Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 CFW coming to all models (Superslim owners rejoice!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Das View Post
    Question is...why oh why would you ever own a super slim. Terrible piece of machinery!
    It's a games console dude, chill.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      It's a games console dude, chill.
      Just sayin...two other versions of said game console with much better build quality. Extremely poorly finished machine.

Comment

Just sayin...two other versions of said game console with much better build quality. Extremely poorly finished machine.
        Can't say I agree with you.

Phat unit had a nasty glossy finish, was huge, weighed a ton.

Slim towards the end had the same components used in a super slim but the footprint is even larger than a fat. Perhaps the most premium feeling though, sure.

There's not a thing wrong with the build quality of the super slim.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Can't say I agree with you.

Phat unit had a nasty glossy finish, was huge, weighed a ton.

Slim towards the end had the same components used in a super slim but the footprint is even larger than a fat. Perhaps the most premium feeling though, sure.

There's not a thing wrong with the build quality of the super slim.
          I agree the initial PS3 was ridiculously heavy. However, the slim is still the one to go for. Super slim is a horrible design and cheaply made.

Anyway, back on topic. I love cfw PS3s. They are a geeks dream.

Comment

Question is...why oh why would you ever own a super slim. Terrible piece of machinery!
            Out of necessity, really! I didn't bring my slim to Japan so decided to buy a super slim. They'd stopped selling new slims so I went for a super because used prices here are almost the same as new and I wanted the 1-year warranty. Also, online reports were that it was quiet(but, as you say, the BR drive gets noisy sometimes). Also#2, I used the points I got towards a second pad which saved me money.

Ironically, my super slim has frozen 3-4 times since owning it(and overheated a few times) whereas my slim never crashed once. I hadn't considered thermal paste but I have some Arctic Silver so maybe it's high time for a cleanup. Although I'll heed your warning about the plastic.

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
            Fair warning PS2 O2 runs like ass and is nowhere near as smooth as it was back then but its still passable if you're not a 60FPS fiend like me
            When it comes to racers, I'm definitely a 60fps fiend! Really wish I'd bought it on PS3 when it was available but I already had it on 360 and never considered the license expiring until it was too late.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Out of necessity, really! I didn't bring my slim to Japan so decided to buy a super slim. They'd stopped selling new slims so I went for a super because used prices here are almost the same as new and I wanted the 1-year warranty. Also, online reports were that it was quiet(but, as you say, the BR drive gets noisy sometimes). Also#2, I used the points I got towards a second pad which saved me money.

Ironically, my super slim has frozen 3-4 times since owning it(and overheated a few times) whereas my slim never crashed once. I hadn't considered thermal paste but I have some Arctic Silver so maybe it's high time for a cleanup. Although I'll heed your warning about the plastic.
              Thats really interesting as I've only played through MGS2 and 3 on mine but was at it for quite some time on both and in both times the machine surprised me at how silent/cool it remained. My Slim had never crashed either and was relatively quiet compared to say an OG Xbox but the SuperSlim is pretty much silent and the drive is the loudest part. What games made it crash?

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              When it comes to racers, I'm definitely a 60fps fiend! Really wish I'd bought it on PS3 when it was available but I already had it on 360 and never considered the license expiring until it was too late.
              I hear ya and fear not, where there is a will there is a way Outrun is the main reason I want CFW actually as it just looks/plays so wonderfully on the PS3:

Comment

My super slim hasn't overheated and I've owned one since early 2013, so 5 years. I am in Blighty though, maybe that helped.

Comment

My Slim still working fine after six years, it's been proper hammered, left on for days at a time, and it was second hand when I bought it.

Comment

With this type of stuff it's best to wait until they iron out the bugs, but if it adds in PS2 support and removes the region lock from PS1 games I'd be interested.

Comment

[MENTION=1156]des[/MENTION] have you ever redone the thermal paste on a slim including the heat spreaders before?

Comment

Apparently this is what you'll have to do to get your disc based games booting off the hard drive

The tut if for lower FW hacks but the process is apparently supposed to be the same for when the SS exploit is launched as they used a similar attack vector. Apparently the new signing tool is a bit different/simpler and does work with games that don't have an update but still no all in one solution like the old CFW where you could rip your discs to the drive on the machine and use emulators and whatnot.

Hmm...

*looks around for a good Slim*

Comment

Released:

UPDATE 1 (OCT. 11 2018) - With the release of OFW 4.83 portions of PS3Xploit have been patched, The team is looking at workarounds, STAY ON 4.82, DO...

Comment

Well thats a tremendous load of faff.

Kudos for the reverse engineering and creating a userland exploit but its a tad pants for those of us without Blu Ray drives to rip our games connected to PCs running Windows for the apps that must be used and all the rest of the hoopla involved in getting it to the system but it looks like I'll be getting a Slim instead because it offers everything in an all in one box plus you get to run homebrew which was the main draw anyway aside from ripping games to the HD and reinstalling old PKGs of Outrun Online Arcade.

Has anyone actually installed this to their machine yet? If so I'd be interested in knowing whether its much easier/quicker to "reactivate" the hack once you've done all the prep because if its simply a case of:

Open browser>Boot exploit>run installed games

Then that really isn't too bad.

Comment

What kind of world are we living in where people who hack their PS3s don't own PCs with Windows?

I'm not bothering with it right now because I can't think of anything I want to play that's worth the hassle/banning risk. I can't jeopardise Netflix/Hulu/Amazon access.

:edit: unless you meant we have to have the PS3 connected to the PC running apps to do the actual haxxoring, in which case I take it back!
                              Last edited by randombs; 15-03-2018, 02:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X