Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    I very rarely used BC on any other console. What would impress me is if the PS5 had some way of ramping up the ps4 graphics on the fly.
    It means a lot to me; I'm much more likely to adopt early if this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      lolAMD
      I thought the Jaguar was Atari?

Comment

Another fan of backwards compatibility here. I haven't used it much up until the Xbox One X. But the ability to play your Xbox 360/OG Xbox library (or some of) has been a huge boon. Just seeing enhanced games like SW:KOTOR being upscaled in 4K is fantastic. Particularly when the PC version is a knightmare to run properly.

So the ability to play all of your old PS4 and XBO games on their successors will be a huge benefit.

Comment

In light of MS's movements Sony's CFO gives more clarity on the companies position on cloud gaming and says it'll take a lot longer than five years for cloud tech to threaten console hardware.

Comment

If the PS5 has BC with all the ps4 catalog, and you couple it with both the article above and the fact that the ps4 will have sold ~100 million units, that's a significant boost over the next Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              https://twinfinite.net/2019/02/sony-cloud-vs-ps4

In light of MS's movements Sony's CFO gives more clarity on the companies position on cloud gaming and says it'll take a lot longer than five years for cloud tech to threaten console hardware.
              There will never be a replacement for dedicated hardware for a given job.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                There will never be a replacement for dedicated hardware for a given job.
                There will be, one day. It'll just take time. You'll still have purists who still stick to the old and 'best' way. Like people who turn their noses up at Spotify and listen to vinyl instead, or people who laugh at mini/emulation consoles and play with real hardware on a PVM.

The fact is that once internet speeds reach a point where you're talking fractions of a MS in terms of latency you're not going to be able to tell the difference between the real thing in front of you or some streaming service being beamed from Sony HQ. Emulation is there right now, however getting a PC plugged into a CRT with real controllers is so bloody expensive (once you factor in the best lag-free USB adapters for the controllers) you may as well just stick to real hardware. It'd cost me a couple of hundred euros rigging my PC up to my PVM in a sufficient manner - fortunately retro hardware prices are not that steep (for the time being).
                Last edited by dataDave; 02-02-2019, 09:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  It means a lot to me; I'm much more likely to adopt early if this is the case.
                  Yeah, its a lovely feature and I also liked how the PS2 and Mega Drive used the old CPU's from the previous systems to be in the new systems handling functions and allowing full BC and how you could also use your old controllers.

Like to see that in the new gen. Given how cheap and reliable Jaguar CPU's why no have them as the sound chip and handle the front end side , so the new systems CPU's and GPU's are unhindered for gameplay and with using the old CPU inside the system (like MD or PS2) you get almost 100% BC with the old games and if like with the One X and PS4 Pro all your old controllers and Add-ons work that will be fab too.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    There will be, one day. It'll just take time. You'll still have purists who still stick to the old and 'best' way. Like people who turn their noses up at Spotify and listen to vinyl instead, or people who laugh at mini/emulation consoles and play with real hardware on a PVM.

The fact is that once internet speeds reach a point where you're talking fractions of a MS in terms of latency you're not going to be able to tell the difference between the real thing in front of you or some streaming service being beamed from Sony HQ. Emulation is there right now, however getting a PC plugged into a CRT with real controllers is so bloody expensive (once you factor in the best lag-free USB adapters for the controllers) you may as well just stick to real hardware. It'd cost me a couple of hundred euros rigging my PC up to my PVM in a sufficient manner - fortunately retro hardware prices are not that steep (for the time being).
                    Honestly i don't believe infrastructure (as is) will every be able to cope or get there Dave. Not until there is a worldwide satellite internet covering the globe with no need for wires or local installation, just too much work involved to get everyone up to those speeds, might happen in many decades.

Dedicated hardware isn't going anywhere though.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 02-02-2019, 10:51.

Comment

If the servers were max 1000km away and we all had fibre direct to our devices then absolute minimum added latency would be about 1/10th of a millisecond. You kinda need to break the known laws of physics to avoid that. If they got it down to that then we’re golden.

Comment

I’m always hearing ‘we’d have to break the laws of physics’ for game streaming to be good on forums, it feels like. Phooey, imo. Dave is spot on. We are very close to the point where game streaming is ‘good enough’ for most people, and dedicated hardware is not a requirement.

Comment

Absolutely agree. Hugely opens up the size of the market.

Comment

I'm sure Azure has been mentioned before around here. Anyone that's used Azure will know 2 things:
                            1: it's seamless and smooth...
                            2:... But only when your buildings network speeds are running without a hitch.

If you build a console that's cloud based and halfway in to a game you are hit with lag, you're likely to jump to the console that is hardware only. If MS go that way and there is even a hint of lag, the reputation will spread fast.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I’m always hearing ‘we’d have to break the laws of physics’ for game streaming to be good on forums, it feels like. Phooey, imo. Dave is spot on. We are very close to the point where game streaming is ‘good enough’ for most people, and dedicated hardware is not a requirement.
                              You didn’t hear that from me. I was pointing out that it’s definitely possible!

Comment

Got to factor in the sales of consoles into this as well. Sony do very well per box, plus having the box your profiting well out off powers the game it’s a no brainier.

I can’t imagine the cost of running enough servers to power 80m games (based on current PS4 sales) would be cost effective, especially as you’ll be missing the profits from the consoles.

Comment

Working...
                                X