General gaming questions that aren't thread worthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General gaming questions that aren't thread worthy

Rather than spamming random new threads or, even worse, not asking a question that pops into my head I started this general topic and you're free to join in.

Starter:

Is the first Crysis worth playing on PS3 for the first time ever?

and:

Is the first Deus Ex worth playing on PS2 also for the first time ever.

Don't have a PC so that's not an option even though I know it would give the best experience. With Crysis I'm just looking for a good fps that is fun to play and Deus Ex is something I've always wanted to try and now, via CFW I can.

All I can say is the first time I played Deus Ex was on PS2 and it was bloody awesome. Though it *was* 2002. I reckon it'd still be fun if one could overlook the Dual Shock controls and sporadically shonky framerate. It's certainly still epic on the PS2, I'd say grab a copy it's like 50p innit.

Comment

I first played Crysis on the PS3, seemed a passable way of playing it though the game didn't particularly wow. That being said, 2 had long been and gone by then.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
        Is the first Deus Ex worth playing on PS2 also for the first time ever.
        Hard to say. First off I'd say play it on PC if you're going to play it, as the PC version is better in nearly every way (except for the cutscenes, which were real-time on PC but not great, and pre-rendered on PS2 and still not amazing but better).

However, it's a bad-looking game, not just because its old. Even at the time, the environments weren't much to look at and the animation was laughable. I'm not sure if it would hold up today.

Comment

Crysis is still worth playing. I started it last year and enjoyed the first hour or so before getting distracted with something else. I'd like to go back eventually. I think the island setting works better than the city of the sequel.

Deus Ex is proper clunky, but is still a good game, but I'd probably see if you can get a PC to play it on.
          It'll play on most old PCs, given it's age and it's about £7 on GoG.

Deus Ex: Revision, a mod which drastically overhauls the FPS/RPG masterpiece while pre

Comment

You should be able to play Deus Ex on any sort of x86 PC you have access to.

As for Crysis... It's a technical demo best played on PC IMO.

Comment

Thanks folks, I had a feeling you'd all champion the PC version of Deus Ex as everyone does thanks to it being the original and having all those mods but its not playable on my old Macbook Air and even still I prefer TV gaming. I could probably overlook the graphics because lots of people say that its the benchmark of stealth action and I really did enjoy HR and MD so it'd be nice to see what started it all off. Just wondering if a thick layer of rose tint is essential for a first play now or if it holds up?

I don't usually play FPS titles like Crysis but it got my interest a while back for some reason (think it was mentioned in the Titanfall 2 thread) and just wanted to check it was worth the price of entry or to pick something else which best represents the genre?

New question:

Is it worth playing MGS Peace Walker HD? Just finished the really quite decent and occasionally worthy ("We grown ups have to watch our calorific intake. You're not watching your nicotine intake!") MGS4 which looked absolutely spectacular for a PS3 title and am wondering if the upscaled portable game in your living room is worth the 20 hours of time it asks or should I skip straight to MGS5?

So glad I heeded your collective advice last time and didn't dive straight in to 4 without playing 2 and 3 as there is heaps and heaps of fan service in there. Also I can now see why people played these titles many many times in between each release and squeezed out all of the secrets as there is so much detail in there and freedom. Great call on the recommendation.

Comment

I personally never took to Peace Walker but I know there are some narrative links if you try that game before moving to Ground Zeroes and then Phantom Pain so it might be worth a punt

Comment

I've already got it as it's part of the HD collection but memories of how meh the other PSP MGS title was is really putting me off trying this one as I just don't think it's formula can handle the big game>portable>back to tv transition just how the PSP God Of War titles feel so sparse when remastered in comparison to the originals.

Comment

Peacewalker is great with a friend. Love that game. Especially the vocoloid singing Metal Gear boss.

Comment

Who was it who bought one of those hdmi scanline generator doofer? I think it was [MENTION=324]capcom_suicide[/MENTION] but it was lost in the recent forum issue. Just wondering if it was any good?

Comment

I thought you'd already bought one and got rid of the ossc?

Comment

That was a scart scan line generator mate for using on that little 4:3 LCD TV, the set is so old it has no hdmi! I'm more thinking for giving the crt look to some stuff I've downloaded from PSN on the living room TV.

Comment

If I get this...

Will it work with this,

so I can use one set of headphones on both consoles?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Crysis is still worth playing. I started it last year and enjoyed the first hour or so before getting distracted with something else. I'd like to go back eventually. I think the island setting works better than the city of the sequel.
                              I thought the sequel was the greyest game ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X