No announcement yet.

Playstation 4: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talk to lots of 14 year olds who have spent hundreds (pocket money) on the game and parents with teenagers who are spending.

These assholes are ruining gaming. I obviously try to educate them on the "good old days" but they just don't get it.

Did you know kids are actually picked on for being a "default"? I have witnessed it first hand as a teacher. The class was special needs, granted, but it is definitely a thing.

Comment

Kids can be cruel feckers, can't they.

I know at the infant and junior school both my daughters go to, they have tried to put a blanket ban by educating parents about Fortnite because the game is just so popular amongst the kids. On the day a new season is released all you hear from the kids at pickup time is excitement about the game. You realise then it's one of those games that is a cultural phenomenon like Minecraft or WoW etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
        I talk to lots of 14 year olds who have spent hundreds (pocket money) on the game and parents with teenagers who are spending.

These assholes are ruining gaming. I obviously try to educate them on the "good old days" but they just don't get it.

Did you know kids are actually picked on for being a "default"? I have witnessed it first hand as a teacher. The class was special needs, granted, but it is definitely a thing.
        Assholes? Go back to your SNES old man.

Comment

Reminds me of Pokemon when I was a kid. It just took over, all anyone wanted to talk about was Pokemon. There were 3 or 4 kids in my class who weren't into it and they actually stuck out because of it.

It became a bit of an unhealthy obsession for me as a kid to be honest, but still...gg!

Comment

On another note, Nomura admits that maybe they announced FF7 remake too early, GEEE, YOU THINK?

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/6/24/17498704/final-fantasy-7-launch-date-tetsuya-nomura-announced-too-early

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
              Assholes? Go back to your SNES old man.
              That was said in jest but yes, it's not just whales who are spending hundreds on one game any more - it's regular teenagers. Most kids get between £20 and £50 per week pocket money. At the moment that's all going on skins of all things. Allowing publishers to get away with such robbery is ruining gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
                Kids can be cruel feckers, can't they.

I know at the infant and junior school both my daughters go to, they have tried to put a blanket ban by educating parents about Fortnite because the game is just so popular amongst the kids. On the day a new season is released all you hear from the kids at pickup time is excitement about the game. You realise then it's one of those games that is a cultural phenomenon like Minecraft or WoW etc.
                It is a big problem. Tomorrow morning I will walk past zombified 12 year olds who were playing fortnite on their phone until 4am.

Comment

For Sony though it'll take a run of these issues to force their hand, big as Fortnite is it's an isolated game. There are other titles that have hit the same issue but not in the kind of numbers Sony has to worry about. Realistically, they know that cross play isn't going to prevent them from steamrolling Microsoft next gen just as it isn't stopping people from playing Fortnite on PS4 despite the gardened nature of it.

It is a daft decision really but, despite the games popularity, one I still imagine few actually care that much about despite the furore.

Comment

I mean, presumably they already have a PS4 and this has been happening since 360/PS3. I just don't see the problem at all.

It's just people upset that they have to buy skins on switch again.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      For Sony though it'll take a run of these issues to force their hand, big as Fortnite is it's an isolated game. There are other titles that have hit the same issue but not in the kind of numbers Sony has to worry about. Realistically, they know that cross play isn't going to prevent them from steamrolling Microsoft next gen just as it isn't stopping people from playing Fortnite on PS4 despite the gardened nature of it.

It is a daft decision really but, despite the games popularity, one I still imagine few actually care that much about despite the furore.
                      Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                      I mean, presumably they already have a PS4 and this has been happening since 360/PS3. I just don't see the problem at all.

It's just people upset that they have to buy skins on switch again.
                      I can't think of a time a multiplatform game has been locked out in this way. Up until now, multiplatforms games have been their own entity on each platform i.e. Rocket League, Overwatch, ESO, Warframe etc. Cross platform matchmaking has been requested and debated many times before but actually using your third-party account across platforms is a relatively new issue.

I sense if the backlash is enough, then Sony may do a u-turn. However as each day goes by, then the odds might decrease. It's an issue that could crop up again if games are going to continue to allow place shifting like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
                        I can't think of a time a multiplatform game has been locked out in this way. Up until now, multiplatforms games have been their own entity on each platform i.e. Rocket League, Overwatch, ESO, Warframe etc. Cross platform matchmaking has been requested and debated many times before but actually using your third-party account across platforms is a relatively new issue.

I sense if the backlash is enough, then Sony may do a u-turn. However as each day goes by, then the odds might decrease. It's an issue that could crop up again if games are going to continue to allow place shifting like this.
                        There probably waiting for the forghtnight fad to simply dissipate. Then it’s a non issue.

Comment

So due to the recent PSVR discount and a bunch of stuff at E3, I'm finally buying a PS4 on Friday from someone on this very forum.

Can people tell me the some things that are useful to know about owning one? Any extremely low-price games I should immediately grab? I probably won't get PSPlus, at least not at first, as I'm not likely to play much multiplayer stuff.

EDIT: How does the PS4 handle accounts? I already have a PSN ID on the PS3/Vita, but doesn't the PS4 add a bunch of stuff to the accounts system? Anything worth knowing?
                          Last edited by Asura; 26-06-2018, 08:30.

Comment

If you don't plan to go online, using an account is pretty pointless outside of trophies.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Accounts basically work identically to the PS3 etc, if you still have your logins you can access them straight from the off. Overall the system works pretty much the same as the PS3 in general

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                There probably waiting for the forghtnight fad to simply dissipate. Then it’s a non issue.
                                Yea, it'll never catch on....

As an aside their Playstation Twitter is a car crash right now. Every first reply is about Fortnite and a growing number of users taking pictures with their new Xbox Ones. Nice PR.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                So due to the recent PSVR discount and a bunch of stuff at E3, I'm finally buying a PS4 on Friday from someone on this very forum.

Can people tell me the some things that are useful to know about owning one? Any extremely low-price games I should immediately grab? I probably won't get PSPlus, at least not at first, as I'm not likely to play much multiplayer stuff.

EDIT: How does the PS4 handle accounts? I already have a PSN ID on the PS3/Vita, but doesn't the PS4 add a bunch of stuff to the accounts system? Anything worth knowing?
                                It'll use your same PSN account, so all your trophies and previous purchases are linked. So if you have any cross-Vita/PS4 games these will be in your library. Personally I wouldn't be creating multiple PSN accounts. You'll need to activate the PS4 as your primary console.

Probably loads of games worth picking up. Actually there is a 'Games under £12' promotion live on PSN until 4th July. There's some cheap classics in there, although barely any first party stuff I can see, although they were just discounted in their recent E3 sale. Sales do happen quite frequently though.

My small tip is turn the DS4 joypad light at the back down to 'dim' in the settings so it doesn't reflect anyway as much on your TV screen.
                                Last edited by Digfox; 26-06-2018, 09:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X