Retro|Spective 031: Halo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
    Having never played any of the titles before and seeing that 1 gets all the hype is the Combat Evolved edition for the 360 the best to pick as it's supposed to be a remaster of the og Xbox title.
    I'd stay away from that version. The new graphics are very messy on 360 and add nothing but a lower frame rate. Stick to the original or the master chief collection as it has a nice 60fps version.

EDIT:360 version might be acceptable if played with the original graphics.

Comment

I spent the most time with Halo 2 online, so that one. By the time Halo 3 came out the player base seemed to be spread across too many games so it wasn't as easy getting a gang together which hurt that side of the game, that was also the last time I tried playing with random people using voice.
      Last edited by dataDave; 23-03-2018, 08:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Clue: One Rock...
        I'd guess but sadly I can't see that far.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
          Having never played any of the titles before and seeing that 1 gets all the hype is the Combat Evolved edition for the 360 the best to pick as it's supposed to be a remaster of the og Xbox title.
          I've just started the Combat Evolved version of the first game. It seems fine to me. The frame rate isn't silky smooth but it's not affecting my enjoyment of it at all. I've never played the game before so I've nothing to compare it to buy I don't have any complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
            I'd stay away from that version. The new graphics are very messy on 360 and add nothing but a lower frame rate. Stick to the original or the master chief collection as it has a nice 60fps version.

EDIT:360 version might be acceptable if played with the original graphics.
            Thanks, I've just done a bit of searching and it appears that the framerate issues are part and parcel of the port in both graphical versions and seeing as I'm a stickler for 60 FPS that automatically kicks it off the list.

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
            I've just started the Combat Evolved version of the first game. It seems fine to me. The frame rate isn't silky smooth but it's not affecting my enjoyment of it at all. I've never played the game before so I've nothing to compare it to buy I don't have any complaints.
            Me neither, I've never really played any FPS bar Riddick on the OG Xbox which was an absolutely stunning title back then and have been looking around to see what's worth playing on 360/PS3. Thinking of going for the original Crysis at the moment as but having just peeped this video:

Where the PS3 hits 4FPS (!!!!!) I think I may give that miss as well.

Comment

I'm not a massive FPS fan either but I enjoyed Halo 3. It was pretty forgettable though; I struggle to recall anything about it. I played Crysis 2 and thought it was really bland. There as lots of detail in the graphics but that seemed to be it's only redeeming feature. Halo 1 seems to be the best of the bunch, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                I'm not a massive FPS fan either but I enjoyed Halo 3. It was pretty forgettable though; I struggle to recall anything about it. I played Crysis 2 and thought it was really bland. There as lots of detail in the graphics but that seemed to be it's only redeeming feature. Halo 1 seems to be the best of the bunch, so far.
                Yeah, thats what I thought. I'm quite a snob when it comes to gaming and generally only consider playing those "Sunday Dinner" experiences that nail every aspect and have totally ignored the FPS genre thus far but I'm stunned that so many people put so much time into so many seemingly janky games. It speaks volumes when the crusty, rusty, dusty Halo 1 is still at the top of the pile.

Comment

Have you started playing it? It's good but there a fair bit of blind running around, not quite knowing where to go. And the Warthog is terrible to control. Other than that, it's stunning to look at in parts and there's a real sense of being in a believable, cohesive world. The combat is really well balanced and everything feels solidly made. I'm not quite getting the hype but I'm guessing part of that is due to it being a revolutionary game that pushed the genre forward. As a result, a lot of what it does is pretty standard now so it loses impact.

Comment

Working...
                  X