No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well last night I gave MH: w a good go and the fans didn’t overdrive once. They were on, but not in jet mode. Which is wierd as sun they were on turbine mode constantly while playing.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      This new pro though goes into overdrive soon as a game starts. If you lot have been putting up with this level of noise from a brand new system your nuts, it’s totally unnaceptable.
      I specifically listened to my PS4 Pro last night to see if it was noisy for you.
      I'd been playing Monster hunter: World for about an hour and it was still quiet.
      My projector was louder and that's pretty quiet and its speakers were louder than everything in the room even on the lowest setting.
      I had to get on my hands and knees and put my ear next to the PS4 to hear the fans.

In my experience, your PS4 Pro is noisier than it should be.
      Personally, I would exchange it whilst you still can at the shop. You'll regret it if you put up with it, fill up the drive and then wish you'd swapped it.

I hope this helps.
      I can film it if you need an example, mate.

EDIT: Sounds like it's quieter, but give it the weekend to decide, maybe?

Comment

Thanks QC much appreciated. It does sound like total roulette as to whether people get a noisy/loud one.

I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt until the weekend then if it’s still super noisy on average I’ll take it back and play the roulette game again.

Utterly ridiculous this is even a thing.

Comment

It depends on the game.

Mines quiet while on MH, loud while on Wolfenstein 2 (not 1) and not loud on the game in COD IW or MWR, but in the supply drop menu it goes mental. It’s all about whether it’s running at capped frame rates or not iirc.

Comment

Ikaruga rated for PS4.

Comment

First saw this report on Era, now getting wider range of coverage:

New rumours point towards a possible 2018 launch for the PlayStation 5, as another source claims game developers already have hardware.

Another report on dev kits for PS5 being in the wild, as well as how the console could physically be released in 2018.

Two more years of this until we get into realistic territory...

Comment

This is the same group that predicted PS4 specs in 2012, and the Nintendo/Nvidia partnership for Switch.

For me it's not stating anything unbelievable or revolutionary; i.e. AMD Zen-based CPU, Navi-based graphics architecture (and Navi in 2018 for PC) along with development kits being out there now. It feels like this fits for a 2019-2020 release window.

Ultimately as any console generation drags on, speculation about newer hardware amongst the hardcore fans will inevitably ramp up.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  I could watch this for hours...

Comment

I think when the original speculation started up it focused on the idea of early dev kits being out up to 2 years before the new consoles hit which I could understand hearing about now, it's the logic jump some make that MS might be considering killing off the XBX after a year that puzzle me as common sense alone shows that wouldn't happen.

I think I'm mostly curious as to how the extra power will be used. 60fps is out of the question and the 4K selling point has already been blown by both. The main argument for both companies for a new generation is that Pro and XBX scale games that are designed for XBO and PS4 architecture. So, it's more design and geometry that would benefit from the extra power of new consoles, ones that actually use the extra horsepower as games are designed specifically for them. That being said, I still expect most games, if 2019/2020 is the plan, to focus on bells and whistles at 1080p as a focus. 4K market penetration is years away from being where it needs to be.

Comment

Still ain't gonna see a solid 60fps all round. Unless you count the inevitable ps4 remasters...

Comment

Both Sony & MS would be better off with just revisions from now on ala pro & one x. Keep the revision at the RRP for the higher tier model and move the older one down to the lower rrp as the entry model.

At this point vr is already a curiosity that has blown its wad and 4K is clearly the standard to aim for, so they know what they need to do hardware wise. More powerful & better dev tools.

Comment

I think they've veered from formally going for revisions rather than new gens because in Sony's case Pro has done okay but shown revisions don't fuel the fires the same way putting a new number on the system title does, MS were keener on sticking with revisions but XBO seems to have killed that by creating a need for a fresh start given how behind they are now.

Comment

My prediction is that these machines will be revisions in all but name. A new hardware design, a new GUI for the front end, and only subtly tweaked pads are likely to be the order of the day. I think the biggest change will likely be that native 4K will be mandatory.

While 4K penetration isn't quite where it needs to be, it's still a bit chicken and egg as there isn't an awful lot you can do with 4K right now if you're not a PC gamer or Sky subscriber. PSPro's implementation is underwhelming to say the least, while XBX has got the power but only a small handful of software titles that take full advantage of it.

You can already barely buy a big screen 1080p TV - once that's combined with every new PS and XB game having full native support, I think we'll see more widespread uptake of the format.

Comment

*remembers the old days before HD was a standard and people were saying the same thing*

Oh, is that the time? If you'll excuse me I have to go yell at a cloud.

Comment

Though I can see the parallels with the HD move, tech adoption moves slower these days as the public aren't as easily sold as they were. Native 4K support wouldn't be a surprise though I'd doubt many devs will consider it strongly in the first half of the machines life cycles. Half the reason most PC and XBX games can do native 4K is because the underlying game wasn't designed for hardware that originally considered the resolution. I can imagine it being like the 900p/1080p situation this gen until a PS5 Pro/XBX2 do it right and also early tout 8K support.

Comment

Working...
                                X