Best option for MAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
    I managed to get Sengoku 3 working perfectly on Wii RetroArch although it doesn’t want anything to do with the rest of heavy rom hitters.

The Wii is my go to emulation station mainly because it gets one thing right...native screen resolution. You don’t need any fancy shaders on a CRT, it just looks right. The only shame is that RetroArch can only play a limited amount of arcade games, but the games it does run are pretty much perfect.
    Nice - i’ll Retry that one. What are the arcade game you use that run perfectly?

Also, do you know what options rotate the screen for vertical games?

Thanks
    Last edited by dvdx2; 13-03-2018, 10:28.

Comment

No worries. Well CPS1 & 2 run pretty much perfectly, apart from Forgotten Worlds which just hangs on the title screen. It really is like having a Capcom console for all their older titles. Neo Geo works great as well, certainly up to Sengoku 3. I got Blazing Star, Metal Slug and Shock Troopers all working flawlessly.

As for other JAMMA stuff I got working:

1945kIII
      Air Gallet
      Aliens
      Batrider
      Batsugun
      Battle Bakraid
      Battle Garegga
      Dodonpachi
      Dangun Feveron
      Donpachi
      ESPrade
      Denjin Makai II
      Gundhara
      Kingdom Grandprix
      Mazinger Z
      Strikers 1945
      Strikers 1945 II
      Sailor Moon
      Samurai Aces
      Shadow Warriors
      The Simpsons
      Sunset Riders
      Sorcer Striker
      Surprise Attack
      Sengoku Blade
      Thundercross 2
      Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
      Turtles In Time
      Tatsujin 2
      Vendetta
      X-Men

They all run pretty much spot on with only X-Men taking a hit with the slowed down music (it's perfect otherwise). The list is a bit threadbare compared to the thousands of games on MAME but the novelty of being able to play these games on a CRT in the correct resolution is worth the time it takes to get them to work.

As for the options for rotating the screen I can't help you there I'm afraid, RetroArch is a bit of a bast functionality wise, it's rather convoluted. I'm sure the option is there though.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
        No worries. Well CPS1 & 2 run pretty much perfectly, apart from Forgotten Worlds which just hangs on the title screen. It really is like having a Capcom console for all their older titles. Neo Geo works great as well, certainly up to Sengoku 3. I got Blazing Star, Metal Slug and Shock Troopers all working flawlessly.

As for other JAMMA stuff I got working:

1945kIII
        Air Gallet
        Aliens
        Batrider
        Batsugun
        Battle Bakraid
        Battle Garegga
        Dodonpachi
        Dangun Feveron
        Donpachi
        ESPrade
        Denjin Makai II
        Gundhara
        Kingdom Grandprix
        Mazinger Z
        Strikers 1945
        Strikers 1945 II
        Sailor Moon
        Samurai Aces
        Shadow Warriors
        The Simpsons
        Sunset Riders
        Sorcer Striker
        Surprise Attack
        Sengoku Blade
        Thundercross 2
        Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
        Turtles In Time
        Tatsujin 2
        Vendetta
        X-Men

They all run pretty much spot on with only X-Men taking a hit with the slowed down music (it's perfect otherwise). The list is a bit threadbare compared to the thousands of games on MAME but the novelty of being able to play these games on a CRT in the correct resolution is worth the time it takes to get them to work.

As for the options for rotating the screen I can't help you there I'm afraid, RetroArch is a bit of a bast functionality wise, it's rather convoluted. I'm sure the option is there though.
        Thanks - did they work through the mame 2000 core?. Also can I ask you what core / version you use for sengoku 3 ?

Cheers

Comment

I've been using the Final Burn Alpha core for all the games, including specific FBA CPS1 & 2 and Neo Geo cores. I haven't touched MAME 2000. I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I downloaded the latest build of RetroArch which is 1.7.1, that might have the compatibility needed for Sengoku 3.

Comment

OK, so I need to ask. I've got to put together a Pi3 setup (or similar) to put inside a converted arcade machine. It has USB sticks and both HDMI and VGA inputs to the monitor.

So is a Pi3 all I need? As it's sounding like that's the best option.

Currently the machine has a PS3 inside, which is not ideal, but works. That being said, it doesn't get used enough because we need a wider variety of games that are more conducive to having a quick go.
            Last edited by Asura; 14-03-2018, 12:37.

Comment

Have now pulled everything together and will hopefully get this up and running over Easter

Image 9 E2 E1159 9864 4 E2 B 986 B 412 B31 ACDF3 F hosted in ImgBB

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                Have now pulled everything together and will hopefully get this up and running over Easter

https://ibb.co/kaehVS
                Cool looking forward to the results need this myself struggling to get crt emu driver working on my set up, this looks a better (smaller) option than my desktop tower.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  OK, so I need to ask. I've got to put together a Pi3 setup (or similar) to put inside a converted arcade machine. It has USB sticks and both HDMI and VGA inputs to the monitor.

So is a Pi3 all I need? As it's sounding like that's the best option.

Currently the machine has a PS3 inside, which is not ideal, but works. That being said, it doesn't get used enough because we need a wider variety of games that are more conducive to having a quick go.
                  Is this my old Black Storm cab?
                  Last edited by _SD_; 28-03-2018, 23:35.

Comment

https://ibb.co/kaehVS
                    Great, I made an enquiry about the RGB-Pi cable and ready to pull the trigger based on your build so looking forward to seeing the results.

Comment

*joins the crowd of people looking over DVDX2's shoulder waiting for him to build this thing*

Comment

To be honest, other than playing bigger memory neogeo/mame arcade games (the later is primarily why i bought it), i can’t see it being that much better than a modded Wii, using retroarch to a crt. Once you set the correct resolution and remove the horrible bilinear filter, it really is hammer time. Could be proved wrong though.

Comment

To be honest, other than playing bigger memory neogeo/mame arcade games (the later is primarily why i bought it), i can’t see it being that much better than a modded Wii, using retroarch to a crt. Once you set the correct resolution and remove the horrible bilinear filter, it really is hammer time. Could be proved wrong though.
                          There are other practical improvements though. For instance, it's much smaller, and you could run HDMI out of it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            There are other practical improvements though. For instance, it's much smaller, and you could run HDMI out of it later.
                            True, but a Wii is pretty small too though (and really cheap to pick up). if you are looking for accuracy/best quality from emulation, i’d stay clear of hdmi out anyway.

Comment

Any PS3 MAME experts on here? I'm guessing that it should have enough grunt to outdo the old OG Xbox with CoinOps but can't find much in the way of info.

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
                                Great, I made an enquiry about the RGB-Pi cable and ready to pull the trigger based on your build so looking forward to seeing the results.
                                Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                *joins the crowd of people looking over DVDX2's shoulder waiting for him to build this thing*
                                As I've mentioned multiple times I've been running this set-up for a while. Just pick up the RGB-Pi and all is solved. It's less supported that the Pi2SCART, as becomes clear the more time you spend with it, but for my money it's far better simply due to the amount of time the creator spent on it in association with the Recalbox guys; he's working on a RGBPi to Jamma currently too. I was so impressed I wanted to put this in a Dino King, but have gone JAMMA with that now and will be using VirtVic's homemade Pi to JAMMA solution - same end result though. Buy one gents. I'll eventually get round to making a video on it. I've yet to get any PGM titles running on it yet though, although I'm pretty sure I know the reason for that, so no Demon Front for me at the mo, well via this anyhow.
                                3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
                                X