Let's listen to some great Megadrive music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's listen to some great Megadrive music

Let's use this thread to celebrate the sound chip of the Megadrive (YM2612) and the great composers that delivered some excellent music.

Theme of M.U.S.H.A Aleste by Toshiaki Sakoda

Huge boss jump arl ower and bray yer one.

Comment

BOM BOM BOM BOM

Comment

The Mega Drive sound chip in the hands of the Japanese was epic. In the hands of US developers it was god awful. Europe was a mixed bag at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          The Mega Drive sound chip in the hands of the Japanese was epic. In the hands of US developers it was god awful. Europe was a mixed bag at best.
          I'm guessing that's true. Any examples?

Comment

Comment

Good shout on that class ESWAT tune, I’m trying to think of different stuff, rather than the usual suspects.

Comment

Loving the Alien 3 and the Terminator OST’s, apart from the usual stuff that is....

Comment

[MENTION=4957]hudson[/MENTION] I do believe that this holds up as a fine example of [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]'s correct statement regarding relative US/JPN/EUR work on the MD/Genesis sound chip.

It is a banger.

Would also include Tsukachan's work on MD Shadow Dancer.

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-03-2018, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    @<u><a href="http://bordersdown.net/member.php?u=4957" target="_blank">hudson</a></u> I do believe that this holds up as a fine example of [M]
                    There's plenty of good examples of fine Mega Drive music from Western developers, but its always more cool to be Japanese for music on the MD, I guess. Thats to overlook the MD soundchip was pretty poor compared to the Amiga, nevermind Snes for music

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      There's plenty of good examples of fine Mega Drive music from Western developers, but its always more cool to be Japanese for music on the MD, I guess.
                      Did some western composers produce great MD music? Sure. Did some Japanese composers produce poor MD music? Yes. But all things considered, I do believe that the Japanese output was superior P4P. That is all.
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-03-2018, 13:01.

Comment

I could do better than that Alien3 tune. Pretty poor bass sound. Gotta say, so far the Japanese are winning Not coz they're cool guys

Comment

Did some western composers produce great MD music? Sure. Did some Japanese composers produce poor MD music? Yes. But all things considered, I do believe that the Japanese output was superior P4P. That is all.
                          That's debatable , but then music is very subjective. I wasn't that impressed with a lot of the music on the MD be it for Japan or the West tbh. I loved the music off my Amiga and when I got the SNES it was just a differnt class for music; no matter where the Music was produce.

I will say that in the 16 bit days Yuzo music was the best though

Comment

Here’s one you might not have heard as it doesn’t feature in a game, but nonetheless makes the absolute most of the MegaDrive’s sound capabilities, including good use of the PSG as well as YM:

Oh, and Hudson, you posted the wrong Revenge tune; it should’ve been China Town!

Comment

I do agree with a lot of what you say, and purely speculation but maybe most of the documentation / dev tools were in Japanese? Otherwise it seems strange when developers who clearly had a lot of musical talent on other platforms struggled so much on the MegaDrive. Compare Lotus 2 soundtrack on Amiga to Lotus Challenge on MegaDrive. Cannon Fodder, Desert Strike and Flashback are but more examples where there is a clear gulf between the two platforms in terms of music quality. Sometimes Western developers got it right - Wiz ‘n’ Liz, Alien3, Lion King and Mortal Kombat all have great soundtracks that stand shoulder-to-shoulder with their ported peers - but these were the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X