Best option for MAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
    Can anything beat an OG Xbox with CoinOps? Would be interested to hear as well.
    The Wii's emulators have been beating xbox for a long time now. But you don't get the polished front end.
    Personally I would go for a PS3 slim, for the bluray drive, HDMI output and controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
      The Wii's emulators have been beating xbox for a long time now. But you don't get the polished front end.
      Personally I would go for a PS3 slim, for the bluray drive, HDMI output and controller.
      What resolution does the PS3 out put the emulators?

Comment

Yeah, what about a Pi3 vs. RetroArch (not fuss) on a Wii?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          What resolution does the PS3 out put the emulators?
          I'm new to PS3 emulation (only since 4.82cfw) so I don't know yet, but really all I'm bothered about is how well it upscales to my main hdtv.
          The Wii on the other hand can output 240p.

Comment

Got a very small Dell 7040 Micro (I5-6500T, 2.5Ghz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Windows 10 Pro)

Runs like a dream for all things emulation. And that thing is tiny-tiny!

Comment

Watching this thread with great interest, as things are I’d much prefer a single (small) set top box for under the living room tv to cover this stuff. Even I’ve reached the stage where I can’t be arsed running multiple consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Watching this thread with great interest, as things are I’d much prefer a single (small) set top box for under the living room tv to cover this stuff. Even I’ve reached the stage where I can’t be arsed running multiple consoles.
                Used Dell SFF or Dell Micro Factor PCs are your best bet Colin. You can find one around £150-200 mark and it runs pretty much anything apart from the very hungry GPU demanding stuff (Supermodel - model 3 emu - and such)

Comment

Thanks Lucas, my laziness will leave me looking for a fully preloaded solution though!

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                    Used Dell SFF or Dell Micro Factor PCs are your best bet Colin. You can find one around £150-200 mark and it runs pretty much anything apart from the very hungry GPU demanding stuff (Supermodel - model 3 emu - and such)
                    I had a quick look on eBay and they are much more expensive than that, where can you scoop them for that price?

Also anyone used an Nvidia Shield TV for MAME? It appears to have decent emulator support and has a decent bit of grunt as well as being tiny/silent.

Comment

For low resolution stuff as I've said you won't beat a Pi with RGB-Pi, I have a similar build PC to the Dell it's a HP And for low Res with crtemudriver it's a total ballache for anything other than Groovymame. However if LCD/OLED is your thing the smaller PCs are great. Retroarch with the correct filters does a decent job.
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                        Got a very small Dell 7040 Micro (I5-6500T, 2.5Ghz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Windows 10 Pro)

Runs like a dream for all things emulation. And that thing is tiny-tiny!

Mind if I ask how much that set you back?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Mind if I ask how much that set you back?
                          Bought it for £250 shipped from another forum. It's so small you can even embed it in one of those big Japanese style superguns.

Currently I have it at the back of a 21 inch 5:4 TFT with velcro straps and I only use it for emulation.

There are one or two guys over at the Jamma+ forums which are into IT I believe and they off-load many laptops, SFF PCs, HDDs and that kind of stuff from time to time.
                          Last edited by DaytimeDreamer; 12-03-2018, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                            If you are after accuracy, Its all about native resolution. MD/snes/cps1& 2/ Neo Geo all out put different resolutions and you’ll get all sorts of nasty artefacts/tearing (usually in the scrolling / text if it’s not right) A modded Wii does a superb job with retro arch in keeping the original resolutions (it lets you change them). Hook this up to a pvm / bvm and it’s a sight to behold. It’s got to be scart to crt. The only issue is that the mame emulation core is bit rubbish, but it’s superb (and I mean really superb) for neo, MD, snes cps1&2 (these are the only ones I have tried).
                            I'll second this. Retroarch on the Wii is perfect for Mega Drive/PCE/Neo/CPS stuff. I'm a SNES purist otherwise I'd list that too (SNES9X works well, bSNES Accuracy obviously will not). I can never get my favourite MAME games to work though, unfortunately.

It's also very easy to set up from a stock machine. Plus, you'll have the added bonus of it being a Gamecube/Wii player. I'm also a big fan of the Wii classic controller - I can play either Alex Kidd or F-Zero GX comfortably on that thing.
                            Last edited by dataDave; 12-03-2018, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              I'll second this. Retroarch on the Wii is perfect for Mega Drive/PCE/Neo/CPS stuff. I'm a SNES purist otherwise I'd list that too (SNES9X works well, bSNES Accuracy obviously will not). I can never get my favourite MAME games to work though, unfortunately.

It's also very easy to set up from a stock machine. Plus, you'll have the added bonus of it being a Gamecube/Wii player. I'm also a big fan of the Wii classic controller - I can play either Alex Kidd or F-Zero GX comfortably on that thing.
                              Originally posted by dataDave View Post

Definitely - I wondered for years why some stuff didn’t look quite right by emulation, by not outputting at native res. One example was metal slug; set it to 608x224 (304x224 the low horizontal res is doubled) and blam - perfect. Some Other neo stuff is 640x224 (320x224). Seeing cps 1&2 run at 384x224 is great and the scrolling backgrounds now look perfect. The only big pisser, is that you can’t play the heavy memory neo games, like sengoku 3 / prehistoric isle 2 etc on the Wii. The sfc stuff looks brilliant too. Games like final fight tough at 512x224 with real scan lines via RGB to the bvm (played with a Super Nintendo Wii pad) is about as real as it gets. I have to get some pics up.

That Wii classic pro controller is one of the most comfortable controllers ever. What’s happening to me dave? I’m turning into a ninety fanboy.....that’s it, I’m off to buy a switch...................(I’m not really) lol

Well GPIO to scart now ordered for the pi3 set up - coming from Spain I think so this set up should start to come together over the next few weeks

Comment

I managed to get Sengoku 3 working perfectly on Wii RetroArch although it doesn’t want anything to do with the rest of heavy rom hitters.

The Wii is my go to emulation station mainly because it gets one thing right...native screen resolution. You don’t need any fancy shaders on a CRT, it just looks right. The only shame is that RetroArch can only play a limited amount of arcade games, but the games it does run are pretty much perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X