TV|Shark 008: Firefly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV|Shark 008: Firefly

Enjoying perhaps a longer shelf life than many other shows that was unceremoniously axed so early, the tale of Mal and his less than close-knit crew was told over just a few short weeks before the network got cold feet and yanked Joss Whedon's latest show off the air. A squirming battle was waged behind the scenes to breath new life into the property and that battle was won bringing us a single feature film that may not have led to a new life for the show but it did at least deliver a highly thought of bookend closure to the small run it had experienced.

Firefly / Serenity
    Ran: 1 Season (2002)
    Episodes: 14 Episodes and 1 Movie
    Taking hundreds of years from now when space travel is common place but those who do so live out there as part of new frontier that resembles half Chinese, half wild west influence, Firefly followed the ups and mostly downs of a ragtag crew mostly looking out for themselves. Their lives get put even more on the line when they take on board a brother and sister on the run that paint targets on their backs. The show painted a history for each characters, often in light of the Unification War that proceeded the events of the show though only certain aspects were ever explored with most backstory being related back to River's past suffering and the feared race of Reavers that prowled the outer edges. Leaning more on the lessons learnt by Buffy and Angels later years, Firefly set itself up as a show where it was unafraid to set up rounded, likeable characters yet allow them to later be affected by their experiences or be treated without kid gloves, a factor made full use of by Serenity, the eventual closing movie.

Share your thoughts and memories of Firefly and Serenity!

Best single series TV show ever! I will right anyone who says otherwise (not really).

I say single series so I can still claim House MD as my fave of all time.

Comment

Fans of Police Squad will be climbing into their squad cars and headed to your house via an increasingly over the top routes as we speak

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Fans of Police Squad will be climbing into their squad cars and headed to your house via an increasingly over the top routes as we speak
        Last edited by teddymeow; 19-03-2018, 14:16.

Comment

Firefly had all the ingredients of something I though I'd love but I never really connected with it. Didn't help that Fox aired it out of sequence and incomplete mind.

Comment

Ah I loved Firefly, warts and all. It just had a sense of fun and character that few shows could match in it's first season. It's a shame that Fox hung it out to dry and treated it like they did, it could have gone onto such bigger and better things. I appreciate that Serenity was commissioned to give the series a sense of closure, not many cancelled TV shows get that kind of treatment. Although I was never entirely satisfied with the way Serenity ended, I think some characters ended up in the wrong place if you know what I mean.

However it was a very fun ride while it lasted if only for my crush on Kaylee *swoon* Best engineer in a sci-fi show ever!

Comment

[MENTION=1826]Arashikage[/MENTION] I you, man!!

Comment

I only ever saw one episode. I liked it, I think.

Comment

I still sing the Ballad of Jayne.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    I still sing the Ballad of Jayne.
                    The hero of Canton?

Comment

Whole series is currently £4.99 on Amazon Video for HD or SD.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
                        Ah I loved Firefly, warts and all. It just had a sense of fun and character that few shows could match in it's first season. It's a shame that Fox hung it out to dry and treated it like they did, it could have gone onto such bigger and better things. I appreciate that Serenity was commissioned to give the series a sense of closure, not many cancelled TV shows get that kind of treatment. Although I was never entirely satisfied with the way Serenity ended, I think some characters ended up in the wrong place if you know what I mean.

However it was a very fun ride while it lasted if only for my crush on Kaylee *swoon* Best engineer in a sci-fi show ever!
                        That about sums it up for me too. I actually saw Serenity before the TV series though. Picked it up dirt cheap on Blu-ray last year and watced it all again. Still so good.
                        And yes I had a thing for Kaylee too....!

Comment

She comes across just as lovely in person too.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest that Serenity didn't spawn a sequel so always went into it expecting it to be an ending. It's a really decent film stand alone but sings when watched to close out Firefly. Man.... "like a leaf"...

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Firefly had all the ingredients of something I though I'd love but I never really connected with it. Didn't help that Fox aired it out of sequence and incomplete mind.
                            I never understand why they do that, unless they're intentionally trying to assassinate a show. But then, why do that when you've made the thing? How many opportunities did you miss between pre-production and that point?

This also happened to the Clerks cartoon. Now I'm not saying it would've saved it (as I'm not sure that really had the staying power to carry on) but it would help.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              .And yes I had a thing for Kaylee too....!
                              I'll be in my bunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X