Retro consoles that you won't go back to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post

Also og hanhelds, id like to get into gameboy and game gear etc but the screens are unbearable now without mods.
    The McWill screen mod for the GG transforms it into something worth owning. The looks I get on the train when I have the GG out.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      The McWill screen mod for the GG transforms it into something worth owning. The looks I get on the train when I have the GG out.
      That looks fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
        I accidentally liked this post You have your reasons of course, but for me:

Gamecube has some of the best Mario Party games, so I've been playing that a lot this year, with the family. Replayed Luigi's Mansion which has aged very nicely - I think it's still better than the sequel.

SNES, I can never get bored of this system - if I had to choose one console, it would be the SNES. Such a wonderful library.
        I don't do Mario, or any of his mates.

I got the SNES after the Amiga, perhaps I would have been better going Megadrive? Anyway the only game I really liked was Rock n Roll Racing.
        I didn't have a vast collection simply because everything I tried didn't grab me.

Gamecube was a similar venture after the DC with a similar outcome, no decent driving games for example. Only games I liked here were Pikmin and Soul Calibur.
        After three months I sold it and got an Xbox, much better due to Project Gotham 2, Halo, XSN sports, Dead or Alive (beat & beach), Panzer Dragoon etc etc.
        Soul Calibur on the Xbox was lightening quick to load which led to one slightly poorer experience, the Gamecube version had a decent amount of time to taunt due to longer loading whereas it was impossible on the Xbox as no sooner had the taunt screen appeared you were fighting.
        Last edited by Anpanman; 27-02-2018, 15:38.

Comment

N64. Nothing on there I need to play.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            N64.
            I really need to sell mine.
            This ^^^

Really fail to see why it appeals to so many
            At the time I thought it was good enough to buy & games for but over the years it just dulled & lost all it's lustre
            Only redeeming games for me are the WWF & WCW titles these still haven't been bettered by any wrestling game since
            I would rather go back to a 3DO then play this again

Like you I definitely need to sell it

Neil

Comment

Anything and everything 8bit and earlier.

Neo Geo - tried this and was majorly underwhelmed.
              3DO - just no good games for this at all, well none you cant get better version on other systems.
              Jaguar - as above.

Comment

N64 & Gamecube...Not my cup of tea

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                  Soul Calibur on the Xbox was lightening quick to load which led to one slightly poorer experience, the Gamecube version had a decent amount of time to taunt due to longer loading whereas it was impossible on the Xbox as no sooner had the taunt screen appeared you were fighting.
                  General consensus is that the Gamecube and Xbox versions of SCII were different, but both good in their own way. The Gamecube one had the best special character; Link was the most fun to use. Heihachi in the PS2 version wasn't great and Spawn was broken; much too powerful. Conversely the Xbox version had a proper widescreen mode (where the game camera changed slightly to give a better view) and surround-sound.

You could nominate either, really, but the PS2 was the worst overall. I think few would disagree with that assertion.

Comment

There are usually a small number of great games on any system, regardless of age or manufacturer. Whether or not they're worth owning comes down to your space and budget constraints, and how happy you are with as perfect an emulation solution as you can get elsewhere.

There's nothing I'd say I can't go back to. TLoZ (NES, WiiVC) grabbed me for a whole two days a couple of weeks back, I'd never played it before so nostalgia wasn't a factor at all. Even the kids had a great time watching and joining in. A classic example of the sneaky design bastards at Nintendo and how they've not changed one bit over the years.

Someone mentioned the Wii being a waste of time and money... I have mine CFW'd up with well over 500 games on there stretching from NES, MS, PC Engine, Mega Drive, SNES, NeoGeo, N64, Gamecube, Wii. Then there's RetroArch for CPS, CPS2, and other MAME stuff. If I had to spend the rest of my life on a desert island and could only bring one console it'd definitely be that.

Comment

I loved C64 and Amiga back in the days, in a craze I recently bought a complete Amiga 500 again but just couldnt get back into it at all. Apart from the great music which is still outstanding i couldnt really get in to any games.... Shame really, I used to love Moonstone.... everything else retro is fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        Does look great really want to get a mcwill Lynx when finances allow!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          General consensus is that the Gamecube and Xbox versions of SCII were different, but both good in their own way. The Gamecube one had the best special character; Link was the most fun to use. Heihachi in the PS2 version wasn't great and Spawn was broken; much too powerful. Conversely the Xbox version had a proper widescreen mode (where the game camera changed slightly to give a better view) and surround-sound.

You could nominate either, really, but the PS2 was the worst overall. I think few would disagree with that assertion.
                          I remember reading a review which said as much, the PS2 version was a disaster. The GC version was noted for its fire/flame effects which I did think were better.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                            Does look great really want to get a mcwill Lynx when finances allow!
                            Yeah me too. I hope he offers the Nomad screen mod he was talking about eventually too.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                              Anything and everything 8bit and earlier.

Neo Geo - tried this and was majorly underwhelmed.
                              3DO - just no good games for this at all, well none you cant get better version on other systems.
                              Jaguar - as above.
                              3do has Return Fire. The best 2 player game ever made and it's the best version too.

Starblade. A really good super street fighter 2.

Comment

And the best road rash.

Comment

Working...
                                X