Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    I think we got this? I don't think the "Ratchet & Clank" game for the PS4 was a remake. I just didn't buy it because it wasn't 60fps!!
    You didn’t buy it because it wasn’t 60fps? Why do you need that in a game that looks like a Pixar movie it’s so gorgeous? Not like you need pixel perfect control.

Just sit back, watch the gorgeous world explode and laugh at the jokes. Job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      New generation of consoles next year means at this point we effectively have it as good as in writing:

No true Gran Turismo 7 this entire generation
      No Bioshock 4 this entire generation
      No Grand Theft Auto VI this entire generation
      No Beyond Good and Evil 2 this entire generation
      No Rayman sequel this entire generation
      No Saints Row V this entire generation
      No Burnout 6 this entire generation
      No Dead Space 4 this entire generation
      No true Ratchet and Clank sequel this entire generation
      In all honesty, I'd say only one of these is a real surprise, which is GTA. A lot of these franchises kinda felt like they had either run their course last gen and might struggle to make the jump to the next (Bioshock, Saints Row, Dead Space) or are mired in eternal development cycles (Gran Turismo, Beyond Good and Evil).

GTA is a surprise though, as is the lack of a new TES. These felt like ones that were really locked in for significant sequels this generation, but it hasn't happened. I still think there's a good chance GTA will be cross gen, but will still launch well after PS5/XB4 are on the market.

If you like your sequels though SF, gird your loins for the PS5 - I've got a feeling that after the glut of successful rebooted and new series that Sony have delivered this gen, we're going to be seeing a real case of sequelitis on PS5, and probably fewer entirely new games from them.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
        You didn’t buy it because it wasn’t 60fps? Why do you need that in a game that looks like a Pixar movie it’s so gorgeous? Not like you need pixel perfect control.

Just sit back, watch the gorgeous world explode and laugh at the jokes. Job done.
        It's a personal irk. I want all games to be 60; that game kinda irritated me because all the prior ones were 60 and that was 30; I can only vote with my wallet so I didn't buy it. There are a fair few games for which I've done this in the past, such as not getting into the early Forza Horizon titles. Resolution doesn't matter to me; I would play most games in 720p if it meant I could have 60fps.

Bear in mind I don't expect others to agree Like I said, it's a personal irk.

Comment

I honestly thought you were being sarcastic about not buying it because it wasn't 60fps and that Fishbowl had missed the joke.

Comment

It's a personal irk. I want all games to be 60; that game kinda irritated me because all the prior ones were 60 and that was 30; I can only vote with my wallet so I didn't buy it. There are a fair few games for which I've done this in the past, such as not getting into the early Forza Horizon titles. Resolution doesn't matter to me; I would play most games in 720p if it meant I could have 60fps.

Bear in mind I don't expect others to agree Like I said, it's a personal irk.
            I can assure you that’s R&C PS4 is as smooth as summer warmed butter and never misses a beat. You can’t even tell it’s 30fps it’s so rock solid.

I can also assure you your missing out on one hell of a game

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I honestly thought you were being sarcastic about not buying it because it wasn't 60fps and that Fishbowl had missed the joke.
              Nope. Bear in mind though, I'm not totally consistent. If I insisted on only ever playing 60fps games and nothing else, I'd rarely play anything. It was just because one of the developers said at an interview they didn't think it was important, that no-one cared about it and it wouldn't affect sales - which was kinda red-rag-to-a-bull for me.

EDIT: Their article was here:

Though interestingly they've removed it now. It just said that dropping to 30fps doesn't affect sales or reviews.

And plus, it isn't like Insomniac will have lost any sleep over my non-purchase... But again, I can only vote with my wallet.
              Last edited by Asura; 15-05-2019, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                New generation of consoles next year means at this point we effectively have it as good as in writing:

No true Gran Turismo 7 this entire generation
                No Bioshock 4 this entire generation
                No Grand Theft Auto VI this entire generation
                No Beyond Good and Evil 2 this entire generation
                No Rayman sequel this entire generation
                No Saints Row V this entire generation
                No Burnout 6 this entire generation
                No Dead Space 4 this entire generation
                No true Ratchet and Clank sequel this entire generation

We've had some HD remasters or updates in some cases but barring a very last minute surprise developers have failed to show us what these games would have been like properly realised on current generation consoles. Bearing in mind this is a generation that will staggeringly have delivered Shenmue 3, a new Toejam and Earl and even a Battletoads game.
                Even if the rumours of November 2020 are true, there are still 19 months left of this gen being current. Isn’t that a little early to be abandoning ship? How do you know that none of these games will release in that frankly huge time space?
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Nope. Bear in mind though, I'm not totally consistent. If I insisted on only ever playing 60fps games and nothing else, I'd rarely play anything. It was just because one of the developers said at an interview they didn't think it was important, that no-one cared about it and it wouldn't affect sales - which was kinda red-rag-to-a-bull for me.

