No announcement yet.

definitive Double Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arcade. I was hooked on it during a two-week stay at Pontins in 1988, which is also the reason for my love of the C64 version. It was the first C64 game I ever bought. £10 from Boots in Brent Cross if I remember correctly.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

SMS was the version I had growing up, I had to resort to performing 30 jumping reverse kicks on the last level to enable free play to complete it, those damn spears! Doesn't Marian get brutally gunned down in the arcade DD2 after your hit start?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        Arcade. I was hooked on it during a two-week stay at Pontins in 1988, which is also the reason for my love of the C64 version. It was the first C64 game I ever bought. £10 from Boots in Brent Cross if I remember correctly.
        You poor, poor kid
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          You poor, poor kid
          Tell me about it. The invisible belts were killer. LOL
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

If we're just talking about a straight port of the OG coin-op then the MD/Genesis port has to be the definitive version, surely?

I'd arguably put the GB port up there as well. Not totally arcade-perfect by any means but plays fine with satisfyingly tight controls and at least it has the main 2P co-op (albeit needing a link cable) which is more than can be said for the NES port.

That said, my personal favourite is Double Dragon Advance - a brilliant modern re-imagining of the original.

NES and MS ports are just as bad as each other imo - former for lacking the 2P co-op in the main game and the dreadful RPG-style level-up system to acquire all of the moves, latter for being a flickery graphical mess with controls that are nowhere near tight enough.

Super Double Dragon is quality but obviously doesn't count as it is basically "Best of Double Dragon" combining elements of the entire trilogy.

Comment

Game boy Double Dragon had co-op?!?

Are you sure? I thought the 2P mode was one on one fighting against each other, although it's 27 years since I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                Game boy Double Dragon had co-op?!?

Are you sure? I thought the 2P mode was one on one fighting against each other, although it's 27 years since I tried it.
                You've confused GB Double Dragon with NES Double Dragon.

The 2P mode in NES Double Dragon is vs. fighting. The main "Rescue Marian" game is 1P only.

GB Double Dragon has 2P co-op like the coin-op, but you need two copies of the game and a link cable.

Comment

It seems from YouTube vids that the Gameboy version has co-op and one on one. For some reason I never tried the co-op.

Comment

Working...
                  X