No announcement yet.

gaming magazines you grew up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my favourite magazine was probably Arcade.

It was more fun than Edge, but had more content than C&VG, which was a bit puerile by that point with the recycled paper in the middle.

The articles were interesting with a sense of enjoying the games and the reviews always felt fair, my favourite being their Half-Life one that talked of people with "that look" in their eyes after playing it.

I always have enjoyed GamesTM though and am glad it's still going.
    I'm forever grateful to Martin Mathers who arranged for me to meet Tim Rogers when I went to Tokyo and he showed me around Akihabara.

I'm pretty sure he gyped me on their "win an arcade cabinet" competition in 2003 and it's sat in the lounge of some former editor!

Comment

Commodore User, before that it was called Vic computing I think, then later amiga format. Micro mart and Byte. Not many gaming specific mags really apart from Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I think my favourite magazine was probably Arcade.

It was more fun than Edge, but had more content than C&VG, which was a bit puerile by that point with the recycled paper in the middle.

The articles were interesting with a sense of enjoying the games and the reviews always felt fair, my favourite being their Half-Life one that talked of people with "that look" in their eyes after playing it.

I always have enjoyed GamesTM though and am glad it's still going.
        I'm forever grateful to Martin Mathers who arranged for me to meet Tim Rogers when I went to Tokyo and he showed me around Akihabara.

I'm pretty sure he gyped me on their "win an arcade cabinet" competition in 2003 and it's sat in the lounge of some former editor!
        I seem to remember liking this too. I don’t remember it being around for very long. In my mind, it was so obscure that no one on this thread would mention it. They hadn’t by page 3, so I went off a-googlin’ and eventually found information about it. Bearing in mind, I couldn’t even remember the title, this was a bit of a mission.

Then I clicked back on here to post about it to see the same sodding issue I’d just found staring at me.

Anyway, I like Commodore Format back in the day. Mega, Mean Machines and Sega.

Comment

looking back now i really wish i'd kept all my Mean Machines...that was the magazinge that got me and my mates seriously hyped for the SNES. we spent most of our days at school looking through the mags and chatting about what games we wanted...or hoped to get . great times!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            I spent endless hours with those mags and I could still remember every single thing about them. The internet has ruined gaming compared to how it was back then.
            That is true, but the Internet was also very special back in the day and I find it hard to knock the internet, because I read gaming news every day Instead of waiting 4 weeks for the new issue and be able to read what was happing in gaming around the world. I did love the early days of the web,like when I was able to read people views and impressions the day the Fighting MegaMix hit Japan (which was the 1st time I went online in the home) or the days of staying up late to watch some rubbish QT video of SEGA's New Challenge Conf and the 1st public showing of D2 on CVGs/SEGA Saturn Mag online portal, they were good times too.

I just miss the sense of enthusiasm in the game press.. looking forward to any new game or Hardware ,for no other reason than it was new hardware These days Mags, the internet is almost too ready to bash any system. I remember when Mags was looking forward too and talking up the Jaguar, it didn't matter if was crap or Atari, it was new hardware and people were excited by it.

All that's gone now and reviewing games is seen as a career and proper job, rather than in the Mean Machines days, with a bunch of gamers who couldn't believe their luck, that they were getting paid to review the games they would pay for and play anyway and that sort of came through their reviews

Comment

Difference between mags and the net is the former were generally staffed and helmed by those who loved games and gaming and in the latter the haters seem to have louder voices and bitch and moan about every single thing at any opportunity they get as that is seemingly what gets hits/people talking.

Thats one of the things I generally like about this forum in comparison to the bigger ones is that there is a much better ratio of decent folk to c*nts and people are still genuinely enthusiastic about staring at a screen and pressing buttons on a controller like a child when in reality they are a fully grown man child who should know better anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                I seem to remember liking this too. I don’t remember it being around for very long. In my mind, it was so obscure that no one on this thread would mention it. They hadn’t by page 3, so I went off a-googlin’ and eventually found information about it. Bearing in mind, I couldn’t even remember the title, this was a bit of a mission.

Then I clicked back on here to post about it to see the same sodding issue I’d just found staring at me.
                Sorry, Prinny!
                It was around for around 3 years, I think.
                I've still got most of the issues.
                I may have one missing.

