No announcement yet.

gaming magazines you grew up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a few of the old sinclair spectrum and CVGs, but mainly I remember reading Amiga Format and Power, later the old NMS was great for the SNES, Saturn magazine seems like a really late magazine in comparison, but it was so well done.

Comment

The first I can remember is Zero for the amiga. Loved it. Then the usual suspects - CvG, Mean Machines, Games Master and Edge. But the absolute, undisputed pinnacle of video gaming journalism for me will always be Super Play!

Comment

The first magazine I remembering getting for my own choice was the official nintendo magazine issue 60(sept 1997). I'd just got an n64 a couple months after the big price drop I believe. The magazine had a review of Doom 64 in it. I can remember desperately wanting to play it as I loved the old computer game. Nowadays I'd take the pc original over it any day.

Comment

Weirdly enough, I spent the entirety of my time with Doom 64 with A Tribe Called Quest's 'The Love Movement' album playing in the background, I was trying to make it click as I'd been waiting ages for it so I had it on repeat.

I just remember thinking that it was nowhere near as good as 'The Low End Theory' or 'Midnight Marauders' and I also found Doom 64 to be not as cool as the PS1 version. But maybe that slightly disappointing Tribe album tarnished my experience with it...

Comment

Does anyone still have their little plastic Jaz Rignall figure? I think mine might be in Mum’s attic...

Comment

I've still got that little metal Rocket Knight pin badge, think it was C&VG it came with...

Comment

Zzap 64 is certainly the one I have the most love for. The reviewers seemed like real personalities (possibly helped by head illustrations next to their writing - the original emojis!), I felt like I knew these people and respected what they were saying (even Paul Sumner, who it turned out wasn't real ). The humour seemed right for the audience, unlike the overly formal techie mags that preceded it, or the kiddie-friendly magazines of the early 90s (which sadly, Zzap eventually became). Oli Frey's illustrations made *look* much better than other magazines. His game illustrations were usually much better than the artwork from the game itself. I remember loving that they had a music chart; it was great seeing there were other people who appreciated those SID tunes!

I used to sometimes buy C+VG. I didn't really know anyone who owned a console, so there was something quite mysterious about seeing them. Especially when the PC Engine and Megadrive appeared. I loved Sega from the arcades, so I liked reading about anything with their name on it. Once the Megadrive came out in the UK and was suddenly everywhere, it seemed a bit less mysterious, and I think I went back to Zzap for a while...
                Last edited by ZipZap; 12-03-2018, 22:26.

Comment

Made me lol when I found out Oli Frey had a sideline in gay erotica, painting in EXACTLY the same style as his Zzap! and Crash covers!

Comment

How did you find that out, Jazz?

Comment

I'd like to say I was searching for something exotic but a simple Google image search for 'Oliver Frey' throws up all kinds of funky stuff without even breaking a sweat.

Comment

Been so many over the years i can't remember a lot of them, remember when i got a spectrum as been the point i started buying games magazines. Crash, sinclair user and your sinclair kept me entertained over the years with the fab cover tapes they used to attach. Remember the older issues didn't even put the casette in a case it was just taped naked to the front of the mag. I remember been given a huge pile of very old C&VG magazines from the early 80's where they were all in b&w.

Once consoles started to appear that's when i started with C&VG along with mean machines, arcade, total, super play, official nintendo magazine, N64 magazine and whatever the gamecube one was called when N64 closed. i remember the hype of super mario bros 3 i would literally buy any magazine with an article or screenshots of it. Mean machines was the one that i will remember when they had a totally amazing super long review of it and to celebrate they added a huge mario 3 hologram on the front cover. Same with the super famicom when super mario world appeared on import i remember the screenshots been so fantastic, a new mario game that looked like nothing before it i remember loving the world map so much that i ended up framing it.

About 2004 i remember been introduced to what Japanese gaming magazines were like as i ended up buying famitsu cube+advance magazine off a guy in here think it was pootle (whatever happened to him?) the free gifts they gave away were stuff i'd have gladly paid for on it's own. The quality difference between that and mags over here at the time was night & day, the guides were extremely well done to the point of been official guidebook quality. Still have the fab pikmin e-reader cards they gave away in some of the issues and the card binder too. Did eventually pick up some of the famitsu DS+Wii mags but they were pretty expensive as it was before i learned how to get them myself so i used to pay through the ass for them from the Japan centre when i was down in London.

It was around the time of the wii i eventually stopped buying UK magazines mainly as the price they cost for the info you got out of them it just wasn't worth it anymore, if i was stuck on a long journey i sometimes picked one up randomly to take with me to pass the time but by then they were covering games i had already played to death on import so a bit of a dull read.

Comment

Working...
                        X