Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best PS1 and PS2 image on a 1080p display

What’s my options here folks?

Want my Collection to look better on a 40” led 1080p display.

I hear about XRGB and frameister and such- what can I get to help? Links and prices and advice/guides would gladly be welcomed!

Cheers all!

People will probably have better answers here but if you want a quick fix which might improve your experience for PS2, get one of these cables:

It's certainly not "HD" but I found this was a huge improvement on my particular television, and cost less than a fiver. You just have to change the setting on the PS2 when you make the switch.

Comment

A PS3 has you covered for PSone. And it would appear that a cfw PS4 can play PS2 rather well...

Comment

A cfw ps3 is ample. Most of the ps2 emulation is quite good as is the ps1.

Comment

A PS3 doesn't even output the correct PS1 resolution. lol

PS3 or PS4 are bad shouts IMO.

Get a component cable, next step would be a scaler like the OSSC. Fantastic results with the one I own and no latency from the scaler. Doesn't beat a CRT but for original hardware it doesn't get much better.
          Last edited by speedlolita; 15-03-2018, 08:26.

Comment

Some clarification.

1) I already use a component cable- not the best quality, it’s a GAME brand one, from back when they did decent cables however.

2) I use a modded PS2 slim currently to play IS and UK titles.

When I talk about the best picture, I’m concerned about a a lot of PS1 titles looking... wrong. Like too sharp, or the lack of scan lines making it look ... wrong for the lack of better knowledge. What’s my best option without a CRT?

Comment

I would honestly say OSSC.

Comment

What is that, how does it work, what do I do/have to plug in, how much does it cost and where do I buy one

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  I would honestly say OSSC.
                  100% agree with this ^

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                  What is that, how does it work, what do I do/have to plug in, how much does it cost and where do I buy one
                  Like a easy to use lag free framemeister/XRGB plug in your scart or component cable into it, then your HDMI cable from the OSSC to the TV.

Comment

I have the old version for sale, which could be handy to you if your sound solution is seperate from your TV.

More than welcome to sample it if you're interested in one. PlayStation games tend to be 240p (OSSC lets you scale 2x, 3x, 4x and even 5x though that will overscan on a 1080p set) and look brilliant with the scaling options given, and yes you can add scanlines too.

To be frank, the 480i handling (PS2 titles largely) is pretty naff comparatively.

No frame buffer is why it beats out the XRGB products for me, can't feel any latency.
                    Last edited by speedlolita; 15-03-2018, 10:09.

Comment

Some clarification.

1) I already use a component cable- not the best quality, it’s a GAME brand one, from back when they did decent cables however.

2) I use a modded PS2 slim currently to play IS and UK titles.

When I talk about the best picture, I’m concerned about a a lot of PS1 titles looking... wrong. Like too sharp, or the lack of scan lines making it look ... wrong for the lack of better knowledge. What’s my best option without a CRT?
                      I would start by upgrading that component cable - bad cross talk on the cheapos - you could enable 480p+ on some ps2 games that will make things looks abit better on an lcd. You aren’t going to get scanlines unless you use with a upscaler/line doubler with the function built in. 480i is a nasty video signal to start with - I think that’s what a ps3 outputs for ps1 games, so i’d Stay well clear if you are looking for accuracy. I’d also check your sharpness control on your tv. Too low and if will be blury; too high and it will cause all sorts of horrible artifacts to the image.

The next upgrade could to improving pic quality to an lcd/led is a RGB scart to a framemeister / ossc then to hdmi. Just don’t expect any thing other than 240p to look that hot.

You seem reluctant to get a crt, but even a small 14” consumer trinitron (or if possible a pvm / bvm) to RGB, piddles on any of the above for quality. It would seriously work wonders for what you are trying to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        I have the old version for sale, which could be handy to you if your sound solution is seperate from your TV.

More than welcome to sample it if you're interested in one. PlayStation games tend to be 240p (OSSC lets you scale 2x, 3x, 4x and even 5x though that will overscan on a 1080p set) and look brilliant with the scaling options given, and yes you can add scanlines too.

To be frank, the 480i handling (PS2 titles largely) is pretty naff comparatively.

No frame buffer is why it beats out the XRGB products for me, can't feel any latency.
                        The sound just comes out of the telly speakers, it’s for my man cave and it’s not massive. This wouldn’t work then I guess?

Comment

A 1.6 would be a better option as it does sound via HDMI. My 1.5 has DVI and 3.5mm phono for sound.

Comment

Mileage may vary with the scaling - guaranteed x2 scaling. x3, x4 and x5 depend on your TV set.

I could go up to x3 with a VP50 DVDO in my chain.

x2 still looks fantastic mind you!

Comment

Waka Up Scan Converter into a VGA to HDMI converter.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X