Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    From industry people you know, or just internet chatter?

I'd be surprised if PSVR wasn't a part of the PS5 announcement, but I'd be equally surprised if it was the main focus. One of the big reasons PS4 has been such a success is that from the very beginning it was a proper, 'normal' games console that did all the normal games console things, at a decent price.

I'd be surprised that anyone would want to make an expensive peripheral the focus of the launch after the absolute cock up of Kinect 2.0.

If you ask me, Sony's main focus won't be PSVR - it'll be announcing something that feels credibly new and comes in at £349.
    A bit of both , suggestions that the external VR gubbins will be onboard so to speak

Comment

Kotaku does some digging and comes out saying 2020 launch at the very earliest

Comment

Good. Gives me time to save up, play backlog and the longer they leave it the more blown away we will be by the tech in use. Hopefully anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
          Given the way gaming is headed it doesn't appear that there will be much in the next gen aimed at the offline, single player anti social types who like buying a complete game in one go instead of being drip fed and bled.

And thats why I'll probably buy the next incarnation of the Switch instead.
          This is my concern too - there have already been many multi-player only, online only games this generation and that trend is probably only going to continue. Plus, as physical media goes the way of the dodo, my interest is going to dwindle. I won't go as far as to say I won't buy any consoles in future if they are all-digital, but I'll only buy a handful of games that I know I'll like. I certainly won't take a punt on any unknowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
            This is my concern too - there have already been many multi-player only, online only games this generation and that trend is probably only going to continue. Plus, as physical media goes the way of the dodo, my interest is going to dwindle. I won't go as far as to say I won't buy any consoles in future if they are all-digital, but I'll only buy a handful of games that I know I'll like. I certainly won't take a punt on any unknowns.
            A completely digital service would require some way for you to try a game before you bought it. Or offer a refund service. Things won’t be the same as they are now.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I always buy physical if possible, because I like the boxes. But I do find it quite mental when people say they will quit gaming altogether if they can no longer get the plastic boxes. Even at this point, it's just a box. Usually with a practically alpha version of the game inside.

Comment

Even I’ve reached the stage now when I’ll buy a digital game as long as it’s priced right. Though nothing enrages me more than digital being more expensive than physical.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Even I’ve reached the stage now when I’ll buy a digital game as long as it’s priced right. Though nothing enrages me more than digital being more expensive than physical.
                  [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] This is my biggest bugbear. Digital was supposed to reduce costs (no packaging, physical distribution costs etc) meaning that publishers could make the same money while selling the game cheaper.

Comment

It’s an absolute joke Ted, sometimes you look at the PS store and the prices are just absolutely insane. And don’t get me started on preordering a digital ‘special’ Edition. WTF.

Comment

I can easily imagine a shift away from GAAS in the coming years. Gamers have shown themselves to be very critical of how individual games handle the concept and there are some big successes but just as with every fad devs and publishers rush for, there's only so much market space for them and we're going to see some big name flops in the coming years as gamers are stretched too thin to support so many GAAS titles for years.

It still remains the same issue that devs and publishers need to find a way of making AA titles return in a reasonable way.

Comment

I started dabbling with digital about half way through the PS3's life. It made sense for me as I no longer had to worry about shipping costs and Customs taxes, and the actual shipping delay. I was playing games on the very day they were released. I've never bought a disc for Wii U, Xbox One or PS4 to this day. I think the last disc I bought was Biohazard: Operation Racoon City back in 2011.

You soon get used to not having shelves full of plastic cases, but folders full of games instead. It's definitely a lot easier to just press the PS button, select your game and play without having to get up messing about with discs too. You also tend to actually play the games you've paid for instead of sampling them for five minutes and adding them to that nerd shelf.

I'd be fully up for a PlayStation that didn't include a disc drive personally. Some kind of Wii-sized black box with flashy lights and more than two USB ports would suit me perfectly fine. Games are games at the end of the day, as long as you can play them, what is the problem in how they are delivered to your retinas?
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I went digital with my 3DS, which led to me fully blitzing the FreEshop like a right pirating twat. I've got about 60 games on there now and I fleet between them like a 13 year-old skims through Mega Drive romz.

Comment

That's 60 full-priced retail games, with around another 60 indie and VC titles. I found a fun metagame in trying to organise my lower-screen tiles nicely.

Comment

I didn't really want to restart the digital v physical debate again. About the PS5, an all-digital console would be disappointing, but an all-digital one with mainly multiplayer only or always online games would definitely mean I don't buy many games on it,

Comment

I can't get the issues over digital. It's so much easier and convenient than having to look for a disk, each time you want to play something different. I've loved being able to do that since I softmod my OG XBox and installed most of my games on it; I also do it more and more for music and movies too and rip most of my DVDs and CDs to the Hard Drive.

I think both the PS 5 and XBox II will still have a bluRay drive in it. Don't think the network is quite there, just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X