EDIT: Their article was here:

Though interestingly they've removed it now. It just said that dropping to 30fps doesn't affect sales or reviews.

And plus, it isn't like Insomniac will have lost any sleep over my non-purchase... But again, I can only vote with my wallet.

I always thought ( and i could be wrong) with 60fps it makes controls more responsive as refreshing twice as fast.

But yeah i feel similar though i can play stuff at 30fps and get by as long as the frame rate is constant, but still saddens me why effects and resolution has been given priority

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                    God of War is 60fps in performance mode which is the best way to play!

You'll need a PS4 Pro though...
                    It's not locked at 60 FPS though, runs between 45 - 60.

Comment

If I insisted on only ever playing 60fps games and nothing else, I'd rarely play anything.
                      I will foolishly hope that the next gen consoles leave 30fps behind. It really needs to end. When you have the PC side of gaming talking about 120fps or more, not having 60fps as a basic standard on consoles feels so archaic.

I guess it all comes down to the industry agreeing to never accept 30fps again. If one developer decides to go with 30fps and more detailed graphics, then some people will laugh at 60fps with less detail. It's up to the professionals who make games to decide once and for all never to accept 30fps again. 30fps needs to be consigned to console history.

I know it won't happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                        I always thought ( and i could be wrong) with 60fps it makes controls more responsive as refreshing twice as fast
                        It's a bit more complicated than that. Certainly in older games, like comparing Virtua Fighter 1 to Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn, yes, it was true that the games were just more responsive due to the higher framerate.

Modern games are a bit more complex because they don't use the framerate as their "timestep"; they update their physics etc. a set number of times per second, irrespective of framerate. It's why "slowdown" in modern 3D games isn't like older games where it was almost like the game went into slow-motion. For instance, Forza Horizon claimed that even though the game rendered at 30fps, all of the game's logic was actually still going at the same rate as the 60fps games, meaning the game should play the same regardless.

However, from what I've read from industry sources, there's a great deal of debate about this topic. The basic summary is "60fps shouldn't feel more responsive than 30fps but it does". Then there are some people who genuinely can't tell the difference between 30, 60 and 100fps; like anything over 30 is just the same to them provided it's consistent (forget about the "film runs at 24fps" thing because that often gets trotted out in this discussion, and it's true, but irrelevant).

A good comparison you can try if you play Splatoon 2 is how the game runs at 30fps in the lobby but 60fps in-match. I noticed immediately when playing those games for the first time, and the lobby definitely feels different in terms of control responsiveness.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I will foolishly hope that the next gen consoles leave 30fps behind. It really needs to end. When you have the PC side of gaming talking about 120fps or more, not having 60fps as a basic standard on consoles feels so archaic.

I guess it all comes down to the industry agreeing to never accept 30fps again. If one developer decides to go with 30fps and more detailed graphics, then some people will laugh at 60fps with less detail. It's up to the professionals who make games to decide once and for all never to accept 30fps again. 30fps needs to be consigned to console history.

I know it won't happen though.
                        I always found this weird, too, because one of the biggest game series ever - Call of Duty - tends to strive for 60. You see developers online saying "the general public doesn't care" but then they buy the leading 60fps title in droves, and I bet if you asked them why they love it, one of the things they would list would be a ragtag collection of descriptors like "it's smooth", "it moves well", "I love the animation", "the explosions look great"... Many of which derive from it being 60fps!
                        Last edited by Asura; 15-05-2019, 19:56.

Comment

Do you know what I miss?

Attract sequences. I really miss attract sequences for some reason.

They were like a cool trailer of the game that let you see what was coming up.

The Sonic Adventure one was epic.
                          So was Soul Blade.
                          And Demons Souls.

I can’t think of any good ones in the last few years.

Comment

Definitely Super Street Fighter IV, but I'll agree with the thrust of what you've said - they're a bit of a dying breed.

I mean look at Apex Legends; I wonder how many Twitch Streamers you can buy for the cost of a 90-second CGI cinematic.

Comment

IYou see developers online saying "the general public doesn't care"
                              That's partly why 30fps will probably persist. If a publisher can have games looking 'prettier' at 30fps, many will give the go ahead because they think the general public won't care about a bit of clunkiness in the way a game feels to play.

But maybe I'll be surprised, because there are signs that 'frame rate' is something people have become more aware of. This might lead to 30fps being left behind like SD and 720p were, simply because a majority of gamers will expect 60fps as a base standard.

Tech has made huge advancements over the past 15 years. 1080p gradually became a standard. Now 4K is desirable. Hopefully 60fps will become the norm/standard with console gaming next gen. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Do you know what I miss?

Attract sequences. I really miss attract sequences for some reason.

They were like a cool trailer of the game that let you see what was coming up.

The Sonic Adventure one was epic.
                                So was Soul Blade.
                                And Demons Souls.

Smash?

Comment

Working...
                                X