• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's just crap.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Well that's just crap.
      my pro is super noisy but i tend to game with headphones on so it doesn't bother me but yeah its well bloody loud and its out in the open so god knows what sound it would make if i put it in a tv cabinet behind a door.

Comment

My PS4 Pro is quite quiet on not-Pro enhanced games. The fans kick in occasionally but the are never constant. The machine is wisper silent on the dash. On Pro games such as Assassin's Creed Origins, the fans will be louder more often but again in bursts. Obviously no where near as quiet as the Xbox One X but not as noisy as my OG Launch PS4. My consoles sit a few feet away from me in front of my TV so are reasonably well ventilated fwiw.

Comment

I had monster hunter world set to prioritise frame rate so maybe I’ll try one of the other settings and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

My Pro can be pretty noisy, especially with certain games (Doom and Uncharted, for instance).

Comment

Well that's just crap.
              What’s the ambient temperatures like in the room you use the Pro in?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                What’s the ambient temperatures like in the room you use the Pro in?
                Heating is on and about average temp to be honest for this time of year in a heated room. My near launch PS4 wasn’t this loud placed in exact same location in the same ambient temp.

In fact when I cleared all the dust out of it last year my first PS4 was whisper quiet from that point until it blew, not a peep from the fans going hyper.

This new pro though goes into overdrive soon as a game starts. If you lot have been putting up with this level of noise from a brand new system your nuts, it’s totally unnaceptable.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 20-03-2018, 13:39.

Comment

Take it back if you are not happy. 1st release consoles are always a bit janky in my estimation compared to the later, refined editions and knowing how conservative Sony are with their stock cooling settings - aim at a quieter end user experience instead of efficient long term hardware preservation - you can be pretty certain the jet turbine effect isn't doing anyone any favours in terms of durability.

There seems to be a bit of potluck in finding a quiet one as there are two different makes of fan in the Pro where one is quiet and the other isn't.

Checked it all out a while back as I was going to upgrade but decided to wait until the inevitable revision fixes these issues because an ugly console is acceptable but a noisy and ugly one is just taking the pish.

Comment

Heating is on and about average temp to be honest for this time of year in a heated room. My near launch PS4 wasn’t this loud placed in exact same location in the same ambient temp.

In fact when I cleared all the dust out of it last year my first PS4 was whisper quiet from that point until it blew, not a peep from the fans going hyper.

This new pro though goes into overdrive soon as a game starts. If you lot have been putting up with this level of noise from a brand new system your nuts, it’s totally unnaceptable.

Did you previously have a pro?
                    I can tell you Pro is one noisy bastard in comparison to a standard PS4, personally game with headphones on but don’t think I could stomach it without headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                      Did you previously have a pro?
                      I can tell you Pro is one noisy bastard in comparison to a standard PS4, personally game with headphones on but don’t think I could stomach it without headphones.
                      Near launch PS4.

Comment

The noise isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Comment

I think there is 'eye of the beholder' going on here in this thread.

Even Richard Leadbetter, Digital Foundry stated when the PS4 Pro came out that the acoustic profile of the PS4 Pro is very similar to the original release PS4. It's mentioned in the video that the Pro is 55db (I assume this figure is under-load), which is about the same as the original C-chassis PS4. It's also mentioned that there is some variance in the pitch of the fans. I think what isn't noted is that when the PS4 Pro plays non-Pro enhanced games it is noticeably quieter than an original PS4. But overall his statement that the acoustic profile is one of the weaker elements of the machine is probably a fair observation.

Obviously there are likely different fan suppliers, or parts with different tolerances, so it very probable that machines exist with different noise levels. I know my original Xbox One had a weird ball bearing sound, which others couldn't hear, but I could perceive from the minute I got the machine. Even though the Xbox One was a quiet console this gave mine a slightly annoying characteristic. Almost like a quiet ticking sound, which I couldn't 'un-hear'.

All of this said it should be very obvious (again an element of subjectivity) where fans go into a 100% (or high) spin rate. So it depends on what 'going into overdrive' means but I would imagine the PS4 Pro on constant 100% fans spinning would be very loud or untolerable. For example my MSI Nvidia GTX 1080 is very quiet (no fans when idling for example) but a game like The Division will spin them up quite high (I never measured how much). It's immediately obvious when this happens.

Personally I would say you either need to hear another PS4 Pro, or just take it back for a replacement if it is that bad.
                          Last edited by Digfox; 20-03-2018, 22:54.

Comment

In ten years time I bet video game consoles are louder than cars.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              In ten years time I bet video game consoles are louder than cars.
                              But we won't be able to hear them because the nano machines will la le li lo lu them.

Comment

My phat PS2 has a special kind of whine. Consoles without fans are the best tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                X