No announcement yet.

Analogue Super Nt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks a nice bit of kit and is selling for a decent price this time around, tempted just by the fact it comes with Super Turrican Director's Cut. Might grab one at some point, but at the minute I think any cash would be better invested in an OSSC at the moment. Meaning to pick one up myself at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      I'll dip as soon as I can use one with my CRT.
      That doesn't even make sense.

I still don't understand Brad's obsession with everything dying too.

Comment

Hah everytime he says that I look over at my laserdiscs and wince.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          That doesn't even make sense.

What don't you understand? Do you think that electronic devices live forever?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            What don't you understand? Do you think that electronic devices live forever?
            I'm not aware of a generation of electronics being wiped out yet, no.

Per case scenarios yes but properly stored I don't see why my hardware won't outlast me.

Comment

Comment

I'm not aware of a generation of electronics being wiped out yet, no.

Per case scenarios yes but properly stored I don't see why my hardware won't outlast me.
                Ah I see. You're only thinking of yourself lol. I'm thinking about the badly stored and anused systems that will due, and when they die don't have an owner with a soldering gun so that the world's stock of super Nintendos dwindles, leaving only pristine devices that owners don't want to sell and battered, yellowed garbage. The technology behind the super net improves the likelihood that we'll be able to play these games close to the way they were intended for many years to come.

Comment

They made a ton of them and electronics like that will last for years to come. My zx80 works fine. Old cartridge consoles are fine, it’s a none issue.

Comment

Most of them are yellowed and look disgusting though and you don't know how they'll fare down the line. Look at amiga 1200s; every one of them is dead or dying unless they have all their capacitors replaced. Not saying Nintendos will do that specific thing but to think they'll live forever in a state you'd be happy to have on display in your home seems unlikely.

Comment

That’s due to flame retardant in the plastic and happens to a lot of similar machines with light coloured plastics. Capacitor failures are usually down to lack of use or incase of the 90s japanese stuff, opting for different caps which later found to have issues with the electrolytes used.

My old Atari and Intelli stuff from the late 70s worked fine. They are way older than the SNES.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        That’s due to flame retardant in the plastic and happens to a lot of similar machines with light coloured plastics. Capacitor failures are usually down to lack of use or incase of the 90s japanese stuff, opting for different caps which later found to have issues with the electrolytes used.

My old Atari and Intelli stuff from the late 70s worked fine. They are way older than the SNES.
                        The reason why a console's plastic yellows doesn't stop it looking horrible; capacitors failing is an actual thing as you yourself have pointed out; all kinds of consoles are dying or will die, even if your 70s stuff is still working(which is great by the way!).

It's good that companies like this are having a stab at preserving consoles that ar still in circulation. As that number dwindles, people may need to rely on memory to determine if their emulation/SoC/FPGA efforts are accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          all kinds of consoles are dying or will die, even if your 70s stuff is still working(which is great by the way!).
                          Except they arn’t, that is my point. Let us not get all misty eyed by some junky chinese rubbish. By the same logic on here, the original carts will also die, so it’s a waste of time owning a new clone and old carts.

Comment

Yellowing isn’t even that much of an issue, this PCE was manky yellow a week ago and I’ve given it one treatment which brought it to this -

One more treatment and I reckon it’ll look like new.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post

A thing of beauty so it is

Comment

There's plenty of stuff to be wary of with old electronics. Lasers, motors, EEPROMs, capacitors and switches all have a finite lifespan. I'm not too bothered about the cart based systems but anything reliant on discs needs to be looked as being on the countdown to extinction. Stuff like the Rhea, GDEMU, The SD addon for the PC Engine and the forthcoming Saturn disc emulator are going to become essentials for retro heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X