ToysRUs - Closing Down Offers inc Consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ToysRUs - Closing Down Offers inc Consoles

This ones already a difficult one as scalpers seem to be hoarding stock but now the site has ceased trading the stores have begun to reduce prices. If, and it's a big if, you can find stock the following prices are on offer:

Nintendo Switch Console - £214
    Xbox One X - £350
    £25 XBL or PSN Credit - £18.75

They'd probably gone before you finished writing that post!

Comment

Quite possibly, I'd read some speculation the shutters could be going down within 72 hours as stock is cleared out. Most of the offers don't seem to great to be honest. They're offering 10% of Lego but given they're usually more than 10% more expensive than online it's not much incentive.

Comment

Most stuff will be going back to the suppliers no doubt. Sounds like Lego is as 10% is hardly slashing the price.

Those se are very good prices on the consoles though.

Comment

We went into our local one, and it was evident that much of the stock had gone back to suppliers. There were no Switch items, and many of the shelves were bare.

That being said, [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] picked up a nerf gun pretty cheap - 20% off and it was already cheaper than normal.

We wanted to buy the Nerf Terrascout, which is the Nerf remote drone thing. Normally £200, so it would've been £160... But there's just no way we can justify that kind of cost for a toy! We were kinda watching out for if we could nab it just before their final close for £80 or something as we know we'd never get it otherwise.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] What do you guys do with all your Nerf stuff, do you just move the furniture out of the way and have at it?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              @Asura What do you guys do with all your Nerf stuff, do you just move the furniture out of the way and have at it?
              We actually don't have very much. We literally just have the two guns.

Comment

The Cardiff one my brother works at (and first to be closing) sent everything back before putting on discounts. They made more selling the crap they got in instead of the regular stock.

Comment

It is such a sad day when the last store closes its doors for good. I’ve had many great memories as a kid and all those toys I’d get my parents to buy me back in the day...

112 :/

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                    It is such a sad day when the last store closes its doors for good.
                    Definitely!

I remember Hamleys opening in Birmingham and when they closed, Toys R Us moved in.
                    It was such a massive store, it was a real treat as a kid to go and visit.

It's always amazing when a trading Goliath has to call it quits.

I wonder how the likes of Smyths are getting on with their massive stores and The Entertainer which doesn't open on a Sunday?
                    Can they compete with the likes of Amazon?
                    It definitely feels like the high street is changing, with shops like Argos reducing their number of stores too.

Comment

That's the interesting thing. ToysRUs have repeatedly blamed online shopping and Amazon etc for their demise however Smyths has apparently seen growth of 400% in the last decade showing TRU were merely poorly managed into oblivion.

Comment

Smyths are generally a bit cheaper and have more special offers. And unlike TRU the Videogame dept won't have FIFA 14 on the shelf for £49.99 in 2018. TRU really did shaft themselves, sad as it is to see another store close its doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          That's the interesting thing. ToysRUs have repeatedly blamed online shopping and Amazon etc for their demise however Smyths has apparently seen growth of 400% in the last decade showing TRU were merely poorly managed into oblivion.
                          Personally, while I am somewhat sad to see another load of people lose their jobs, I feel that the business lost its way. They can blame online retailers etc. all they want, but that's been coming in for 20 years now, it's not like it should've been a surprise.

On this visit where we bought the Nerf gun, we had a walk around and the two of us had a bit of a reflection on how it felt these days compared to when we were kids. The ads back in the 90s prominently said "it's a magical place" in their jingle, and definitely as a kid, visiting Toys'R'Us wasn't just a shopping trip, but also an experience. They had a massive range of stuff, from sports gear to board games and everything in-between. They even (in the 16-bit era) had a pretty amazing videogames section where you could play things (similar to listening to new albums in HMV). They also seemed to have a lot of staff, with people in the bike section that were pretty up on their bikes, people in the videogames section who knew what games to recommend to parents... And of course, it was huge.

That last part has obviously changed as we've changed. The store probably does feel huge to kids even now. However, am I the only one who feels it was already a bit "derelict"? We went to buy some gifts at Christmas and it just feels lifeless. There were hardly any staff, for starters. They've complained about problems with shoplifting but when you have 3 staff to cover a store the size of a football pitch then you're going to have people try to do that. The videogames section was threadbare, with only a handful of titles and the 3 Amiibo nobody wants. The lego section seemed pretty well-stocked, I suppose, but that bike section I mentioned before was just full of super high-price electric kid's cars.

Plus the whole thing was lit with striplights bright enough to be unpleasant and the aisles were clearly still decked out in the decor with which it was built in ~1994. I mean we joke about GAME but I've been in some of their stores recently and at least they renovate them every 5 years or so when they start to look a bit tired.

It probably feels melancholy because it reminds you of Woolworths; in that they've just lost any kind of vision, like a massive cargo ship which takes a month to turn around, so it's just been drifting in a straight line for ten years. You look around and you wonder who it is for.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION], no I feel the same - it's so sterile in the last few years and sections seem to merge into each other rather than "omg I'm in the starwars section".

Comment

TRU was my 1st part time job during my college years.

Made some great friends who I'm still in contact with now. One of who is Harry's godfather.

Comment

Working...
                              X