No announcement yet.

Best option for MAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume the GPIO scart would just work for connectivity, using a nightly/stable build? Without using the custom rgb-pi image.

Comment

I'm not sure how to go about the various RGB solutions and their custom images. I'm looking primarily at RetroTink and yes, you can output using anything as long as you fix the config. You don't have to use his images. I've not researched the others.

I just tried the latest nightly on the Wii. It's terrible. It doesn't have anywhere near enough power. Sonic 1 was about the only game that worked fine. There's really a big difference when you go back to having it switched off, for me at least.

Comment

Do you have a retrotink Dave?

Comment

Not yet. I'm still on the fence about spending money on emulation.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            Yes. Just go to their nightlies page and grab the Pi version.

My advice is to use the nightly builds for testing and wait for the stable release before you get serious. The n3DS is absolutely killing it, but I think I may be getting some sound issues. Not had the chance to sit down with it yet.
            When you say the n3DS is killing it, in what sense? I've been running retroarch on both of my new 3DS' I put cfw on and it's generally pretty good, but nowhere need outstanding.
            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
              When you say the n3DS is killing it, in what sense? I've been running retroarch on both of my new 3DS' I put cfw on and it's generally pretty good, but nowhere need outstanding.
              As in it's really good.

However, I'm noticing some funny artifacts when playing, like some kind of frame skip when the action gets going. Final Fight brings in some funny game glitches too.

As a further test I tried Sonic 2 and bounced between some springs. There's this weird jolt as you bounce back off of the spring, like some kind of screen tear or frame skip - and there seems to be some weird ground clipping when you jump around. I disabled the setting and things went back to normal.

(PC) I just discovered AntiMicro, which reduces controller latency by increasing the polling. I just set my Switch Pro controller to 1ms and it made an immediate difference. Disabling desktop composition in Win7 system settings also makes an improvement.

Comment

I've been running emulation in both my new 3DS' for a while and I'd say I'd say it's fairly decent, yeah. I thought you were saying it was superior to a Pi, for example. It struggles with the SuperFx games unsurprisingly.

Comment

Hey guys, what’s the correct folder structure for roms on a usb? I can’t get it to find them. Ta

Comment

I’ve tried ‘console name’ folders on the root of usb, (no idea the correct folder naming for said console) and I’ve tried roms/‘console name’ folders, to no avail

Comment

I think i figured it out. Winning ...

Comment

Anyone fans of PGM IGS games? I am loving a load of their stuff on the pi. Pretty much everything 100% working too (even the cave shooters). What an awesome bit of kit!

Comment

So I have had my RGB-Pi about a month now and as @dvdx2 says it really is an awesome bit of kit. I use mine mainly for MAME and FBA games.

Here are my novice views: The set up of the actual machine was easy, plugged the RGB cable into the GPIO slot, popped the Pi in a case and plugged in the other cables. My biggest challenge was the SD card, I downloaded the image from the website (http://www.rgb-pi.com/) but forgot to enlarge the card before flashing it, this meant I lost some space to download ROMS.

The next issue was finding ROMS. Thankfully a few guys here sent me some links for downloads. To create additional storage I plugged a USB stick into one of the ports and this gave me a huge amount of storage. It was easy enough to mount the folders from the USB utility in the menu, this copied all the folders I needed for ROMS so all I had to do was copy them across to the relevant folders.

As soon as I managed to download the correct ROMS I then needed to get them across the PI, this initially was a ball ache as I thought I could just copy them to the stick but sadly "no" I had to do it via a network connection, not a major deal, just more fiddly with my home set up.

Sound is ok, I have a connection from the headphone jack into an amp and speakers.

I now have a lovely list of shooters and beat em ups, which I play most evenings!!

All in all once you have your head around the process it is all very easy. The picture via by CRT TV is amazing (better than Coin Ops via my OG XBOX) and there are plenty of screen options for SHMUPS.

Recommended to anyone who wants this sort of arcade experience via an old school screen. Next step is to grab a decent size PVM.

Here are a few pics for your pleasure:

Last edited by dyer60; 07-05-2018, 17:38.

Comment

I predicted about an hour to set up the front-end and software side as I wanted it...took a day and a half
                            But finally enjoying some MAME on this, oh and some of the lovely arcadey console titles on this...why is Wild Guns infinitely easier on this, than on a Super Famicom pad!?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Escape-To-88; 07-05-2018, 18:02.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                                Beautiful
                                Still a fair bit to do aesthetically, but it's getting there now

Comment

Working...
                                X