User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I always loved the humour of Zero magazine, don't think it was a very big seller mind you, but had a cool look as well. I also never missed C&VG, Ace, games machine, mean machines.

ZERO was really cool, one of the best, it's because it had most of the staff from Your Sinclair working on it, some of the funniest writers in the biz at the time. YS and ZERO were the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I always loved the humour of Zero magazine, don't think it was a very big seller mind you, but had a cool look as well. I also never missed C&VG, Ace, games machine, mean machines.
    I was just going to say Zero too- it was a great mag and funny with it. I remember some great demos coming with it too on a dual Amgia/Atari ST disc, if I remember right. I think quite a few of the writers used to write for Your Sinclair, which was also a decent mag, but I used to get Sinclair User instead. I did get the issue of YS that came with a sample issue of Viz though, which I think I've still got lying around somewhere.

edit- Ha, snap- Jazz beat me to it!

Soz mate but fully in concurrence! I remember those magazines so fondly, the 'hatstand' humour found nowhere else.

Zero was brilliant, the irreverent humour really struck a chord with me when I was younger. I loved their spin-off Game Zone too, which was their version of Mean Machines to CVG. They got away with murder in those days. I still remember the subscription leaflet in Game Zone with the headline “Subscribe to Game Zone or we’ll drown this cat” with a picture of a poor moggy over a toilet. You’d never see that nowadays.

All this Zero talk made me look it up and:

https://archive.org/details/zero-magazine

Yes indeed. Can't believe I forgot that one, after all who doesn't remember Whistlin Rick?

And let's not forget Zzap! when it was helmed by our very own gordon back in the day, it was my fave Zzap! period, lots of laughs and humour and great writing.

PS seeing that Elvira cover made me realise just how many impure thoughts I had about her back then...

I remember an article in Zero that still makes me laugh now. It was about AI and the strapline said to investigate artificial intelligence we sent a man with none. Think the dopey bloke in question was called Duncan and was always being teased in the mag for being a bit simple.

Speaking of things you couldn't get away with now, anyone remember when Sinclair User ran a comp and the prize was an Airifix model or similar and they said something like "just imagine all the fumes you'll now have the excuse to inhale", then they had to print an apology in the next issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Cepp View Post
    I always bought CVG with its recycled paper in the middle heh. Looking back it was a bit of a lads mag
    What do you mean? I don't remember it as such. I mean the humour was probably juvenile but I was 13, so...

That being said, my favourite ever mag was the short run of MAXIMUM. It was written by most of the same guys who also wrote for CVG and Sega Saturn Magazine, and was sort-of EMAP's equivalent to EDGE, I think - in that it was a higher price mag with better quality printing and a more mature tone both in looks and in the text.