Xbox One: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
    I haven't regretted going digital for my One X at all. I never buy (Xbox One) games at full price and it's super convenient if you have time to wait for price drops and sales. Definitely wouldn't mind a discless system if I had other means to watch Blu-rays.

Still 100% physical for Nintendo though!
    I much rather the ease of use and convenience of having a number of games on the Hardware via Digital that can be played at a touch of a button, rather than need to get up, look for the game and then put it in the drive. Its not like the game disc is even used once installed the whole game is run off the HD and the disc is only used for proof of ownership.

Can't see the tech being there for a non disc based system or a streaming system that will replace the CPU and GPU all via Cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Network isn't there at the moment to support it and with OpenReach in the UK, it never will be
      You're right, it never will be there because copper cabling is soon going to be a thing of the past.

With 5G (up to 10 GBPS) you're looking at even lower latency than wired connections over great distances. That 100GB patch will take several minutes to come down over a mobile hotspot (on a bad day with a poor connection).

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Can't see the tech being there for a non disc based system or a streaming system that will replace the CPU and GPU all via Cloud.
      Look harder.
      Last edited by dataDave; 20-11-2018, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        You're right, it never will be there because copper cabling is soon going to be a thing of the past.

With 5G (up to 10 GBPS) you're looking at even lower latency than wired connections over great distances. That 100GB patch will take several minutes to come down over a mobile hotspot (on a bad day with a poor connection).

Look harder.
        We are still a long way off from that , 5G is entirely hypothetical at this point.
        The reduction in latency comes is vs 4G, not vs a physiscal cable, which is where the bulk of the data transport occurs.
        Also, you still need the fibre that serves the network towers and the network exchanges to be setup to handle the bandwidth and the volume of users that connect.
        Certainly in the UK where you have BT Openreach playing silly buggers with the fibre network , not upgrading it and even when it is upgraded, refusing to let other providers use existing.

Comment

Look harder.
          June 2019, all copper cabling used for internet is being terminated in Singapore. Fibre or wireless or GTFO.

Comment

Look harder.
            The only company to offer unlimited 3g (even 4g) in uk is Three, and their true unlimited plans are slowly being phased out in the long term to make more money from data. Your living in lala land if you think there will be even a single company offering unlimited plans for 5g by the time it rolls out to most the country.

The uk will be stuck to copper for decades yet.

Comment

These things are typically sold to 50+ countries around the world. Whichever market is the furthest behind, that's the benchmark for when we go all digital.

Comment

Tell that to BT Openreach, who Billion quid. Gov funded superfast Fibre roll out is using FTTC tech. I'm sure the UK is ranked 35th in the World with a Adverage download speed of under 20 Meg's a sec

Maybe you should look harder

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                  June 2019, all copper cabling used for internet is being terminated in Singapore. Fibre or wireless or GTFO.
                  That's Singapore hardly a leading market for the main console sellers. You'll need the USA and most of Europe to join in Singapore speeds, before we go all digital and streaming

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    The only company to offer unlimited 3g (even 4g) in uk is Three, and their true unlimited plans are slowly being phased out in the long term to make more money from data. Your living in lala land if you think there will be even a single company offering unlimited plans for 5g by the time it rolls out to most the country.

To be fair, you can get fibre to the premises on demand - you just have to ring Openreach up and pay for a quote (a few hundred pounds). They'll then come out and do a survey, and depending how far you are from the exchange, you pay up to around £40,000 and bingo. Simply sign up for a fixed three year contract of up to £100 a month (if you want the gigabit speeds) and are you're golden.

These "unlimited" 3G/4G/5G services, tend to come with a load of caveats. Either they're not truly unlimited and cripple your bandwidth after so many GBs, don't allow tethering (so can only be used on a phone), have fair use clauses or require you to sign up to a package deal (as is the case with Virgin Media).

I'd really like to have fibre to the premises though, even at £100 a month. I just need to move my house closer to the exchange.

Comment

Microsofts Xbox One Reveal event was enough to cement physical media's future for this and the next gen at bare minimum. Still can't get over what a disaster that was.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

You can't get unlimited 4G for home?

Comment

In my area, you're lucky to get 3G network coverage lol

Comment

I have unlimited 4G on my phone but that's rare. Only Three offer it.

Comment

Nope, it always has some caveat in the terms of like a 100gig usage at full speed, then its throttled to something ridiculous afterwards.

Comment

Can anybody tell me when the last update date was for the alpha insider program?

Comment

Working...
                                X