No announcement yet.

Xbox One: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the v2 of the normal Xbox One pad I believe. The same as the One S's pad, but in black instead of white.

I'm starting to become very antsy to move to 4K myself. I've got a lovely 1080p Panasonic plasma that I love dearly and have had for 5 years, but you know how it is when you get the upgrade urge. I wouldn't settle for anything other than OLED though, and I'd very likely go for Panasonic again. Aside from the focus on accuracy, I love the utilitarian aesthetic of their higher end sets.

Back on topic, I mentally factor a One X in with the cost of a new TV. It feels almost mandatory, since it combines both actual 4K games (albeit a short list of them) along with 4K BluRay playback. Plus it will soon support HDR10+, and already supports Atmos and DTS X for sound.

I know I could stream 4K Netflix through the TV itself without an Xbox, but I'm not that bothered about Netflix. I'm more interested in games and Blus.

Trouble is, I also need a new amp and subwoofer that supports the above 2 sound formats. So I'm looking at about £2700 worth of expenditure for the full system upgrade!

Not helping the problem: the One X is a lovely looking machine
    Helping the problem: there's hardly anything on Xbox I want to play. Even when it comes to multiplats. The majority of the games I'm interested in in the future seem to be Sony exclusives, apart from RDR 2.

It's a pain that the PS4 Pro is comparatively anaemic to be honest. If I could just upgrade my launch PS4 to a Pro model that was capable of actual 4K games and played 4K Blu-Rays, I'd do that for sure.

Comment

Enhanced games get a noticeable upgrade on a 1080p panel. Forza 7 and Origins both look and perform amazing.

I know 4K and HDR will take it to another level again but I can wait for those delights.

I almost upgraded our living room tv a few weeks back but I couldn't justify it ... there's just nothing wrong with the one we have ... it's good enough. For now.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        It's the v2 of the normal Xbox One pad I believe. The same as the One S's pad, but in black instead of white.

I'm starting to become very antsy to move to 4K myself. I've got a lovely 1080p Panasonic plasma that I love dearly and have had for 5 years, but you know how it is when you get the upgrade urge. I wouldn't settle for anything other than OLED though, and I'd very likely go for Panasonic again. Aside from the focus on accuracy, I love the utilitarian aesthetic of their higher end sets.
        I went form my 2012 plasma to my 2016 Samsung QLED screen, which was 1/4 the cost of an OLED. The upgrade in image quality vs the plasma is noticable. LCD tech really has come on a lot.
        I wouldn't go back to the plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Very impressive. Reminds me of seeing game cube games on dolphin emulator.

Tempted to get a one x but without a 4k TV I think I'd feel like I was missing out...
          You'll still get the benefits though. I don't have a 4k TV but I can see the improvements plus smoother frame rates and higher textured world's are noticeable on a regular 1080p display.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Very impressive. Reminds me of seeing game cube games on dolphin emulator.

Tempted to get a one x but without a 4k TV I think I'd feel like I was missing out...
            Here is a shot of Halo 3 running on X enhanced, VS 360

Supersampled to 1080p and then zoomed. The differences are pretty stark, even supersampled

Comment

That is an astounding difference. Good on them for doing this, it might persuade me to get a One X as a 4K movie player for the lounge...

Comment

That's pretty amazing. It seems MS aren't making much noise about the feature either.

I already have Halo 3 in a drawer somewhere but I'll be picking up a copy of Crackdown after work. Love that game and it's only £1.50 in CEX (just hope I can find one in ... acceptable condition ).

Comment

Although this is great, it feels to me like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

I've said before how the 360 is probably my fave console OAT, but the "Teevee, Water Cooler, Teevee" reveal presentation felt like they suits had sat around wondering how they could best extort the user base that they'd built up over the previous two consoles.

The transition from 360 to One would've been easier with the prospect of being able to play new gen games, plus finish off some of the ones you'd not finished on the 360.

Obviously, none of that anti-consumer nonsense they thought we'd lap up either!

Now it just feels like Microsoft are saying "We're only making two games, so get a load of these old games!"
                  Forza Horizon (2012)
                  The Witcher 2 (2011)
                  Crackdown (2007)
                  Fable Anniversary (2014)

It's going to be great playing Crackdown again, but, at a decade old, part of that is nostalgia.

I don't want to be Nelly Negative, I just wanted Microsoft to swing and hit, rather than monumentally miss and forevermore play catch-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    That's pretty amazing. It seems MS aren't making much noise about the feature either.

I already have Halo 3 in a drawer somewhere but I'll be picking up a copy of Crackdown after work. Love that game and it's only £1.50 in CEX (just hope I can find one in ... acceptable condition ).
                    Crackdown was games with gold just before the Xbox One launched. do you already own it?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      Crackdown was games with gold just before the Xbox One launched. do you already own it?
                      I didn't have Gold back then so no, I shall have to crave CEX. Cheers for the heads-up though

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]
                        I dunno, I think it's a great way to revisit a classic. I know MS aren't massively prolific with their output this gen, but what they're offering here is a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy their back catalogue, significantly enhanced too.

When Nintendo give you an opportunity to play a game from their last console it costs full price again.

Comment

Nintendo are basts, but people lap it up, so they continue to repackage everything at full price on the VC, or bang out the Mini consoles.
                          It makes business sense.

Backwards compatibility IS a strong feature and it's one of the things I personally consider when moving up a gen, but it would've been better at launch.

If you're really desperate to play Crackdown, you could get a 2nd-hand copy for £1.50 and 360 from CEX for £40.
                          That's cheaper than a new game alone like Sea of Thieves , which is £49.99 on the store.

I really wanted Microsoft to smash it out the park, but they messed up.

It's like the BBC only showing remastered versions of Dad's Army and Last of the Summer Wine.
                          Great shows, but you need new content too.

Comment

I think the commitment to B/C is nice, it undermines PSNow nicely and the PCesque hardware is allowing these kinds of visual improvements. It's especially nice to see from MS following the 360's own backwards compatibility where they rolled it out to an alright extent but never made secret that in real world terms it's an incredibly small percentage of system owners who actually use or care about it meaning it's more a nice gesture this gen from MS more than anything else. In terms of how well it's done though, it won't make a spot of difference to the platforms fortunes against the PS4. Not that it matters now I guess, nearing five years in the damage is done and the XBO is without doubt locked in for third place and chunky drop off from its predecessor making it more about starting on the right foot next time around... like Nintendo.

Comment

[MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION] agreed. It's probably not going to make much difference on its own to sales but helps improve their USP and definitely puts Sony in a harsher light.

It's a shame FH or Crackdown aren't on GamePass or available digitally. That said my backlog is big enough before I start being tempted to relook at old games I've played already.

As I've finally been able to spend time with my X after at last getting a TV that wasn't used for snowboarding. The thing that's struck me the most is just how much the dash has improved since my last Xbox (OG One). And also how good certain games look. Even though TF2 is only 1440p on my PC, it's almost indistinguishable on XBX. With an Xbox again I'm hoping I can get around to finishing Mass Effect 3 and RDR at last.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 02-03-2018, 12:55.

Comment

I’ll plop this in here but if anyone is on Three mobile and has the Wuntu app you can claim a one month game pass code to use, myself and my wife are on three so got two months stacked now, not bad gets me a copy of sea of thieves at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X