Best PS1 and PS2 image on a 1080p display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
    The sound just comes out of the telly speakers, it’s for my man cave and it’s not massive. This wouldn’t work then I guess?
    Gaming man cave is incomplete if you have more than an inch of free space

Comment

It is actually wall to wall at the moment, I’ll post picture when I get a chance!

Comment

Ooof looked at the price- £160 for a 1.6 OSSC

Comment

Bear in mind that you can use it with all your retro systems

Comment

Yeah, a CRT is better.

Comment

Don’t you know it’s all about that space (no trouble)

Comment

OSSC or CRT.

Won't there be even more additional lag with the PS3 and PS4 considering they're software emulating the BC?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Won't there be even more additional lag with the PS3 and PS4 considering they're software emulating the BC?
                  Not inherently, no. Emulators don't necessarily have any more lag than native games.

I mean the PS3/4's emulation might have lag, but there's no reason to think that until you try it.

Comment

I'd definitely say component for PS2. Had a third party one which was dreadful, but the official one is so much better.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but one advantage of the Framemeister over the OSSC when it comes to 480i is that the Framemeister does very sharp deinterlacing of the image, where as the OSSC just displays the interlaced image as a CRT would, half of the lines at any one time. The Framemeister does add approx 20ms of lag, although that's nothing compared with the PS3 emulating the PS2, which I believe is a minimum of 3 frames. The Framemeister also costs more than the OSSC.

Of course whether you prefer a sharper image is down to personal preference. I know some people like to blur the PS2 image a bit to make the jaggies softer.

Whatever expensive scalers you throw at it, I do think the PS2 benefits from a CRT, even more so than 8/16 bit machines do.

If you have a spare hour, this is a very comprehensive guide to getting the best picture from the PS2.

Get the Best Picture from your PlayStation 2! The PS2 was designed very specifically for the CRTs of its day. How does it look on CRTs vs. HDTVs, and what ar...
                      Last edited by ZipZap; 16-03-2018, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Not inherently, no. Emulators don't necessarily have any more lag than native games.
                        Software emulation certainly always comes with lag, only under very rare exceptions (ShmupMAME?) is this different.

For RPGs and stuff that's fine, but if you're going to be playing shmups, fighters and precision platformers it could be an issue.

Comment

What sort of lag? Why is software emulation able to run the game engine at full speed, at original frame rate etc. but always has lag somewhere in the pipeline?

Comment

erm, is it sacrilegious to suggest retroarch/PCSX2. Assuming you have a gaming capable system - you can res the games up and they'll look and play great...

Comment

Originally posted by UKGamer View Post
                              erm, is it sacrilegious to suggest retroarch/PCSX2. Assuming you have a gaming capable system - you can res the games up and they'll look and play great...
                              Not a bad idea per se, but I didn’t spend loads of cash on a hefty PS1 and 2 collection to emulate them- the feel of original hardware is what it’s about

Comment

Preach!

Comment

Working...
                                X