X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now up and running!

Impressions soon

Comment

Ok - I have been setting this up and tweaking it most of the day. And it’s a retroarch beater!

First thing you need to do is d/l the OS onto a micro SD card. This is flashed on to the card by a programme on the RGB-pi website. (I wasted a few hours trying to add roms / cores using USB, only to find out that this has to be done with the pi connected to your home network - more on that later)

Next is to physically setting the thing up. The scart lead attaches to the GPIO 40pin connector. It’s pretty fragile and you really need to be careful attaching it. I still need to buy a case, which will smarten it up a good bit as well as protecting the flimsy circuit board. Power lead just fits in the board (but there is no power off; the lead needs to be pulled/hard shutdown, but you can close the OS). Mem card goes in the flip side of the board (I used an 8gig) and USB pad goes in one of the USB ports. I hooked this up to a female bnc - scart (to a jvc pro monitor) and powered it on for testing.

Volia- the OS boots and you are greeted with an intro and free shareware roms in different console folders to sample the image quality is exceptional (more on that later). Soooo, now to get some ROMz on it.

You need to active the pi’s WiFi and put in your details, to connect it to your home network. I then used a laptop to ‘see’ the pi and that’s how games are transferred across. When you locate the ROM file it splits into all the emulatiors. All the cores see to be included. It’s just d/l and drag. The front end is very professional.

I started with a load of TOAPLAN games in the FBA file. It auto detects tate games but the controls aren’t adjusted for the rotation. This stumped me for abit, but it’s sorted now. Had a quick rattle on some of the tate shooters (fix eight and out zone). Totally blown away. Correct resolution, perfect sound and as accurate as I have ever seen. Next I tried some MD / sfc / and neogeo - all perfect too -accurate resolutions all auto configured. I couldn’t get some neo stuff working - I am assuming if the wrong type of rom for the core). Definitely some teething problems in front of me trying find the correct roms etc, but that’s to be expected

(For tate with rotated controls, You need to go in to another option to rotate everything),

I had abit of bother trying to configure the controller buttons and I still need to work out a few things, but it’s all very positive. You can usb sticks as well (it auto detected my 360 hori stick). There are also a ton of other features which I need to explore.

Now that it’s all come together, I am well pleased with it. (I am a bit of a noob with these things). Cost wise It all came in just under £90.

I think that’s not bad for the first day; I am going to add a load of stuff tomorrow, so anything note worthy, i’ll Post up.

Any specific questions, drop me a pm. Thanks to esc to 88 for his patience and support with a few things regarding set up.

[MENTION=8183]dyer60[/MENTION] - i’ll Give some more mame stuff a rattle over the next few days. Any thing specific you want me to test?
      Last edited by dvdx2; 31-03-2018, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
        Any PS3 MAME experts on here? I'm guessing that it should have enough grunt to outdo the old OG Xbox with CoinOps but can't find much in the way of info.
        I'd like to know this too, or on an RGH 360 - I dd put it on there previously but would rather have it on the CFW PS3 as that one isn't linked to my PSN account.

Comment

Worked into 4am on this and downloaded a core that runs ALL the model 3 games perfectly!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            Worked into 4am on this and downloaded a core that runs ALL the model 3 games perfectly!
            Surely an April Fools
            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
              I'd like to know this too, or on an RGH 360 - I dd put it on there previously but would rather have it on the CFW PS3 as that one isn't linked to my PSN account.
              I did look into the RGH 360 option and I believe that it simply didn't have anywhere near the level of homebrew emulator support the OG Xbox did sadly due to the fact that it needed hardware hacks and that the OGXB remained such a valid emulation platform for so long. If there was a way to get a proper HDMI signal out of it without spending a fortune I'd happily stick with it as its such a great experience, except for those S controllers feeling so meh nowadays.

Hopefully seeing as the PS3 can now be soft hacked it should lead to a boost in dev interest like this:

Check it out as @CaptainCPS-X has made a return to the PS3 Homebrew Community recently and the developer has some plans and a bit of a preview of an...

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Surely an April Fools
                Can’t fool you mate!

Comment

RGB-Pi looks like a great way to go. Got an old PC with a Radeon 9800 so gonna try CRT_EmuDriver into a cheap Extron, but it does look complicated!

