Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long while since I posted an update in here:

Well - turns out the Summer Holidays have reached a point where I can appreciate just how stupid the concept is. Far-far too long for kids to be off school and insane it's still a thing. None the less, SFJr1 will be starting first year soon and man is he ready. He enjoys school but being off has set him back in terms of his behaviour. The issue is SFJr2 is very much hitting her stride in her terrible two's so he's copying her a lot as he thinks that if it gets her attention it'll work for him too. Hopefully going back will snap him back where he was on that front but the real win is potty training is largely done for him.

We've broadly set an Easter 2020 deadline on ourselves when it comes to SFJr3. It's one of those 'meant to be' things where we want to feel we gave it a fair go but also don't want to waste our time with the first two constantly pushing our luck whilst we all get older.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      turns out the Summer Holidays have reached a point where I can appreciate just how stupid the concept is. Far-far too long for kids to be off school and insane it's still a thing.
      It's a fair point but those endless summers are part of being a kid ... it should feel like it lasts forever.

Comment

I feel like those endless summers were better for kids when we were kicked out of the house in the morning and didn’t come back until dinner time. A period of freedom, independence and getting up to things we shouldn’t, where every day could be an adventure. I supposed some kids fell to their deaths or were murdered or got stuck in a tree and died of starvation but, for those who survived, it was a time of growth.

But that’s not really the world we live in now. Kids spend much of their time at home, or doing ‘camps’ which don’t really have anything related to camping or on very scheduled playdates. As well as being very tough on any working parents (which is most parents now), it can’t be anywhere near as special to kids as it once was.

Comment

It seems odd that the government and schools stress the importance of education and consistent attendance - then shutdown for a month and a half only to re-open, make a load of changes for the kids with new classes etc then send them on another break a few weeks later. I'd happuily take them dropping the summer hols and then being more flexible on families booking holidays instead.

Comment

Ah, but then the holiday industry would complain because they don't have a set window to gouge parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              It seems odd that the government and schools stress the importance of education and consistent attendance - then shutdown for a month and a half only to re-open, make a load of changes for the kids with new classes etc then send them on another break a few weeks later. I'd happily take them dropping the summer hols and then being more flexible on families booking holidays instead.
              So that every kid in a class of 40 is at a different point in a course? Do you hate teachers?
              I agree that 6 weeks in the summer is too long, and that splitting it up more would be better. We have 8 week-long summers here, although there is also 4-week summer school that kids can go to to get more high school credit in if they need it. We don't have half term breaks though. 8 week summer, 2 week winter, 1 week spring.

Comment

It feels like a symptom of how the education system as a whole needs a revolution. Primary school kids shouldn't have 1 teacher for example, it over strains the teacher and effectively lightening the load would help them too whilst making things like ending the 6 week hols easier. Of course this is basically saying governments need to invest more into hiring teachers and paying them right which like most sectors is the nut of the issue.

Comment

The N.U.T. of the issue. lol

Comment

Any of you loving fathers stopped being precious about your stuff and collections? haha.

Watching my kids play on my Nintendo Switch getting stick sugary finger marks on it. To be honest, I'm happy to see them play on it.

Same for all my other gear. Music gadgets and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                      Any of you loving fathers stopped being precious about your stuff and collections? haha.

Watching my kids play on my Nintendo Switch getting stick sugary finger marks on it. To be honest, I'm happy to see them play on it.

Same for all my other gear. Music gadgets and whatnot.
                      I built a "Lego" Ferrari F40. Took a few night after they were in bed.
                      Really enjoyed building it, but I regret displaying it on a shelf within their reach.
                      It was soon altered and "enhanced" with Nexo Knights...

I don't mind really, as it wasn't expensive and I had my fun.

I'm careful with expensive stuff and I'm trying to teach them to respect their property, which is hard when they don't really understand money.

The number of times I'll find my son's Switch or the iPad left on the floor is terrifying. It's gonna get trod on eventually and I ain't buying a new one!

Comment

SfJr1 got a 2DS for his Birthday and couldn't have less interest in it so I've been fortunate so far. Our living room is partially gated as well meaning all my stuff is away from them and they've shown little interest in getting to it because there's never been any mystery created about what's on the other side. So far my collection is safe...

Comment

My 1 year old keeps touching my new Samsung QLED, thinking if he does Little Baby Bum will appear. From his perspective, a screen that isn't interactive is an anomoly, I guess. He doesn't understand that it's not okay to touch one screen when all of the others are constantly touched by mum and dad.

Comment

Wait until he gets the crayons out and draws all over it.

Comment

Does...does that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                                Does...does that happen?
                                Happened to my poor television, yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X