Retro|Spective 027: Onimusha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Have you played Resi 7 [MENTION=3985]chopemon[/MENTION]?

It does a good job of bringing that type of experience up to date.
    For the first half

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
      Happy to say I own every game on this list, although I've only played Tactics and Blade Warriors a handful of times.

I ***LOVE*** the Onimusha games, Dawn Of Dreams is probably the strongest with its highly upgradeable gameplay, Oni 2 is a very worthy sequel, 3 is great but kinda wonky in feel...I like the original best. It's the purest and most atmospheric, no gimmicks.

Was thinking last Thursday why nobody ever wanted to revisit Onimusha. Even the weaker games were very brill.
      I always thought that about 3, the production values were immense, but the fact they had random Americans talking in hanky voices over the top of Jean Reno, and the Japanese fella who plays Samanosuke- made it feel really cheap and like a bad dub job- not it a good waybthiught haha- they sounded so alike that when they were on screen together- I literally had no idea who was who hahah

Comment

Not yet. When I played the demo I saw a lot of cheap scares and teleporting enemies (enter a room, nothing there, go to another room and one of the Bakers walks out of the room you were just in and past the door to the room you're in to give you a scare) so I haven't given it a go. Does the full game have that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
          Not yet. When I played the demo I saw a lot of cheap scares and teleporting enemies (enter a room, nothing there, go to another room and one of the Bakers walks out of the room you were just in and past the door to the room you're in to give you a scare) so I haven't given it a go. Does the full game have that problem?
          On occassion. I can’t think of a specific instance if that scenario occurring, certainly not when you were in an empty room to have them coming out out it a moment later- but certainly they will come out of a corridor you were just in, while you’re searching a room. I think when it does happen it tends to be scripted iirc.

If you like old school resi, it does resemble it from a first person viewpoint - at least for the first half - but it’s not a patch on the originals imo.

Comment

Once you get out of the initial housing areas Resi 7 eases off the gas and tries to become a more traditional experience with weapons. I enjoyed it's approach but I don't think I'd want a chain of games in a very similar manner.

I need to go back at some point and try Oni 4

Comment

Yes, yes you do.

Comment

And here's a hint for thread 028:

In restless dreams

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  And here's a hint for thread 028:

In restless dreams
                  NiGHTS?

Comment

I can see the thinking... but nope!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      I can see the thinking... but nope!
                      40 Winks?

Comment

If it’s Silent Hill 2, it’s “In MY restless dreams”... (I see that town, Silent Hill)

Comment

Kirov wins and also schools me

Comment

Haha sorry. Between Onimusha and SH, these games are my bag. Baby.

Comment

Working...
                            X