How much do you love music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you love music?

I was thinking the other day as I was in the car listening to The Smiths about how much I love music. During my waking hours I either have music on or I'm humming or singing to myself. That got me wondering how many here need music on the same level as me. It also struck me that although I have a lot of bands that I think are incredible, I consider The Smiths to be something so far beyond everything else that it's almost not even the same thing as the other music I listen to; like it's actually a different medium.

Anyway, share your thoughts here if you feel like it, I'm interested to know!

Outside of my wife, family and friends, music is by far one of the most important things in my life. Whether it be everyday listening or live, I just can't live without it. Music can lift or help with any mood you're ever in. Led Zeppelin and Bruce Springsteen to me are The Smiths to you.

Comment

I don’t consider music to be a hobby like gaming or films it’s an essential part of my life.
      When I’m at home I have music on.
      I started to listen to music seriously when I was six. I’d be behind the couch with my Dad’s big Boots branded headphones on in the evening.
      The older I’ve got the more critical I am about the quality of reproduction as well. I just want to hear it in all its glory all the time. I’ve spent a heck of a lot of money to get good quality reproduction wherever I am too. Got good headphones for music when I’m out and about. Alpine amp and speakers with a Focal sub in the car. Devialet Phantoms and Mac mini combo for music at home and Oppo headphones for listening to tunes, modern gaming and watching films when the good lady is in bed at night. Even got a customized Sony amp and Wharfedale speaker combo for my retro game systems.
      I find it weird that so many people I work with don’t share the passion for music that I do. They’re content to have Smooth radio on in the background and and that’s where their interest in music stops. And the amount of great live music these days is fantastic. So many good gigs and festivals too.
      Music is the common tie amongst my social circle, we’re all into music and have many happy memories of great gigs to share.

In terms of bands it’s Queen for me. Their output in the 70’s was phenomenal and I’ll never tire of listening to them.
      Last edited by CMcK; 17-03-2018, 14:16.

Comment

The Skynyrd!!

Comment

Glad to not be alone! I remember Bjork talking about how an album can save your life and I get what she means.

I've got a bluesound system at home but just a pioneer av amp and some tdl bookshelf speakers. Sennheiser momentum 2s for serious listening. I have a project carbon turntable too and any favourite albums get a vinyl purchase!

Comment

I'm not massively fussed about sound quality and I don't get to as much live music as I'd like, but music is life.

There's nothing that can beat hearing a song that hits you beyond being just a series of notes.

It could be the sound of a crunchy guitar riff, an orchestra playing in symphony, a beautiful lyric or funky drumbeat and it just bypasses any reasoning of what's "good" and just hits you.

Comment

I guess music is okay. The vengbus is coming... eh eh eh eh eh ehhhh ehhhhh.

Comment

Of all the people that were gonna get banned on here I never imagined it would be you @dogg_thang... Thread ruined, I'm taking my toys home.

Comment

I like the fact he's obviously thought about how many "eh" and "ehhhh" were required to replicate the Vengabus melody.

Also, "ehhhh" and "Vengabus" are in his phone's autocorrect library, so who's really lost, Brad?

Comment

Oh it's the obvious effort that went into it that makes it worse! It's in my head now.

Comment

In fact, what's the last piece music that affected people?

I saw Feeder on Wednesday and it was a great gig, but singing "Buck Rogers" at top volume with loads of other fans was pretty cathartic.

I got into Carpenter Brut just before Christmas, hammering their live album in the car. First track, "Escape from Midwich Valley" has this quiet breakdown with a music box jangle, then a monstrous riff kicks in and finally the jangle plays over the riff. Amazing.

Listened to the first album by The Sword in the car and "Freya" is still brilliant. It goes into a hypnotic riff in the middle 8 and I saw one guy moaning about how long it was in a "how to play" video, but to me, it builds up the layers until it's this unstoppable juggernaut. I can't not headbang to it. Well nod enthusiastically in time whilst keeping an eye on the road!

Comment

QC, if you haven’t yet checked out Perturbator you should.

Vengaboys aside, music is a huge part of my life and always has been, back from when I was a small kid with a tape recorder recording movie themes from the telly. Music does special things and is the closest to anything resembling a spiritual experience for me. It goes deep and affects me in ways nothing else really can. It can make a movie for me, for example. Interstellar was probably 90% about the score for me.

There isn’t a single genre of music I have yet found nothing to enjoy in. Yep, even country music. It sometimes takes a while - a few listens and something will click. But of course there are many pieces of music that will hit me on the first go and those are often quite special. A lot of my memories growing up are catalogued by the music I was listening to at the time. As I’m still discovering and looking for new music, it doesn’t look like that is going to change - getting older hasn’t affected that yet and I think there is some fantastic music being made today, pop or otherwise.

At the moment, I listen to a huge amount of kpop and synthwave, which is a bit of an odd mix but it makes sense with work. I can listen to both without getting too distracted by lyrics. Synthwave is often quite cinematic and stirs a mood, while kpop generally keeps me lifted. We need happy music sometimes.

Comment

It's definitely something I enjoy but am not passionate about. I like listening to the radio at work and I have to have something on when driving but I don't listen to it at home. It's something that I follow passively, I'll always be doing something else whilst it's on in the background. Same goes for what I listen to. Little of it is what anyone would consider to be 'cool'

I'm not really fussed about what's popular or well thought of. It absolutely awful act could still make a track I like but on the flip side any act I consistently like is purely down to the consistency of the songs they make rather than being a 'fan' of the act.

Compared to the missus who's the opposite, I'm incredibly melody led. Lyrics or instruments barely register with me, it's all about how the melody plays out.

Comment

Love my music, I normally go to a lot of gigs over the course of a year; it's taken over my gaming hobby in recent years. I'm not fussed about being cool or hip, I'll go to pretty much anything if I like the music.

The summer is going to be EPIC! (May onwards), I've got to see - The Shires, Bryan Adams, James Bay, The Rolling Stones, Beyoncé & Jay-Z, Sheryl Crow, Lenny Kravitz, Katy Perry and Eminem.

Between Spotify, YouTube and Prime Music you never have to buy any music but they claw it back in the touring.
                            Last edited by Miguel007; 19-03-2018, 13:27.

Comment

Music is a hugely important part of my life, has been for a very long time, and I can't imagine it any other way. Whatever music you're into is fine and dandy, but some people I've met tell me they don't really care for music at all, and I struggle to relate to that more than nearly anything else a person could say about themselves. My tastes have changed, mellowed, and broadened (in that order) over the years, but I try and keep as open a mind as I can.

As many of you have shared, certain songs remind me of places, people, eras of my life, and in some cases such specific moments and feelings that just a few notes can make me completely space out. Live music is one of my favourite ways to spend my time, and one of the big reasons that I continue to love living in London.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              It can make a movie for me, for example. Interstellar was probably 90% about the score for me.
                              I watched Interstellar for the first time while being a half-cut shambles; not paying full attention, falling asleep and waking up at key moments, etc. But what I do remember is that even in that state, I was completely awestruck by the score. I got some stick, even, for waking up in the middle of a dramatic scene and commenting on it.

... I promise I'm usually a much more considerate / thoughtful movie-watcher

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              In fact, what's the last piece music that affected people?
                              I recently came across 'Sunbather' by Deafheaven. It's somewhere between the instrumentality and denseness of black metal, but with the dramatic crescendos of post-rock, and I remember it being about 1am, with me sat at my computer, headphones on, just soaking it up and immediately loving it, with this wonderful feeling washing over me. Give the track 'Vertigo' a spin if you're curious - I think it's bloody great.

Comment

Working...
                              X