For me, a few decent console exclusives that appeal to me. If they're on PC, which I'm certain they will be, that doesn't bother me. I don't own a PC and don't plan to buy one.

The trouble with MS is their exclusives rarely appeal to my tastes. I'd love to play Horizon but that's about it. I'm semi interested in Gears 4, but not enough to buy a machine. The rest of it isn't for me really.

I bought a Switch just for Mario and the distant promise of Metroid Prime and hopefully MK9, so I don't need a million exclusives. Just a few that I really want.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    12 exclusives lol. Bloody hell. Quite specific.
                    People are fixating on the number the point was that it's a number of exclusives, and not just a handful. This was how things were when I bought the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The day I went to get my PS3, I made a top-level list of the titles I wanted, to be sure I was still going to buy the machine. Fortunately I still have that list (some of the titles below were not yet available, but were known):

Valkyria Chroncles
                    Warhawk
                    Heavenly Sword
                    LAIR (post-removal of motion controls patch)
                    Wipeout HD
                    MAG
                    White Knight Chronicles
                    MGS4
                    Gundam Crossfire (even though I knew it was terrible - Gundam fan)
                    Armored Core 4 (admittedly this later came out on 360, but I first played it at TGS 2006 on PS3)
                    Folklore
                    Eye of Judgement
                    LittleBigPlanet
                    Demons' Souls

I never bought Eye of Judgement in the finish, but I did over time get all of the rest.

The point I'm making is that I normally need somewhere around this kind of list in order to justify the expense for a console. The exception is if there is a single, amazing game which gets me to "pull the trigger"; in the PS3's case that was the announcement of MAG, which remains one of my favourite games of all time.

For me, the Xbox One still hasn't managed that, and neither has the PS4. The Switch hasn't managed it either, but I still went for that because I loved the form factor of the machine so much that I really want it to succeed and more titles to emerge for it, so that's an exception. However, I think the PS4 and Xbox One have managed that for many people; I just don't get on with a lot of modern games as I'm not a fan of solo open-world experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Because I like them more.
                      That's fair, but I don't get why NCL can get away with a total reliance of sequels to just a few IP and also lacking for In-House exclusives (in terms of numbers) There are just as bad as MS in those regards and SONY since the PS2 days have been way on in front and its only got bigger this last few gens, so I don't get why MS gets called out on it and NCL don't.

Also, I've never been one who's bought an MS console on the strength of their In-House teams or IP, it was always because they made the most kick ass consoles in terms of grunt, they let them selfs down a little with the One, but are back to being the supplies of the best console GPU going. I only wish they brought back their strong working relationship with Ubisoft and Fromsoftware from the OG XBox and 360 days.

I love to see a Remaster of O.TO.GI series and more so Chromhounds (the best Live game ever) on the One X and MS really should work with Ubi and make Rainbow Six game that really took advantage of the One X and bring back some of the magic of Vegas on the 360.

Comment

I think with Nintendo they exist on a slightly different tangent. I don't think they get away with it as such, a lot of time and energy has been spent dissecting Nintendo's weak software support of its systems where there's been a lack of new ip and a very slow pipeline but the last twelve months have been kind to the company so it's quietened that talk due to the strengths of their long running ip games, the monthly release approach and the recent introduction of new series like Splatoon and ARMS. Though their slate is barren looking forward they're winging it that people are assuming in a couple of months they'll reveal another 12 month slate of titles.

With Microsoft, it's a growing concern that they want Xbox to be a market leader but are only half interested in making that a reality. They put a lot of effort into addressing hardware short comings, turning around the poor launch reveal and investing in Live etc but the software side of things isn't just slow, it's declining at a time when it's critical to differentiating the format against its real rival, a system that is crushing them. Crackdown 3 remains the biggest title officially on the horizon for Xbox One as an exclusive, it's also perilously close to being the only major exclusive formally announced for the format too and that comes 4 whole years since it was announced at E3. There's an assumption that Gears 5, Halo 6, Forza 8 etc will hit when they usually do but it's still mostly a series of quite long in the tooth series with some concerns about whether popularity is beginning to falter a little on some of them.

I think Scalebound summed it up a little for some. Personally, had the game released I feel it would have bombed and MS was probably right to pull its plug but I think it tapped into peoples frustrations that MS had cancelled a new exclusive and replaced it with... nothing.

MS is three generations in now and software, in this regard, really shouldn't even be a concern. I appreciate how the XBX has fixed the shortcomings of the XBO which is good as it shows MS is in some ways reactive but at this point it's more software this gen that makes or breaks a systems appeal and MS is increasingly riding out Forza games. I think Sony was smart in never being that afraid to have a new ip flop, they've had some interesting failures in their time and aren't afraid to milk a series but they've also never been short of something new to step in either which allows them to have regular tentpoles throughout the year and MS needs that as if they launch another very similar hardware machine next gen as Sony does it'll potentially be the games that seperates the machines and I don't fancy MS's chances of success on that basis

Comment

So why does Nintendo always get such a free pass, when they can barley make any more In House exclusives than MS and it's nothing more than more Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda.
                          ...and Arms, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby... Are we forgetting they also have an extremely healthy handheld division as well, which seemingly goes on with very minor competition? Even if it was just Mario and Zelda, those two were the main GOTY contenders for last year, and with very good reason despite other greats like Nioh, Nier, Persona, Horizon: ZD, etc (All PlayStation titles, I might add). Maybe not in your opinion, but the industry and community as a whole.

