No announcement yet.

TV|Shark 005: Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been hesitant to carry on watching The Walking Dead due to what people have been saying about it and that I don’t know where the show can go creatively. All I can see are survivors running from the zombie threat ad infinitum with no story resolve whatsoever, a typical example of a network show gone out of control. It’s almost akin to a big budget soap opera that could in effect keep going forever. Whether or not the fan base want that is a different matter entirely though. For that reason I can at least applaud the writers of Lost for wanting to bring the show to a close narratively. It shows at least some kind of vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
      I’ve been hesitant to carry on watching The Walking Dead due to what people have been saying about it and that I don’t know where the show can go creatively. All I can see are survivors running from the zombie threat ad infinitum with no story resolve whatsoever, a typical example of a network show gone out of control. It’s almost akin to a big budget soap opera that could in effect keep going forever. Whether or not the fan base want that is a different matter entirely though. For that reason I can at least applaud the writers of Lost for wanting to bring the show to a close narratively. It shows at least some kind of vision.

That's interesting to read, because that's exactly what the creator, Robert Kirkman, first said about the comic. He wanted it be a story that carried on going with characters coming and going and nobody being safe.

However, he said at last year's Comicon:
      "I think about two or three years ago, I had a pretty good idea for a definitive ending. I have known that since then and been working towards that, so I know exactly where I’m going and what’s gonna happen when I get there. […]

It’s actually more difficult to write The Walking Dead than it’s ever been because we’ve done a lot of stuff. To be able to top yourself, and keep things fresh, and keep things interesting … It gets harder and harder and harder as you go. Knowing what the end game is and working towards that, makes it a little bit easier."

So he did plan to have an endless story, like a soap opera, as you say.

I think it helps knowing there's no end in sight, just recollections of the trials of those lucky/unlucky to survive in a zombie-filled world.

Lost was frustrating because it felt like there was a mystery to unravel and each new revelation seemed to take the viewer further from that truth. There are still a load of unanswered questions that the show just dropped when it had finished distracting you for a bit.

I've said it before, but Lost is the reason I'm reluctant to commit to new shows because I'd rather know if there's a finite story arc planned, rather than lose its momentum and/or get axed.

The only show I've watched this year to completion is Godless because it's a short series with a finite story arc.

I did enjoy Lost, however, and I loved your enthusiastic post, [MENTION=1826]Arashikage[/MENTION]!

Comment

As much as sprawling multi-year narratives can be great more TV's should take the old movie mantra (which not enough movies follow either) or putting every good idea into the movie/season you're working on as though there will never be another. By not holding good stuff back for presumed future instalments it strengthens the existing one and even if you use all your ideas you're more likely to create room for new ideas or finish on a high that sets you up for your next project.

It's hard work when a series if obviously working towards a big moment but drags it out for ten or more episodes. The viewer should never be allowed to get ahead of the show or it's failed. Imagine if most of Lost's first three seasons reveals and mysteries had taken place in a single 23 ep run.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I gave up half way through the second season (which started brilliantly). The show moved sideways far too much and not forward enough.

When you have seasons of 20+ episodes you'd better have plenty to say. Lost didn't. The intrigue factor fizzled out and I moved on.
          This is exactly where I gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            This is exactly where I gave up.
            I think I may have given up at the same point too. I remember a lot of people I knew remained fervent fans, but I just began to find it boring. Every episode was 5 mins of island stuff then an hour of pointless exposition about one of the characters' pasts, which invariably led nowhere.

Shame, because the first season was good. But Lost's filler to killer ratio was way, way off.

I've since read up on what happens on Wikipedia. I have to say I'm not sorry I didn't keep watching.

Comment

Working...
            X