Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a scale of:

Likely<---------------------------------->Unlikely

You'd have to pack a camper van and drive hundreds of miles out from the right hand side of that scale to reach 'So impossible any news site reporting on it should be closed down for incompetence'

I'd say the chances of Sony getting into the portable space again are nil and they'd have a failure they don't want if they tried, so burned is the consumer from the Vita. Even if they made it effectively a streaming device that runs with a console at home, they'd be better just doing that via a phone screen and even then its pretty pointless and flawed. Sounds like pure made up stuff on the basis that surely Sony will cash in on Switch, but they won't and shouldn't for many reasons.

Comment

A handheld that plays all ps1, 2 and 3 games would do incredibly well. Games could be app store priced and sell bucketloads. Plus new handheld focussed stuff I guess.

Comment

As shameless as Sony are with their biting I don't see them going after the Switch demograph at all because that would make them "lose" against MS in the eyes of people who want a traditional powerful console.

Vita was so mishandled from the jump. Had they done it right (and included the extra buttons) it could've been the Wii U before the Wii U only more successful because a lot of folks would've picked it up for the off TV play and novel methods of interaction with PS3 has they actually had a strategy from the off.

Same with when they nerfed the PSTV as well because that could've became a really cool all in one emulation box but they left alone and it died on the vine. You hear me? *Tony Soprano voice* It died on the vine...

What would be dope but unlikely is if they were to make an ultra compact PS3 which featured no physical drive, was totally online oriented and allowed you to play PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP and Vita titles at home (most of which a CFW PS3 can do anyway) and came presented in a trio of case options with a mini PS1, mini PS2 and mini PS3 look to elbow their way into the Classic niche as a lot of people would buy all three even if they did the same thing inside plus they could get away with charging £100 for old tech and people would happily pay it. [MENTION=2492]cutmymilk[/MENTION]s portable idea is also dope because all they'd have to do then is make the console (which you'd assume they could repurpose a lot of Vita R&D) and boom, the rest of the library is already there and a lot of the demand would generate itself because of how cool it would be to be able to lug around 3 generations of games in your pocket and it could also put a dent in Nintendos domination of the handheld market.

Alas we are posting these excellent ideas such as these in this dank corner of the intertube whilst Sony's R&D dep is doing stuff like this:

Comment

These ideas are so simple that there must be reasons as to why they don't just happen.

Comment

Like noughties pop band Hoobastank, Sony look to have found a Ryzen to start over new, and the Ryzen is for me

Sony is said to be working hard on its toolline in relation to AMD's Ryzen processor. Many on Era are already ruining their Sunday best trousers with premature expectulations of a 2019 release date for the next gen.

Comment

There's been some chatter about Sony still looking at the situation of the Vita too and how it could have provided PS4 with more unique experiences. Some Switch regret or a hint at PS5?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                Like noughties pop band Hoobastank, Sony look to have found a Ryzen to start over new, and the Ryzen is for me.

Comment

Why can they only be found in pound shops these days?

Comment

This article is suggesting Sony intends a 2021 release for PS5

Comment

That sounds about right to me. I hope it's about then to be honest.

Comment

I'm still holding with November 2020

Comment

UPDATE: 15/6/18 18:25pm: Tech website WCCFTech has been in touch to point out that its report on the same story posted …

A new report says AMD are giving the main next gen focus on PS5

Comment

If that’s true then what on earth are Microsoft doing? Maybe they’ll leverage Navi but I would expect them to double down on DX12 functionality in hardware.

Comment

Not much of a news story but possibly a brief reference to its existence.

Comment

For many it may as well be codenamed Erogenous

Feels like late 2020 is a dead set certainty at this point

Comment

Working...
                                X