No announcement yet.

Top 100 PlayStation games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added G Darius, Darius Gaiden, Tactics Ogre and Policenauts.
    Last edited by dataDave; 11-03-2018, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      allowed
      The only thing allowed is the D.

Comment

Ports are allowed, but I'm marking them in blue. I might mark games in red where superior versions exist elsewhere.

I don't really dig the fact that Resi 2 & 3 are better on the Dreamcast-era consoles. There's not a lot in it, and purists prefer the lower resolution for CRT play. If there's a significant improvement then fair play.

In retrospect It'd be interesting to see how much support the Saturn had besides ports. Most of what I'd played the most of can now be found on Steam/XBLA in HD.
        It just seems a bit miserly to start a Top 100 PS1 games in the retro section then dismiss a load of games available elsewhere, Double D.

If you own a PS1 and you're after some games to buy, you don't want to hear "The Saturn port is better".
        As long as the game is great on the platform you're buying for, what does it matter?

Also, dismissing games because it's better on MAME is unfair. Presumably most retro games can be emulated somewhere.
        This should be about which original games to get.

Likewise, loads of games are on Steam/Live/PS+, but you shouldn't omit them from a list of great games!

Look, it's your thread, but your ridiculously stringent entry rules means I can't put my official QC seal of approval on it.
        It's like a Crufts' agility course to get on your list!
        Last edited by QualityChimp; 12-03-2018, 08:27. Reason: ' moved.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          This should be about which original games to get.
          Precisely, which is why I'm listing ports in blue. Besides, someone would absolutely wish to know if a Saturn port is better, especially if they already own one or plan on getting one in the future.

Are the other Ace Combat games any good?

Comment

Put my PS1 games in a Google doc, might be worth sharing. Anyone said Kula World yet? Love that game.

Web word processing, spreadsheets and presentations

Comment

Destruction Derby guys?
              International Track and Field - We played this to death! Socks!
              Vib Ribbon!
              Bishi Bashi Special
              It's like Syphon Filter never happened in here.

Comment

I spot a disturbing absence of Bloody Roar. I'd accept 1 or 2, though I prefer 1.

It's one of the fighters which was never really bettered after the PS1. The sequels were reasonable games but the originals are the best.

I'd also express something similar for Soul Edge (though I see you have that). I'm not one of the people who thinks Edge was better than Calibur but I do think there's a bit of a discontinuity between them. The jump was large, meaning the first one still feels almost like a different series.

Comment

Maybe it's the nature of the software but with more time the PS1 moves further and further into the territory of being too old for me. Many of the games haven't aged well despite enjoying them at the time. Makes the list hard to think of, I'll have a ponder setting that aside though but I think most have been mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    Syphon Filter was a belter.
                    It was, forgot about that one.

Comment

[MENTION=13863]speedlolita[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]

Kula World and Bloody Roar 2 both incredible shouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        Maybe it's the nature of the software but with more time the PS1 moves further and further into the territory of being too old for me. Many of the games haven't aged well despite enjoying them at the time. Makes the list hard to think of, I'll have a ponder setting that aside though but I think most have been mentioned.
                        I find it tremendously variable. I still love playing Bloody Roar and Ridge Racer Type 4 from time-to-time.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                          Syphon Filter was a belter.
                          I find it hard to go back to. I had the second one which was an amazing game; my memories if it are definitely rose-tinted though.

I think it's because third-person action games, specifically, have come along so much. Like if you compare something like Tekken 3 and Tekken 7, they're different but the core of the experience is still pretty much the same. Conversely, Syphon Filter has to contend with the latest Splinter Cell and Batman Arkham Asylum.

Not that I wouldn't include it regardless on this list. I loved it at the time.
                          Last edited by Asura; 12-03-2018, 17:07.

Comment

Well I've been absolutely caning R-Type Delta and RayStorm.

They are both utterly immense games, better than many of those pretentiously soulless indie ****es you find on Steam.

No rose-tinted specs here as I've never played either of them before. Being able to manually shift your ship speed up and down on R-Type, rather than depending on power-ups, is genius.

Comment

I don't think Gradius Gaiden has been mentioned yet. PSX exclusive and arguably the best of the entire series.

I also like Gunner's Heaven. It's funny how at the time it was released, the 2D graphics were considered dated, but these days the graphics stand up much better than most of the 3D games that were around at the time.

I also really want to say Tony Hawk's 2, though I can't deny the DC and PC versions are slicker. I guess a very high percentage of the sales were on the PSX, and it's a series that always seems strongly linked to the Playstation, despite being released on other formats.
                              Last edited by ZipZap; 12-03-2018, 20:50.

Comment

Well I've been absolutely caning R-Type Delta and RayStorm.
                                I've been re-visiting the R-Type series recently. My goal is to 1CC the actual arcade machine at Arcade Club. So far I can get to stage 6! I'm practising on R-Types, which is actually a little harder due to the 60hz refresh rate (the coin-op runs at 55hz I think). R-Type Delta is the only one I've never played, so might well be next on my list.

Comment

Working...
                                X