Comment

Can’t fool you mate!
                    Originally posted by roachie View Post
                    RGB-Pi looks like a great way to go. Got an old PC with a Radeon 9800 so gonna try CRT_EmuDriver into a cheap Extron, but it does look complicated!
                    Video now up - pretty rough, but gives everyone an overview of this and short comparison with a Groovy MAME setup:
                    Mainly for the chaps at Bordersdown.net. A quick overview of the wonderful RGB-Pi and associated RecalBox build running arcade and console at native resoluti...

Last edited by QualityChimp; 04-04-2018, 14:31. Reason: Fixed video

Comment

Ok - I have been setting this up and tweaking it most of the day. And it’s a retroarch beater!

First thing you need to do is d/l the OS onto a micro SD card. This is flashed on to the card by a programme on the RGB-pi website. (I wasted a few hours trying to add roms / cores using USB, only to find out that this has to be done with the pi connected to your home network - more on that later)

Next is to physically setting the thing up. The scart lead attaches to the GPIO 40pin connector. It’s pretty fragile and you really need to be careful attaching it. I still need to buy a case, which will smarten it up a good bit as well as protecting the flimsy circuit board. Power lead just fits in the board (but there is no power off; the lead needs to be pulled/hard shutdown, but you can close the OS). Mem card goes in the flip side of the board (I used an 8gig) and USB pad goes in one of the USB ports. I hooked this up to a female bnc - scart (to a jvc pro monitor) and powered it on for testing.

Volia- the OS boots and you are greeted with an intro and free shareware roms in different console folders to sample the image quality is exceptional (more on that later). Soooo, now to get some ROMz on it.

You need to active the pi’s WiFi and put in your details, to connect it to your home network. I then used a laptop to ‘see’ the pi and that’s how games are transferred across. When you locate the ROM file it splits into all the emulatiors. All the cores see to be included. It’s just d/l and drag. The front end is very professional.

I started with a load of TOAPLAN games in the FBA file. It auto detects tate games but the controls aren’t adjusted for the rotation. This stumped me for abit, but it’s sorted now. Had a quick rattle on some of the tate shooters (fix eight and out zone). Totally blown away. Correct resolution, perfect sound and as accurate as I have ever seen. Next I tried some MD / sfc / and neogeo - all perfect too -accurate resolutions all auto configured. I couldn’t get some neo stuff working - I am assuming if the wrong type of rom for the core). Definitely some teething problems in front of me trying find the correct roms etc, but that’s to be expected

(For tate with rotated controls, You need to go in to another option to rotate everything),

I had abit of bother trying to configure the controller buttons and I still need to work out a few things, but it’s all very positive. You can usb sticks as well (it auto detected my 360 hori stick). There are also a ton of other features which I need to explore.

Now that it’s all come together, I am well pleased with it. (I am a bit of a noob with these things). Cost wise It all came in just under £90.

I think that’s not bad for the first day; I am going to add a load of stuff tomorrow, so anything note worthy, i’ll Post up.

Any specific questions, drop me a pm. Thanks to esc to 88 for his patience and support with a few things regarding set up.

@dyer60 - i’ll Give some more mame stuff a rattle over the next few days. Any thing specific you want me to test?
                      Good work, I would have said any higher end model 2/3 stuff to put it through its paces or shooters that use random resolutions .
                      [MENTION=4553]Escape-To-88[/MENTION] Just watched the vid, brilliant! Thank you that’s what I needed. It’s just nice to have some who is trusted to confirm the information out there, you and dvdx2 have sold this to me!

Now is there anyone who wants to build me one of these things as it’s beyond my patience and im bloody lazy?!?!!
                      Last edited by dyer60; 01-04-2018, 19:31.

Comment

I think I'm going to have to pick up one of the prebuilt ones that are on eBay, great vid [MENTION=4553]Escape-To-88[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          I think I'm going to have to pick up one of the prebuilt ones that are on eBay, great vid @Escape-To-88
                          Godd stuff lads, glad it helped! [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION], assume the pre-built are for modern tellies?

Comment

They are mate. I'm going to have one for the living room. Is there a specific build I should check sellers have installed since using hdmi?

Comment

HDMI is standard bud, so anything would be good. In most cases they'll use Retro Pie, which is superior (I think) to Recalbox on an HD set. I'm not sure if any of the scanline filters etc. work, in case you wanted that, but I'd guess you might be running it through an OSCC potentially?

Comment

I do have an OSSC, but I thought an easy option would be to simply use one of those HDMI scanline generators, they're only about £25 on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                                X