Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this it? Is this what its all about?

Was watching Scarface and this scene, specifically this quote:

"Is this it? That's what it's all about, Manny? Eating, drinking, ****ing, sucking? Snorting? Then what? You're 50. You got a bag for a belly. You got t*ts, you need a bra. They got hair on them. You got a liver, they got spots on it, and you're eating this ****in' ****, looking like these rich ****ing mummies in here..."

Got me all existential up in this piece. Is this really it? All around us, dressed up in various guises and levels of social acceptability, is distraction and escapism from the reality of our situation. Now this "reality" changes from person to person as it all depends on how deep you're wiling to go and whether you skim the surface and accept what it is or if you peer behind the curtain to see what the real deal is but thats a whole nother tangent.

What I'm saying is best encapsulated in this clip:

"You're trapped, Like a nightmare you keep waking up into".

And washed down with this:

What say ye, my happy little bunnies?

And before you ask, no I'm not depressed, just nicely pished.
    Last edited by Colin; 08-02-2018, 16:42. Reason: Let the swear filter do the work.

Right, I'm off to climb the Empire State Building 1657 times.

The thing is, I know what it's all about:

The Hokey Cokey.

Comment

I say it's balls.

For instance, I've already spent 25,915 days having sex and I'm only 40. Work that out, so-called scientists!

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
        I say it's balls.

For instance, I've already spent 25,915 days having sex and I'm only 40. Work that out, so-called scientists!
        Yeah but does beating the bratwurst count, like?

Comment

I work to live not live to work.

And yet, it feels like I spend so much time at work that my life is passing me by.

When I started my current job I was promised an amazing work / life balance but it's been downhill since early last year.

Comment

That is part of the point I'm making, we are given the gift in life and straight away are institutionalised in "school" before evolving into our prime and being enslaved to varying degrees by work which keeps most running in the wheel until they are knackered and at which point you get there "hurrah, here's your pension to spend on biscuits and old man pants. Remember to watch as much day time tv as possible. Kthxbye" and every mug walks around thinking that's normal.

Comment

It sounds like you need to move to Zen Monkey's commune!

Comment

My life is pretty great. Granted, I’m constantly exhausted (is that just what it’s like after a certain age?) and I wish I had more money and more time and, like everyone, I have a load to complain about but the biggest negative is probably that I spend so much time not realising how great my life is. I’m fortunate in many ways.

Oh and beating the bratwurst has to count or I have a lot of catching up to do.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                  Yeah but does beating the bratwurst count, like?
                  Oh god, yes!

Comment

To strip things down to their very essence, we're here to have kids then raise them and pop off so life is fairly easy objective to meet.

In terms of society etc, complaining about the state of things is the norm but practically speaking no generation in the history of mankind has had it better so really things are looking pretty good...

Oh no... I've heard that before...

Comment

Lidl do a version of the McCoys meaty six-packs, 75p they are. And sublime, I just ate the pack, the potato on the steak crisp tastes soooooo nice and sweet, I think I like them better than the original...by quite a lot, they also don't feel like they can break teeth easy.

75p. These are 75p. Therein lies the meaning of life.

I mean, you could be James Corden, ffs

Comment

I also like how they bang a Union Jack into the middle of the central logo on the outer bag (but not on the individual mini-packs).

It's because it's British, innit? Like Ben Kingsley, God rest his soul.

I also like how they label their American
                        -themed products as 'Mcennedy', it's really quite absurdly old skool but them Mcennedy products be smokin' hot n' tasty like American states, Y'knaaaarwooooarmean??

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          75p. These are 75p. Therein lies the meaning of life.
                          Somebody gave me a Danish pastry at work this week, which was a result, but it gave me a flashback to when I went to Florida with my wife and we sat in "Cinnabon" having a pastry breakfast whilst waiting for Universal Studios to open. It was early in the morning, so warm but fresh and we'd plan on all the rides we wanted to go on.

That was lovely in itself, but I also love it when you actually realise at the time you're having a memory to treasure.
                          I remember taking a moment in our wedding breakfast to look at all our friends and family together having a nice time.

Back to the OP, I always worry about you, RS, because it feels like you're chasing something by getting so many games and consoles.
                          If you could convince yourself you'll never play everything and just enjoy what you're currently on without fear of the "to play" pile avalanching onto you, I think you'll be more content.

There are dozens of books, films, TV shows, games, boardgames, restaurants, places and so on I want to sort out, but you can't do everything (especially with kids!), so I'm trying to spend one night doing different things.

Obviously, that plan went out of the window when I got Monster Hunter: World!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            Like Ben Kingsley, God rest his soul.
                            I think he's still alive Jazz

Comment

@JazzFunk is living proof that the drugs do work and they most certainly don't make you worse Pesky propaganda.
                              @QualityChimp yes, being content is a big part of it I suppose but then the more you think about this whole life deal the darker ones thoughts get like I said in the OP its all about surface and depth and I do like to dive down very very deep in my ponderings. After all how many people can say that they had an existential crisis watching Scarface? As for the backlog, I don't actually have that many and am currently investing in the psychological distraction that is MGS3 although that is giving me plenty to think about too.

Thats pretty much what it is as even simple rinky dink things that other folks may no attention to get me rolling with a cascade of thoughts that can have me paused thusly:

As the neurons do their things and tangents are traversed as conclusions leapt to. Thankfully I don't know who James Corden is as there are many things in life that a wise man can choose to remain blissfully ignorant of...

Comment

Working...
                              X