No announcement yet.

Best option for MAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it easy enough to get a Wiimote + Classic Controller connected via. the Pi Bluetooth? I'll want a wired USB solution eventually but I need to be real stealthy with my expenditure.

Comment

I would also be really interested in how long the cable takes to arrive, as I am still waiting on mine.
      Last edited by redstar_dan; 15-04-2018, 17:38.

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
        I would also be really interested in how long the cable takes to arrive, as I am still waiting on mine.
        It’s from Spain, so it could take up to a week (he uses really cheap postage, but only charges £2). Think mine took about 6 days

Comment

Just found my Windows / Android dual boot Chuwi Hi8 tablet with Mame4Droid on it and more games than I'll ever be able to play: CPS2, Neo Geo and random others like Elevator Action Returns ()

Needs some tweaking but the majority of games run really well considering the tech it's being emulated on.

Comment

Just done a little bit of research and it seems that there's still quite a bit of lag associated with the Pi option, regardless of running through a RetroTINK RGB hat into a CRT or not. I've got millions of things sitting here neglected in the meanwhile, so I'm just going to sit things out until a Shmupmame solution for everything surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Just done a little bit of research and it seems that there's still quite a bit of lag associated with the Pi option, regardless of running through a RetroTINK RGB hat into a CRT or not. I've got millions of things sitting here neglected in the meanwhile, so I'm just going to sit things out until a Shmupmame solution for everything surfaces.
              Not sure where you got that from, but I haven’t noticed any lag on my RGB-pi set using a buffalo pad or neo x stick. Full arcade perfect experience on this set up.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                Not sure where you got that from, but I haven’t noticed any lag on my RGB-pi set using a buffalo pad or neo x stick. Full arcade perfect experience on this set up.
                Tip: Start reading this post at “UPDATE June 17th 2016” below and then continue with the newer updates. UPDATE January 3rd 2018: Tests of SNES Classic Mini controller connected to PC using Raphnet’s low-latency USB adapter: An input lag investigation UPDATE June 18th 2017: Additional tests showing effect on input lag from using shaders and from the new raw input driver : An input lag investigation UPDATE May 2nd 2017: Input lag on real SNES console on a CRT TV: An input lag investigation U...

Do you have a GoPro or anything capable of filming 120fps/slow motion? You'd be able to accurately measure how many frames of input latency there are vs. native hardware. At seven frames of input latency that means you're waiting a 10th of a second for a response. Easily noticeable if you're coming directly from native hardware, and especially off-putting for playing 1cc Final Fight effectively.

Comment

https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-inp...stigation/4407

Do you have a GoPro or anything capable of filming 120fps/slow motion? You'd be able to accurately measure how many frames of input latency there are vs. native hardware. At seven frames of input latency that means you're waiting a 10th of a second for a response. Easily noticeable if you're coming directly from native hardware, and especially off-putting for playing 1cc Final Fight effectively.
                  Sorry, I don’t mate

I just tried a few bullet hell style shooters where accurate control is paramount and if there is lag is unnoticeable. The button reacts to the on screen action the way it should. Fight fight plays the way I remember too; again if the lag is there, i can’t detect it, but I haven’t played the pcb since the 90’s. It’s certainly the best emulation solution I have seen and played to date though. Continually blown away every time it’s switched on!

Comment

Anyone putting heat sinks on their pi? I have overclocked it but it’s still running fairly cool

Comment

Some nice neo action tonight!

Free image hosting and sharing service, upload pictures, photo host. Offers integration solutions for uploading images to forums.

Free image hosting and sharing service, upload pictures, photo host. Offers integration solutions for uploading images to forums.

Comment

There is zero lag. I've played PCBs and Pi emulation in the same model cabs next to one another, so have been part of like for like comparisons. I've no idea what 'lag' people are finding, unless they are using wireless controllers.
                        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                          There is zero lag. I've played PCBs and Pi emulation in the same model cabs next to one another, so have been part of like for like comparisons. I've no idea what 'lag' people are finding, unless they are using wireless controllers.
                          Everything has lag, it depends how much. Even a real SNES going into a CRT has two or three frames depending on the game. All software emulation, other than shmup/groovymame I mentioned, factors in at the very least an additional frame. If you could somehow interface one button to both of your cabinets there would be a delay on the Pi side. Read the article I linked to, it's easily the most comprehensive study on the subject.

Anything more than 80ms (around five frames) I find to be easily noticeable, although I couldn't tell the difference between either revision of the SFIV:AE Vewlix cabs (2/3 frames for the original blue/black bezel cabs, 1/2 frames for the later revision red bezel). People used to queue for the red ones though which I thought was a bit crazy.
                          Last edited by dataDave; 16-04-2018, 21:42.

Comment

Everything has lag, it depends how much. Even a real SNES going into a CRT has two or three frames depending on the game. All software emulation, other than shmup/groovymame I mentioned, factors in at the very least an additional frame. If you could somehow interface one button to both of your cabinets there would be a delay on the Pi side. Read the article I linked to, it's easily the most comprehensive study on the subject.

Anything more than 80ms (around five frames) I find to be easily noticeable, although I couldn't tell the difference between either revision of the SFIV:AE Vewlix cabs (2/3 frames for the original blue/black bezel cabs, 1/2 frames for the later revision red bezel). People used to queue for the red ones though which I thought was a bit crazy.
                            You are venturing into levels of anality, even the most hardcore gamer would scratch their head at , mate. If I can play something like arkanoid well with a dpad, without an analogue paddle, lag isn’t an issue with the pi to scart.

Comment

I also hit a perfect 40 in galagas challenging stage; not easy if you are wading through lag treacle...

Comment

A frame of lag is 16.6ms. A CRT has about 0.5 to 1ms of lag so 1/16 of a frame max. You can consider a CRT absolutely lag free. Where did you get this info?

I can tell the difference between 10ms and 20ms of input lag. If you play fighting games and do combos etc you would be dropping combos all day with 20ms of lag.

Comment

Working...
                                X