I also enjoyed MegaTech.
                That had some cool stuff in it and I know I have a few issues of that up the loft alongside my Mean Machines and Complete Guide to Consoles, because I saw them this week fishing out my N64.

Comment

I think I only ever got one issue of MegaTech. Thoroughly enjoyed it and read it from cover to cover many times. It may even be that one there!

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    That is true, but the Internet was also very special back in the day and I find it hard to knock the internet, because I read gaming news every day Instead of waiting 4 weeks for the new issue and be able to read what was happing in gaming around the world. I did love the early days of the web,like when I was able to read people views and impressions the day the Fighting MegaMix hit Japan (which was the 1st time I went online in the home) or the days of staying up late to watch some rubbish QT video of SEGA's New Challenge Conf and the 1st public showing of D2 on CVGs/SEGA Saturn Mag online portal, they were good times too.

I just miss the sense of enthusiasm in the game press.. looking forward to any new game or Hardware ,for no other reason than it was new hardware These days Mags, the internet is almost too ready to bash any system. I remember when Mags was looking forward too and talking up the Jaguar, it didn't matter if was crap or Atari, it was new hardware and people were excited by it.

All that's gone now and reviewing games is seen as a career and proper job, rather than in the Mean Machines days, with a bunch of gamers who couldn't believe their luck, that they were getting paid to review the games they would pay for and play anyway and that sort of came through their reviews
                    i agree, it seemed like everyone was in it for the sheer enjoyment of it as opposed to nowadays where everyone seems to be instantly negative about everything that comes out. The reviews in Mean Machines and other mags of that era were from genuine gamers and you could tell they were loving every minute of it!

Comment

It was a good time, all of us on here who experienced it were very lucky. It was golden.

On a side note, someone boasted earlier so I will, I got star Xmas day letter on Teletext Gamecentral back in 2003, it is pretty much my only claim to fame and it means nothing.

Comment

And it was my intention to get it.

It was a weird moment in time, I felt like controlling the telly.

Comment

Had a subscription to Gamefan for a few years in the mid 90s, they provided so many screenshots the pages were so colourful it was incredible, if you were into import gaming you couldnt do better, great focus on PC Engine, FM Towns, Neo Geo etc.

Comment

First games mag I really got into was Ace magazine.

It was a multi format magazine which mainly covered home computers but started to inlcude the new consoles from Nintendo (NES) and Sega (MS) as they hit the UK market. Plenty of import coverage too. And it was reading Ace made my want to buy a Neo-Geo even though it would be a long time before I could afford one. It was pretty wide ranging in its scope for a games magazine arguably more of a multimedia magazine.
                            Looks like most of the issues are available here to read:

Their game reviews had a predicted interest curve element which is something I think present day reviews should bring back.

After Ace folded I had an Edge sub and a regular order for Diehard Gamefan and EGM at the local newsagents. I used to pick up MegaTech and Mean Machines Sega too. Arcade was a really good magazine too. Shame Edge become a Sony shill then went a bit pretentious.

Comment

CVG and Mean Machines at first, but I never bought them. It was more of a playground thing when somebody else had a copy. I did buy Nintendo Magazine System, Super Play and EGM (from the world newsagent at the end of the road) though. I used to look at the pictures in Famitsu in Shekana most weeks too. I used to buy the odd copy of Edge as well.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                                Difference between mags and the net is the former were generally staffed and helmed by those who loved games and gaming and in the latter the haters seem to have louder voices and bitch and moan about every single thing at any opportunity they get as that is seemingly what gets hits/people talking.
                                I think the fundamental difference is that YouTubers are paid in views, whereas magazines are paid in sales.

It's kinda sad, but the proliferation of the internet and its approach to "news" has brought about a situation where too much of culture depends on advertising. However, this is what people chose by not paying for things and instead going to look at free stuff instead. Got to confess, I'm guilty of it to some degree; I stopped buying mags apart from for the occasional train journey or something around 2002, though admittedly I didn't forsee how this would go.

People will generally take crap for free over good at cost.

I've read that the internet has done for journos what the digital camera did to photographers. Everyone is now a journalist, or rather, a large enough segment of the population (especially in the UK, with a high literacy rate) believe that the written word has no value because just like everyone can take photos, everyone can write.

This all makes me think I should go look up one of those niche mags that was featured in the Super Play special issue and subscribe to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X