What did MS have? Halo Wars 2? The indie title Cuphead? LOL!!!!1 They were nothing more than an embarrassment to themselves last year, and the almighty OneX isn't going to help that without some quality exclusive content that can help them differentiate themselves from the competition.

Really what's coming from Nintendo In House teams over the next year?
                          A lot more than what MS have given us over the past three, that much I can be sure of. We'll be playing games by Christmas we didn't even know about today.

That's fair, but I don't get why NCL can get away with a total reliance of sequels to just a few IP and also lacking for In-House exclusives (in terms of numbers) There are just as bad as MS in those regards and SONY since the PS2 days have been way on in front and its only got bigger this last few gens, so I don't get why MS gets called out on it and NCL don't.
                          If you can't understand why the Switch is the fastest selling console ever, then you're truly lost. Nintendo are well-known for their reliance on first-party exclusives, it's the only thing that keeps them in business. Not grunt, third-party support, or big fancy marketing campaigns.

I really wish I had reasons to buy a OneX over a new GPU for my PC, I really do, but right now I fail to see even one.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            I think with Nintendo they exist on a slightly different tangent. I don't think they get away with it as such, a lot of time and energy has been spent dissecting Nintendo's weak software support of its systems where there's been a lack of new ip and a very slow pipeline but the last twelve months have been kind to the company so it's quietened that talk due to the strengths of their long running ip games, the monthly release approach and the recent introduction of new series like Splatoon and ARMS. Though their slate is barren looking forward they're winging it that people are assuming in a couple of months they'll reveal another 12 month
                            Its complete double standards and Nintendo get away with it all the time . MS its self, does try the odd new IP too (Sea of Thiefs is new IP for example) and also makes about as many In-house games as Nintendo and like with Nintendo when the main focus of its In-House teams is sequels to Mario and Zelda (its the same for MS with sequels to Forza and Halo)

So I fail to see any major difference on that score.

And as for the crap over Scalebound, it's not like Nintendo haven't messed around developers or canceled games of their own, but again they get away with it. How many N64 and N64 DD titles were dropped by Nintendo both In-House and 2nd party games. Nintendo screwed around DMA design and in the end, didn't bother with Body Harvest, Nintendo screwed around Argonaut software and also didn't bother to release Star Fox II, its cans Jungle Leo N64, Project Giant Robot, Mother 3 N64, Pikmin 4 Wii U (despite it meant to be almost finished) Cosmic Walker, Project H.A.M.M.E.R and a host of other games

But again Nintendo get away with it.

I myself have no issue with Nintendo dropping games, myself. Just making the point Nintendo is no better, its to their credit that they have not shut down and closed as many In-House studios as either SONY or MS mind.

MS have 3 main issues, what I can see (I don't think lack In-House games an issue because they've never been strong in that area at all imo). MS needs to get back with working with the likes of FromSoftware (who did so well for them on the both the OG XBox and 360) Mistwalket and try to get some more Japan support. MS needs to get RARE make making real sequels to Kameo, Perfect Dark and use RARE as just a games studio again. MS needs to show some faith in the new IP in works with on various IP outsourced. Games like Recore, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive have so much potential and where sequels could address issues people had with the original games; It a pattern of various IP that MS has dropped at the 1st time of asking, MS needs to stop and show some faith In IP. Sometimes it takes a while to establish and grow them

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              ...and Arms, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby... .
                              One would have hoped a Nintendo fan, would have known Nintendo In-House teams, to those that aren't but its seems not. The likes of Intelligent Systems, Hal, Good-Feel aren't In-House teams.

Maybe not in your opinion, but the industry and community as a whole.
                              I love Neir, but never mind. I also love the likes of Drakes IV too.

A lot more than what MS have given us over the past three,
                              So, thats not many then.

If you can't understand why the Switch is the fastest selling console ever,
                              Despends on the region, because its far from the fastest selling console ever on many scores . And I do laugh when a Nintendo fan bring ups sales, more so one like you who talked up the Wii U. Wasn't it about games then?.

Not grunt, third-party support, or big fancy marketing campaigns.
                              Where were you on the NES and SNES days ?

Comment

You just love pointing your fan-boy stick, don't you?

I think you need to get over the fact that Nintendo continue to produce record, multi-million selling hardware and software to both critical and commercial acclaim, whilst Sega do not. Too bad they were never given any free passes, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X