Best option for MAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best option for MAME?

My original XBOX has died and I am missing Coin-ops!

What would you recommend to replace it? Should I go down down the mini PC route? Pi? or something else?

(I have both a decent CRT and LCD as a display).

Thanks in advance.

Can anything beat an OG Xbox with CoinOps? Would be interested to hear as well.

Comment

If all else fails, hit me up, I can sort you out a replacement

Comment

If you have a CRT, go with a Pi3 and pick up an RGB-Pi (rather than a Pi2SCART). It displays everything in pretty much pixel perfect arcade/console resolution using a custom Recalbox image which switches resolutions accurately on the fly. You'll never go back to an Xbox after this in action '
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          If you have a CRT, go with a Pi3 and pick up an RGB-Pi (rather than a Pi2SCART). It displays everything in pretty much pixel perfect arcade/console resolution using a custom Recalbox image which switches resolutions accurately on the fly. You'll never go back to an Xbox after this in action '
          You sure? The main draw of the Xbox was a) how well it emulated a vast range of platforms and b) next to zero lag. I'm not sure about the former on Pi but the lag is apparently part and parcel of its architecture due to how it process and refreshes updates and that has always put me off this device.

Looking around it appears something like a small PC would be the best with a lot of arcade MAMErs using a Mac Mini - which is a bit of a surprise as I didn't know it could handle that without a proper graphics card?

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
            You sure? The main draw of the Xbox was a) how well it emulated a vast range of platforms and b) next to zero lag. I'm not sure about the former on Pi but the lag is apparently part and parcel of its architecture due to how it process and refreshes updates and that has always put me off this device.

Looking around it appears something like a small PC would be the best with a lot of arcade MAMErs using a Mac Mini - which is a bit of a surprise as I didn't know it could handle that without a proper graphics card?
            A modern central processor will have a capable (to some degree) graphics processor integrated now. Multiple times faster than the archaic Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              A modern central processor will have a capable (to some degree) graphics processor integrated now. Multiple times faster than the archaic Xbox.
              Thanks, I'll take a look into it then as that would be the most elegant solution given that all emulators are at their best on a computer/PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Man the picture on that RGB-Pi looks great. Seems Like they are a little tricky to get hold of. Also I’m not sure about the “lag” I would want something as close to original as possible.

Anyone got an idea or own a modern emulator PC? What the picture output like?

Comment

If you are after accuracy, Its all about native resolution. MD/snes/cps1& 2/ Neo Geo all out put different resolutions and you’ll get all sorts of nasty artefacts/tearing (usually in the scrolling / text if it’s not right) A modded Wii does a superb job with retro arch in keeping the original resolutions (it lets you change them). Hook this up to a pvm / bvm and it’s a sight to behold. It’s got to be scart to crt. The only issue is that the mame emulation core is bit rubbish, but it’s superb (and I mean really superb) for neo, MD, snes cps1&2 (these are the only ones I have tried).

Arcade games also use different natives resolutions so if you hook any of these using a modded Xbox via scart, the best you will get is 480i (640x480i) which everything scales to. It’s a really bad option for emulation accuracy and looks rubbish. For years I used Xbox emulation @ 480p with an SLG 3000 and that looks brilliant to a crt vga monitor (proving the screen is resized accurately to the native res), but retro arch to the bvm, pips it.

I will be starting to build a RGB-pi / pi3 this week when I get the parts so I’ll do a bit of a blog on the progress. What’s the lag you heard about? Are you sure that’s when using GPIO to scart from the pi and not using hdmi?

Comment

[MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION] take a peek at this about the lag:

this is fantastic! :) great job! Do we know why Dispmanx is one frame faster than OpenGL on the Raspberry Pi? vanafel (the person who wrote the retraorch d...

This monitor supposedly has almost no input lag (~1 ms) The current best monitors are around 9ms in the input lag department so i don’t think that one will be anywhere near 1ms.

Plus every single Pi thread I've ever seen always has had a few comments on lag and or having to faff on with settings to get it to act right and both are a no no for me.

Comment

[MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION] take a peek at this about the lag:

this is fantastic! :) great job! Do we know why Dispmanx is one frame faster than OpenGL on the Raspberry Pi? vanafel (the person who wrote the retraorch d...

This monitor supposedly has almost no input lag (~1 ms) The current best monitors are around 9ms in the input lag department so i don’t think that one will be anywhere near 1ms.

Plus every single Pi thread I've ever seen always has had a few comments on lag and or having to faff on with settings to get it to act right and both are a no no for me.
                      Cheers - but I am looking at a GPIO to scart to crt (I only skimmed those links, but they all seem to be using hdmi to lcd monitors with shaders etc which gives lag)

ESc to 88, can you comment on lag when using a RGB-pi to crt?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        If you are after accuracy, Its all about native resolution. MD/snes/cps1& 2/ Neo Geo all out put different resolutions and you’ll get all sorts of nasty artefacts/tearing (usually in the scrolling / text if it’s not right) A modded Wii does a superb job with retro arch in keeping the original resolutions (it lets you change them). Hook this up to a pvm / bvm and it’s a sight to behold. It’s got to be scart to crt. The only issue is that the mame emulation core is bit rubbish, but it’s superb (and I mean really superb) for neo, MD, snes cps1&2 (these are the only ones I have tried).

Arcade games also use different natives resolutions so if you hook any of these using a modded Xbox via scart, the best you will get is 480i (640x480i) which everything scales to. It’s a really bad option for emulation accuracy and looks rubbish. For years I used Xbox emulation @ 480p with an SLG 3000 and that looks brilliant to a crt vga monitor (proving the screen is resized accurately to the native res), but retro arch to the bvm, pips it.

I will be starting to build a RGB-pi / pi3 this week when I get the parts so I’ll do a bit of a blog on the progress. What’s the lag you heard about? Are you sure that’s when using GPIO to scart from the pi and not using hdmi?
                        Thats great information. I should have realised when it came to outputs/resolution and display you would be the man!

I would be really keen to find out how the build goes and how the Pi3 performs, this is looking favourite for me at the minute. I really only want it for MAME and arcade games (well and maybe PCE) as I have the other consoles in my set up.

Make sure you link to the blog here.

cheers

Comment

The new Ryzen processors with built in graphics seem ideal for a budget emulator box.

Comment

Yes. I have Groovymame set up too and I infinitely prefer the Pi. I have run an Xbox, PC GM and Pi side-by-side, I'd take a Pi3 on a CRT over all of them. Most people haven't heard of the RGB-PI lead or the custom Recalbox build you can use with it, it's made by one chap in Spain (and most of the info is not in English). Maybe that's why it works so well. I had a chat with him before buying and he just does it for fun in his spare time, so took his time to get it right. He also has included 50/60hz option settings for all roms on boot. Also the SNES emulator on the Xbox runs at 240p, everything else looks naff in 480i on a PVM/BVM. I'll make a video of the RGB-PI this week to demo. Also, zero lag. One more interesting thing, Midway games run at the refresh rate of 50-55hz, and at an odd height of 256 pixels, if using certain PVMs/BVMs they allow individual settings for 50/60hz. Because it reads Midway games as a 50hz setting you can have the correct height for that to display the full image and a separate setting for 240/224 height games so everything scales correctly. I couldn't get anything else to do that, not even Groovymame. Additionally because it changes refresh rates on the fly along with resolution everything runs silky smooth.
                            Last edited by Escape-To-88; 11-03-2018, 22:37.
                            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

This might just seal the deal!

Would be great to see the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X