User Tag List

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    S.Mouse elbow slapper...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lord Barker BK Wii Code: 3DS: 5000-2698-8757
    There is zero lag. I've played PCBs and Pi emulation in the same model cabs next to one another, so have been part of like for like comparisons. I've no idea what 'lag' people are finding, unless they are using wireless controllers.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Quote Originally Posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
    There is zero lag. I've played PCBs and Pi emulation in the same model cabs next to one another, so have been part of like for like comparisons. I've no idea what 'lag' people are finding, unless they are using wireless controllers.
    Everything has lag, it depends how much. Even a real SNES going into a CRT has two or three frames depending on the game. All software emulation, other than shmup/groovymame I mentioned, factors in at the very least an additional frame. If you could somehow interface one button to both of your cabinets there would be a delay on the Pi side. Read the article I linked to, it's easily the most comprehensive study on the subject.

Anything more than 80ms (around five frames) I find to be easily noticeable, although I couldn't tell the difference between either revision of the SFIV:AE Vewlix cabs (2/3 frames for the original blue/black bezel cabs, 1/2 frames for the later revision red bezel). People used to queue for the red ones though which I thought was a bit crazy.
    Last edited by dataDave; 16-04-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dataDave View Post
    Everything has lag, it depends how much. Even a real SNES going into a CRT has two or three frames depending on the game. All software emulation, other than shmup/groovymame I mentioned, factors in at the very least an additional frame. If you could somehow interface one button to both of your cabinets there would be a delay on the Pi side. Read the article I linked to, it's easily the most comprehensive study on the subject.

Anything more than 80ms (around five frames) I find to be easily noticeable, although I couldn't tell the difference between either revision of the SFIV:AE Vewlix cabs (2/3 frames for the original blue/black bezel cabs, 1/2 frames for the later revision red bezel). People used to queue for the red ones though which I thought was a bit crazy.
    You are venturing into levels of anality, even the most hardcore gamer would scratch their head at , mate. If I can play something like arkanoid well with a dpad, without an analogue paddle, lag isn’t an issue with the pi to scart.

I also hit a perfect 40 in galagas challenging stage; not easy if you are wading through lag treacle...

Quote Originally Posted by dataDave View Post

A frame of lag is 16.6ms. A CRT has about 0.5 to 1ms of lag so 1/16 of a frame max. You can consider a CRT absolutely lag free. Where did you get this info?

I can tell the difference between 10ms and 20ms of input lag. If you play fighting games and do combos etc you would be dropping combos all day with 20ms of lag.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
    A frame of lag is 16.6ms. A CRT has about 0.5 to 1ms of lag so 1/16 of a frame max. You can consider a CRT absolutely lag free. Where did you get this info?
    Everyone knows that, I'm disputing the video source. The Mario games have varying degrees of lag coded into them.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-inp...stigation/4407

Indeed - one or two frames is sticky ground for fighting games. My old Toshiba LCD had something like 55ms of lag which made the basketball bonus stage on XBLA 3S a mess. For these things it's mostly a case of native hardware or go home.

My RetroArch setup is an absolute best case scenario at one additional frame of input latency for all cores (the important ones, anyway). It's acceptable. However I'm seeing reports of between five and seven frames for the Pi3 which is absolutely not acceptable. I'd like to see some tests on 68000 based emulation as that tends to play well across mostly every hardware config that it's thrown on.
    Last edited by dataDave; 16-04-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Ah, ok. You're talking about input lag built into the game's engine. Completely different topic, I get ya.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
    Ah, ok. You're talking about input lag built into the game's engine. Completely different topic, I get ya.
    ...and of course the unavoidable input latency provided by the emulation layer (which varies across emu cores and hardware configs).

There's a surprising amount of drama in those findings I linked to. The same guy who does the testing managed to shave a whole frame off of the SNES9X and bSNES cores with some snooping around in the video refresh code, yet when brought to Higan himself he brushed it off because of some 'authenticity' reasoning - it's almost as if he was jealous that some third-party managed to pull off something he'd let slip by.

Regardless, RetroArch versions of SNES9X and bSNES are equipped with this enhancement.

Hey all, so Im still waiting on my RGB-Pi stuff.

A question regarding PSX folder structure, what formats work? Can games stay within archives?

Cheers,
    Dan.

S.Mouse elbow slapper...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lord Barker BK Wii Code: 3DS: 5000-2698-8757
    Quote Originally Posted by redstar_dan View Post
    Hey all, so Im still waiting on my RGB-Pi stuff.

A question regarding PSX folder structure, what formats work? Can games stay within archives?

Cheers,
    Dan.
    .bin and .cue mate. You can find convertors on the internet should you need them. I would link one, but suffering with bronchitis at the mo so don't feel like searching
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129