No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 028: Silent Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was ****e, you’re missing nothing. They basically copied Saw of all things, a lot of scenes being shot for shot the same.

Comment

That sounds awful, one of SH's strengths is there's very little need for actual violent content because the tone and narrative are enough to put you on edge.

Comment

I reeeeeeally liked Downpour. I know it is aping SH2 story wise rather than doing something unique and the characters are all unlikable but I found exploring the town to be really creepy and atmospheric. The pyramid head stand in was poor and the enemies were weak designs but exploring the open world parts of it were really tense and enjoyable.

I recently played through Silent Hill 2 after starting it a number of times but never finishing it. Fantastic exploration and story that isn't served to you on a plate. Now I've got my PS1 hooked up, SH1 is next on my list followed by 3 and 4.

Comment

Something that really needs a mention in this thread is the music. Akira Yamaoka creates something pretty incredible with the Silent Hill soundtracks. The audio alone is a large part of what makes the first game so scary and gives the series its eerie atmosphere. The industrial noise stuff really gets under your skin but the more musical stuff can be hauntingly beautiful.

I remember thinking it was really odd that the soundtrack CD to the first game was built around the scary noise stuff and left out much of the more musical cues. Who would just pop that on for a nice listen?! But the second game’s OST is a masterpiece even without the game. It’s an incredible album. And aside from a couple of dodgy male vocal tracks somewhere (SH4 maybe?) the music was consistently brilliant up until his exit. The Shattered Memories pieces are particularly beautiful. Full of loneliness.

I have no idea what the music was like after he left the series but every soundtrack he contributed was a gift.

Comment

It's another sign of the strengths of the series that the original film tried to take as much as it could from them and was, for once, stronger for doing so. Less said about the sequel though...

Clue for next time:

You can choose your opponent but you can't choose your family

Comment

Silent Hill 2 Surprises Fans with New Secrets Even After a Decade Later.

"“Mini map:

A hidden mini map can be activated by a set of complex button combinations. First, you must have completed the Dog Ending. After you have completed the Dog Ending, make sure your controller type is set to 2 if you are playing on the international versions of the game. Finally, press the following buttons while you have control over your character: Start + L2 + Square + L3. You may need to first enter the inventory menu screen, exit, and while exiting hold Start button and then input the rest of the button sequence.

Save Anywhere:

This hidden feature has a more complex set of button combinations that need to be input to bring up the save menu anywhere. Have control over your character, and then press the following buttons: D-Pad Left + Left Analog Stick Left + Right Analog Stick Left + L2 + L1 + L3″

Apparently, Silent Hill 2 fans had been speculating about a possible mini-map since 2015, as you can actually pull it up by messing around with some of the toggles in the game’s code. While it might not have much worth now, having a mini-map and the option to save anywhere will definitely lighten the load for those who’re still blazing through Silent Hill 2."

Comment

I started Silent Hill 3 a few weeks ago but I can't make it to the end. I got to the big shift in location and just couldn't go on. I wasn't fighting enemies because they're so easy to run past so the game just devolved into tapping X on every door in copy and pasted corridors. I really like the exploration of the streets in SH2 and 3 is just identikit corridors was the most tortuously slow drip feed of story. My copy of SH1 arrived recently so I'll hopefully start that soon or I may save it for halloween.

Comment

Working...
                X