gaming magazines you grew up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this Zero talk made me look it up and:

Yes indeed. Can't believe I forgot that one, after all who doesn't remember Whistlin Rick?

Comment

And let's not forget Zzap! when it was helmed by our very own gordon back in the day, it was my fave Zzap! period, lots of laughs and humour and great writing.

Comment

PS seeing that Elvira cover made me realise just how many impure thoughts I had about her back then...

Comment

I remember an article in Zero that still makes me laugh now. It was about AI and the strapline said to investigate artificial intelligence we sent a man with none. Think the dopey bloke in question was called Duncan and was always being teased in the mag for being a bit simple.

Speaking of things you couldn't get away with now, anyone remember when Sinclair User ran a comp and the prize was an Airifix model or similar and they said something like "just imagine all the fumes you'll now have the excuse to inhale", then they had to print an apology in the next issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            I always bought CVG with its recycled paper in the middle heh. Looking back it was a bit of a lads mag
            What do you mean? I don't remember it as such. I mean the humour was probably juvenile but I was 13, so...

That being said, my favourite ever mag was the short run of MAXIMUM. It was written by most of the same guys who also wrote for CVG and Sega Saturn Magazine, and was sort-of EMAP's equivalent to EDGE, I think - in that it was a higher price mag with better quality printing and a more mature tone both in looks and in the text.

Comment

Super Play! Still have all of it but three issues (which got destroyed by mould). Was nothing else like it. Superb games coverage with a strong slant to the NTSC import side of things, and features about anime and life in Japan – what could have been better?

Comment

The only magazine I collect for nowadays is classic Mean Machines (not when it became NMS and Mean Machines Sega) I only need one more issue (issue 3) to have a full set, it seems to be a hard issue to find though While it reads somewhat amateurishly nowadays the nostalgia factor is through the roof on this one.

Comment

I'm going to give my very Italian perspective on the matter by saying that the first gaming magazine I've ever bought was...CVG. Yep, we had CVG in Italy. Most articles were translations from the UK version, and the layout always followed the oversea editon. In the beginning the magazine had only a few articles and reviews written by Italians, most were translated, but progressively the balance changed, and just before the publisher canned it (late '90s IIRC) it was written mostly by Italians.

CVG wasn't the only gaming magazine originating from the UK we had, I remember Zzap! and probably a lot of Amiga magazines followed the same suit. Mean Machines saw limited distribution too, from what I remember.

As for "pure" gaming magazines, K and its successor, Zeta, were my favourite for PC gaming; Game Power was the console counterpart, published by the same guys. We also had SuperConsole and MegaConsole during the 16bit era for SNES and MegaDrive but never liked those.

Then the editorial market was gobbled up by Future Publishing and the number of publications drastically dropped, with Console Mania for consoles, and The Games Machine for PC. There were some magazines exclusive to console formats, like Cube, which for most of its life was published in an unusual square layout...I guess don't need to specify for which console that was dedicated to

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    What do you mean? I don't remember it as such. I mean the humour was probably juvenile but I was 13, so...

That being said, my favourite ever mag was the short run of MAXIMUM. It was written by most of the same guys who also wrote for CVG and Sega Saturn Magazine, and was sort-of EMAP's equivalent to EDGE, I think - in that it was a higher price mag with better quality printing and a more mature tone both in looks and in the text.
                    The tips/strategy section in the middle was printed on paper that felt like it came from the same printing factory as The Loot, at least in 98/99. I distinctly remember checking out some Ocarina of Time tips that way.

I always thought the writing was good tbh, prior to the redesign anyway

Comment

C&VG was at its very best when it had the newsprint centre pages, lots more text and the writers seemed to be jazzing off each other, creating some amusing humour.

Super Play was a brilliant mag, the best SNES mag, the only thing I didn't like was that it never really made me chuckle.

Chuckles are important, oh yes.

Comment

The only two that genuinely matter to me, looking back, are Zzap!64 and Super Play, for fairly identical reasons... the reviewers felt like one of your own, like mates, and the magazines covered areas that others might not have thought about, or in a fashion to engage the readers and introduce them to other interests.
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Check that out Asura, close to the middle of the mag. It's more than just tips and guides as JazzFunk says, I forgot about some of this stuff.

Reading the classified section is bringing a smile to my face. If only some of those games were that cheap today

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                            Check that out Asura, close to the middle of the mag. It's more than just tips and guides as JazzFunk says, I forgot about some of this stuff.
                            No, no, you misunderstand. I remember the "FreePlay" section well. As I said above, I once got something printed in the mag, and it was in that section. I was just asking what you meant about it being a "lad mag".

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              No, no, you misunderstand. I remember the "FreePlay" section well. As I said above, I once got something printed in the mag, and it was in that section. I was just asking what you meant about it being a "lad mag".
                              Oh, my bad. I was referring to Playstation Plus.

Comment

N64 magazine Issue 11 Jan 1998 was my first which, if I can recall correctly, my mum bought me after I had a very traumatic experience at the doctors (it gave me a phobia against blood tests for well over 10 years). I was in my early teens and my mum wanted to treat me to a magazine as I was really upset.

Revealed many games to me including Zelda Ocarina of time and others I did not know about unless I heard about them at the local Electronics Boutique. I started buying the magazine regularly from issue 14 and got every one till NGC magazine and I think I kept up with that throughout until Ngamer where I stopped. Only magazine I didn't read much (annoyingly) was Issue 49 which I specifically remember had tips/ a large section and front cover about Majoras Mask which I was really hoping to read. I bought it just before issue 50 and it just got lost.

I wrote in a few times, got 2 letters published in the letter section (including Star Letter) plus a mention I think. Still have a fair few of the posters and the odd guide book it came with. With the first letter I never received the pin badge so when I was emailed that I had won star letter in advance I asked cheekily if they could send another which they did but the 'pin' part broke off and got lost a few months later. I may have the front of it somewhere.

I had all the magazines until about 8 years ago when I tried to offer them up to people on another gaming forum but postage would have been crazy so one sad day I recycled all but the two issues I was published in.

Also got the 2 Gameboy magazines they did Planet Game Boy which I still have, and the Link from Zelda keyring it came with

Comment

Working...
                                X